• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Friendly Reminder.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was painful to watch. Like the train wreck in slow motion.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A reminder to always compute your density altitude before high-elevation departures.

And an excellent reminder it is. In addition, alway check out the gradient of the terrain which you will climb out over after liftoff. Example: Kirtland AFB, NM (KABQ) - Elev. 5,300' - Rwy 26-08 - 13,700'. I've departed Kirtland several times in an A-4C, max gross on a typical [hot] summer day. Always used Rwy 26, which allows a slow climb over the Rio Grande River valley. Looong takeoff roll, but no real problem. Had surface winds dictated Rwy 08 as duty...under similar circumstances, I'd have cancelled the flight. Departing ABQ to the east, terrain rises sharply into the foothills of the Sandia Mountains. Many an aircraft crater in the Sandias over the years (30 Sandia crashes since 1935)!:eek:
-Martin-404.png
In Feb. 1955, A TWA Martin 404 (Eastern 404 shown above) crashed into the Sandias after departure from ABQ, killing 16.:(
BzB

robav8r

None
Contributor
Not sure Brett, maybe the folks (and injuries) depicted in the video. Just wondering about disclosure from the folks involved, that's all. Do you find anything inappropriate ?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If it's got 4 seats and is piston driven, you're probably already stretching it when you fill those seats with bodies and the associated stuff they bring onboard. These guys learned the hard way. Sucks, but luckily they are alive to tell the cautionary tale.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
What's density altitude?

The altitude at which "8 hours bottle-to-throttle" becomes applicable due to the increased density of beer relative to oxygen. Pure science.

On a different note, I feel sorry for this guy regardless. We've all made a few bad decisions in an airplane; eventually they do catch up with you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The altitude at which "8 hours bottle-to-throttle" becomes applicable due to the increased density of beer relative to oxygen. Pure science.

On a different note, I feel sorry for this guy regardless. We've all made a few bad decisions in an airplane; eventually they do catch up with you.
Seems like his inability to take off in except with a ridiculously long take off roll should have been his first clue. I don't feel sorry for him. Getting his face smashed in should be a good learning tool.