• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

60 Series helos and landing on ships in tight confines

MasterBates

60S on CG is a bit tight for normal ops. Yes, you can fit. Yes, the crewman has to watch the tail. If it was a B/F/H/R short wheelbase model, it would have twice the fuel, less constraints on landing, and weigh about the same empty.

Pags

N/A
pilot
60S on CG is a bit tight for normal ops. Yes, you can fit. Yes, the crewman has to watch the tail. If it was a B/F/H/R short wheelbase model, it would have twice the fuel, less constraints on landing, and weigh about the same empty.

Landing on a CG in a 60S is no big deal. Done it numerous times.

If it had the 60B fuel system then it couldn't carry as much as it does.

I don't know what the landing constraints are that you're talking about. I've landed on every ship in the fleet with no constraints.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Explain to me how a B/H/R have the same weight when empty? The Hotel and Bravo weigh about the same and we all know the bloated piece of aluminum that is the Romeo isn't "light." All three are considerably heavier than a Sierra.

Or do you mean a Sierra w/ a short wheelbase would weigh the same as a Sierra in it's current form?

MasterBates

Shorty S would weigh about the same. When I mean "empty" I mean all internal crap gutted. MARS rack, UYS-1, MAD Gear, All the electronics.

A "trucked out" F is still a bit heavier.. but if you actually "trucked it out all the way" the weight is similar.

Sorry if my late night drunkpost was not clear.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Landing on a CG in a 60S is no big deal. Done it numerous times.

If it had the 60B fuel system then it couldn't carry as much as it does.

I don't know what the landing constraints are that you're talking about. I've landed on every ship in the fleet with no constraints.

No RAST, therefore it is more difficult to deploy an MH-60S on a CRUDES than a B/F/H/R.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No RAST, therefore it is more difficult to deploy an MH-60S on a CRUDES than a B/F/H/R.

Meh. Cruisers aren't that big a deal. The first several Tico's didn't have RAST and LAMPS deployed on them okay. As long as you only have one bird, it's a non-issue. They did that as late as 2004.

Now a DDG or FFG, yeah, probably more of a big deal, but on the list of things to be disappointed in for the Sierra, that seems pretty low in the priorities.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Coming soon to a Sierra near you - RAST package attached to the cargo hook.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Difficult, but no impossible. USNS ships don't have a RAST and 60S have successfully deployed to them.

I don't think LCS has a RAST. MH-60S has and will deploy on them again.

Also, since the 60S was originally intended as a replacement for the Phrog, there was no need for it to deploy to a CRUDES since that was never a mission of the HC community.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The biggest problem with deploying a non-RAST helo to a smallboy (DDG, FFG, CG) is getting the helo in the hangar. Not a lot of room to do manual moves on those decks, and IIRC it's an emergency if you have to do one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not a lot of room to do manual moves on those decks, and IIRC it's an emergency if you have to do one.

Again, not true on a CG. I know what NWP says, but it was actually ops normal for the first four Tico ships.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The biggest problem with deploying a non-RAST helo to a smallboy (DDG, FFG, CG) is getting the helo in the hangar. Not a lot of room to do manual moves on those decks, and IIRC it's an emergency if you have to do one.

It's an emergency for LAMPS guys, or is these days. HSC-8 put an MH-60S or two on a small boy a few years and was able to operate. It's difficult within the realm of "normal HSL ops" but not impossible if it needs to get done.

I don't think LCS will have a RAST, so it will be manual moves there as well. There's been some talk of developing a "small boy tow tractor" or something like that.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
It's an emergency for LAMPS guys, or is these days. HSC-8 put an MH-60S or two on a small boy a few years and was able to operate. It's difficult within the realm of "normal HSL ops" but not impossible if it needs to get done.

I don't think LCS will have a RAST, so it will be manual moves there as well. There's been some talk of developing a "small boy tow tractor" or something like that.

There is a special piece of SE gear that we used to move the -60S in and out of the hangar on LCS-1. It scooped up the tailwheel and looked like a push cart. Battery operated. Actually pretty slick.

Real pilots don't need RAST. :icon_tong