• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"612, Charlie, spot...."

bluesig1

sure thing
None
pretty cool looking flare, or whatever its called. I bet the crew felt their stomachs move on that.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You can get into it horizontally just as easily as vertically...I he came blowing through there and stood it on its tail he could very well induce it.
Not really - when you flare like this, Nr builds quickly, so you increase collective to... gah, I am not arguing this one.

S.O.B.

pilot
Shouldn't the stab prevent this kind of attitude? I wouldn't this guy get shit on for a maneuver like this near the boat?

Rubiks06

pilot
No...thats a pretty common attitude for the Sierra guys at IB when they are at the bottom of their autos. Pretty cool to watch. My understanding was that the stab was really only to prevent unusually high nose attitudes in slow and hovering flight.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shouldn't the stab prevent this kind of attitude? I wouldn't this guy get shit on for a maneuver like this near the boat?

If it was part of an "airshow" demo then no. If this guy came around to land at the spot on a normal landing, I think the boat CO would have a problem with it.

S.O.B.

pilot
If it was part of an "airshow" demo then no. If this guy came around to land at the spot on a normal landing, I think the boat CO would have a problem with it.

I have a little time in 60s and don't remember any approved maneuvers that would put you in an attitude like that. It's not like the Big Iron quick stop: 60s don't do that and I always thought the reason was because of the stab.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That is an HS bird (i.e. CV-based squadron) doing a "tactical" approach - not coming in for a regular landing. No, I don't know why they think that is better than a sideflare.

Looks like a pretty standard AFU SAR bird approach. Smiles if it doesnt apply to you, serious if it does.

At least the SAR birds could get into the blocks without a towbar attached. As a skid guy you may feel exempt from that comment, in which case I will just suggest you fly on without your wheel kits. Again.

Smiles all around.....

Pags

N/A
pilot
I doubt it's the bottom of an auto...doing practice autos over the ocean not such a good idea. My guess would be an aggressive quick stop.

While you can get into VRS doing a quick stop, it's not going to happen if done right. I've done plenty of autos and quick stops and no VRS.

The stab isn't going to prevent you from going nose high if you yank back on the cyclic.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I doubt it's the bottom of an auto...... My guess would be an aggressive quick stop....
That's what I thought too, even though I only know enough about HELO's to be dangerous.

This is the entry to a similar maneuver one of the local SAR Bruddah's did on my deck.
He got up a good head of steam and then stood the bird on its tail while coming to a screeching halt ....

And all it took was for Trophy Wife to jump up & down in a bikini and wave at the boys to get 'em into the game face .... those Navy show offs. :D

dsc02129fv4.jpg
dsc02128smallhh4.jpg

Photos by A4sForever

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
No...thats a pretty common attitude for the Sierra guys at IB when they are at the bottom of their autos. Pretty cool to watch. My understanding was that the stab was really only to prevent unusually high nose attitudes in slow and hovering flight.
It also programs up during autorotational flight.