• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A day at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTodd

This Candidate disloctae shoulder at OCS and has to get surgery b4 he can go back!!!
3 weeks till Graduation, just got my Uniform measured and fited, yeah Iam pissed.
Can not wait until I go back!!!

GTodd

Hopefully I wil be there with you. Although I do not know what would be worse a Quantico Summer or Quantico Fall/Winter. COld day and cold quigly or hot day and warm quigly.

utrico

Applying for OCS
It was great to read all of that from you guys. I am stuck in a city pretty much by myself and it helps keep me motivated to hear stories from everyone else. I especially liked hearing that the longest run was 5 miles and I ran 6.5 the other night. I know ocs is going to be really hard but I am excited to be there with a lot of other motivated guys who would prefer to wake up and run than sit and look at a computer all day which is what it seems like the rest of the world does. Does anyone have any idea what the pace was on the 5 mile runs? Would you keep it the same as teh 3 miles or slow it down a bit?

itoh

I was in PLC Jr/Sr, so maybe the company level organization was a little different, but here are the differences that I found:
(most from seniors)
taps was 2200, and reveille was 0500 (that's 7 hours) and we usually dimmed the lights til about 2330 to square away stuff and prep for the next day. I averaged maybe 5.5 hours of sleep during the training weeks (accounting for fire watch and such), and closer to 4.5 if I was in a billet of squad leader or higher.

Chow was usually before PT (if you have PT after chow, make sure you don't eat the greasy stuff or drink milk).

Longest hump was more like 13 miles (but the hardest one was the 5 or 7 mile hump becuase of the hills and pace)

For seniors, or for OCC candidates, know your 5 paragraph order well, and know your general orders.

Hope this helps and good luck,
-itoh

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Perhaps your taps was later because you were there for a shorter period of time and the wear on you wouldn't be as bad by week 6 as it is by week 10...as far as PT...my understanding is that during the summer its based on scheduling around all the candidates there at one time...you can't have 1000 people in the chow hall at once...

It makes sense that PT would be after chow and then class in the colder weather to allow (as GTodd's schedule was) 1) for the temperature and sun to rise and 2) allow muscles to loosen/warm up more. These may not be the reasons but they make sense from a physiological perspective...they want OCS to be difficult, but having guys dropping from pulled muscles because they aren't warmed up enough doesn't make sense...they are there to be screened not dropped for injuries related to climate. You ever tried waking up, stretching for 10-15 minutes in the cold, and then be able to run for $#@!.

Anyway I hope I have the same schedule as 184...knock on wood.

GTodd

As far as how much sleep I usualy got about 7-8 hrs of sleep. If i ahd fire watch 7 hrs. You only get one company billet so That is the only that should keep you from getting sleep. I was Company Commander and I still got 7 hrs and my avg ws 89 so I was slacking off. It is all about the time management if you are not good with time you will eat up your time quickly. My rec. use your libo to get studying done!

GTodd

Yep that was me I am so pissed to be home I was told by everyone from the 1st sg to the commander at med that I would not be sent home. Now i have to do it all over agin!!!!!!! Man I miss it, this sucks!!!!! Good luck!
Who are you?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by GTodd
The Company 1st sg. was huge on making sure this class got 8hrs sleep. Taps is at 2100 so you should get 8hrs sleep if you are not fire watch.

No ****... That kind of pisses me off, to think of all the sleep I missed!
To be honest, I don't really understand why they increased everyone's sleep time, I thought that sleep deprivation was supposed to be an important part of OCS.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by TNWhiskey
Perhaps your taps was later because you were there for a shorter period of time and the wear on you wouldn't be as bad by week 6 as it is by week 10.

Good reasoning, but I was there for 10 weeks and we had the "7 hours of sleep" from 2200- 0500 as well. I think they just had a 1st Sgt who liked sleep! It will be interesting to see whether they are actually making OCS easier, or if that was just the actions of one company's staff.

GTodd

Damn Chino it sucks being home I wish I was still with you guys, now I get to do it all over again, including the Quigly and you know how much fun I had with that!!!!!!!!!

airwinger

pilot
hmm... I was a 10 week OCC in jan 02 and we also had the 2200 to 0500 lights out. Of course you had to get your rifle at 0400 and I don't remember if we had to be fully dressed or just ready to go at 0500. I don't recall bible study but uniform fittings were a great time to write letters :)
Plus max was a 15 mile and since it was winter we went running at the warm hour of 0700 :) (warm yeah right) The good thing was I lost all feeling in my toes for three weeks after OCS:)

Status
Not open for further replies.