• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

60s and their oftentimes cantankerous fuel systems - discuss!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nah, that's the FD. ESPN comes on in the MD (the screen to the right).

It's a dream to fly on. You don't so much scan, more take it all in at once.

My personal favorite:
Fuel:
LEFT: 1120 RIGHT: 1140
TOTAL: 3020

Glass cockpits are awesome, they make fuel for you!

Pags

N/A
pilot
My personal favorite:
Fuel:
LEFT: 1120 RIGHT: 1140
TOTAL: 3020

Glass cockpits are awesome, they make fuel for you!

Yeah....the fuel gauges on the FD don't include an aux tank gauge. But they do include the aux tank gas in the total. Not sure if that's because they haven't bothered to update that part of the software or if the intent is only to show usable gas as the gas in the aux tank has to manually transferred to be used. So, it's possible, if you're a big dumb idiot or unlucky, to have min fuel in your mains but still have a full aux tank. The other screen has a nice little graphic that covers all the gas, including aux tanks, in the bird though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah....the fuel gauges on the FD don't include an aux tank gauge. But they do include the aux tank gas in the total. Not sure if that's because they haven't bothered to update that part of the software or if the intent is only to show usable gas as the gas in the aux tank has to manually transferred to be used. So, it's possible, if you're a big dumb idiot, to have min fuel in your mains but still have a full aux tank. The other screen has a nice little graphic that covers all the gas, including aux tanks, in the bird though.

That's what I figured, but thought it was amusing.

I was over at -26 a few weeks ago talking to my old det (Senior) Chief and he was telling me about one of their aircraft that would randomly read different fuel loads depending on the height of the moon or if it was an odd Sunday or whatever weird thing was causing it. Maybe a Sierra guy would immediately say "oh, that's the feltzer sensor..." but it had a bunch of AMs stumped, from what he was telling me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's what I figured, but thought it was amusing.

I was over at -26 a few weeks ago talking to my old det (Senior) Chief and he was telling me about one of their aircraft that would randomly read different fuel loads depending on the height of the moon or if it was an odd Sunday or whatever weird thing was causing it. Maybe a Sierra guy would immediately say "oh, that's the feltzer sensor..." but it had a bunch of AMs stumped, from what he was telling me.

Yeah, I've seen it where every once in awhile we'd get eronneous readings from one of our sensors. I want to say I've also seen the low lights go on when the tanks are full. It was one of those obnoxious, intermittent gripes that you know wasn't right but you had no way to determin accurate readings. They'd troubleshoot and it'd go away the next day and come back later. Stupid trons.

PM me the name of the Senior, will ya?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I've seen it where every once in awhile we'd get eronneous readings from one of our sensors. I want to say I've also seen the low lights go on when the tanks are full. It was one of those obnoxious, intermittent gripes that you know wasn't right but you had no way to determin accurate readings. They'd troubleshoot and it'd go away the next day and come back later. Stupid trons.

PM me the name of the Senior, will ya?

I don't know if it has anything to do with computerization and/or glass cockpit, but it seems that shit is fucked up and then just corrects itself. I remember one day we were headed up to Santa Barbara, taxied out to the pad. One tank was stuck at 760lb and the other full, with a half-full aux. Tried to transfer fuel to fill the one low-tank. Didn't work. Tried a whole bunch of trouble shooting. Nothing worked. Then we finally taxied back and finally got it transferring. No clue what we did to make it work. Some sort of pre-check stuck or something, but it corrected itself.

Then today we had a problem on FCF of a starter not dropping out within its proper range, but did drop out a couple % above. It was an up-gripe so we FCFed and came back. IP left me to do the waterwash. #2 starter didn't drop out, even once I went to idle. Pulled the PCL, nothing. Pulled a few more times for good measure. Nothing. Fuck. OK, pulled the CB and continued the WW.... who knows how the fucking 'trons work. I was an aero eng, not electrical...fuck 'trons.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don't know if it has anything to do with computerization and/or glass cockpit, but it seems that shit is fucked up and then just corrects itself. I remember one day we were headed up to Santa Barbara, taxied out to the pad. One tank was stuck at 760lb and the other full, with a half-full aux. Tried to transfer fuel to fill the one low-tank. Didn't work. Tried a whole bunch of trouble shooting. Nothing worked. Then we finally taxied back and finally got it transferring. No clue what we did to make it work. Some sort of pre-check stuck or something, but it corrected itself.

Then today we had a problem on FCF of a starter not dropping out within its proper range, but did drop out a couple % above. It was an up-gripe so we FCFed and came back. IP left me to do the waterwash. #2 starter didn't drop out, even once I went to idle. Pulled the PCL, nothing. Pulled a few more times for good measure. Nothing. Fuck. OK, pulled the CB and continued the WW.... who knows how the fucking 'trons work. I was an aero eng, not electrical...fuck 'trons.

If you're trying to xfer fuel with a full main, it won't work, because the high level shutoffs in the full main will turn off the transfer. You'd have to crossfeed a motor to burn down the high tank and then xfer. I'm gonna guess it corrected itself because you burned down some fuel in the high tank to the point where it would let you transfer fuel.

As for the starter, it's more than likely not a tron issue, but is probably a stuck valve somewhere in the pneumatic system allowing air to continue to flow to the starter.

NATOPS complete my butt....:)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Maybe a question better suited for the "dumb questions of Naval aviation" thread, but in the -60 RAG/FRS, do you all fly with student AW's, or are they instructors as well?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're trying to xfer fuel with a full main, it won't work, because the high level shutoffs in the full main will turn off the transfer. You'd have to crossfeed a motor to burn down the high tank and then xfer. I'm gonna guess it corrected itself because you burned down some fuel in the high tank to the point where it would let you transfer fuel.

As for the starter, it's more than likely not a tron issue, but is probably a stuck valve somewhere in the pneumatic system allowing air to continue to flow to the starter.

NATOPS complete my butt....:)

Well, as for the fuel xsfer... it was a LONG time ago, but IIRC, the we kept trying to xsfer the fuel, which filled up the 4X4 tank, and nothing on the "stuck" tank. Then finally, with a full "good" tank, the "stuck" tank filled up from the aux tank with the xsfer.. so the high-level shutoff from the "good" tank didn't shut off the xsfer.

And yeah, as for the starter... the likely cause was the valve... since before we did a restart, they shifted the valves and the starter-dropout problem followed the swap.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Maybe a question better suited for the "dumb questions of Naval aviation" thread, but in the -60 RAG/FRS, do you all fly with student AW's, or are they instructors as well?

The FRACs (Fleet replacement air crew) fly with a qualified instructor crew-chief, just as we FRP (fleet replacement pilots) fly with a qualified RAG IP.

Sometimes we just fly with a crew-chief if a FRAC isn't scheduled for our flight.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well, as for the fuel xsfer... it was a LONG time ago, but IIRC, the we kept trying to xsfer the fuel, which filled up the 4X4 tank, and nothing on the "stuck" tank. Then finally, with a full "good" tank, the "stuck" tank filled up from the aux tank with the xsfer.. so the high-level shutoff from the "good" tank didn't shut off the xsfer.

4X4? What the heck? Do you mean 4.0?

Sounds like an odd fuel system situation. That system can get a bit weird sometimes. Lots of the problems usually get fixed if you fill the tanks. Then it magically gets better.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
4X4? What the heck? Do you mean 4.0?

Sounds like an odd fuel system situation. That system can get a bit weird sometimes. Lots of the problems usually get fixed if you fill the tanks. Then it magically gets better.

Yeah, sorry. Jack Daniels and a long day = me not making sense (even more than usual). It was odd. But we tried a few things that I can't remember, and all was well. We got the X's done and an out and in to Santa Barbara, complete with Midshipmen going to get us lunch. :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You guys don't have auto transfer? Even the Bravo has auto transfer from the AUX tanks!

As I understand it (read: as was explained to me), the Seahawk fuel system is VERY different from the blackhawk (knighthawk) fuel system in that the premises behind the designs are completely different.

Navy = concerned with using MAXIMUM fuel possible, so transferring fuel between tanks is mucho importante to get all the gas you can since tanks getting shot is rare.

Army (MH-60S) = separate tanks mucho importante in case one tank gets shot up and contaminated, the remaining tank is completely separate and usable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Now that you mention it, I think it was a fuel low/VIDS (or whatever you guys call it) issue.

And you didn't stop by to say hi? I'm hurt, we're only in the hangar right next door...

I did drive by and see your rickety-ass aircraft. It was a weekday, reservists don't work on the weekdays, right? Oh, maybe you were too busy "rewriting the instrument test."

Welcome to the T700. As Pags said, it's not really 'trons, just sticky switches. There's all kinds of permutations of how the starter can be a pain in the ass.