• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Friendly Reminder.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, seriously Brett...I don't think I've rolled that long in anything. That was absurd.
Yikes, you aren't just talking take off roll here. That was damned forgivable terrain. Even after getting airborne he had lots of time to reevaluate and just land again. There must have been over two miles of open level terrain. Wasn't like he was at a short strip that demanded a precise go no go point requiring quick action.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yikes, you aren't just talking take off roll here. That was damned forgivable terrain. Even after getting airborne he had lots of time to reevaluate and just land again. There must have been over two miles of open level terrain. Wasn't like he was at a short strip that demanded a precise go no go point requiring quick action.

I was reading the AOPA article this morning and they interviewed the pilot. He said he got a gust of wind just as he was about to abort (due to the long roll) and the plane got airborne. He then decided to keep flying. His explaination still doesn't explain the additional half-mile of flat terrain (like you said) he could set back down in as the trees approached.

My dad is actually trying to do a mountain flying course next month up in Montana. I'm jealous.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Reminded me of another video I have seen. 2 guys in an L-19 were doing a video study of some beetle infestation of trees or something in the mountains. The pilot never noticed the constantly increasing altitude until the stall horn went off. The video ends with their crash into the trees. Took 3 years for someone to discover the footage and figure out what happened. The video tape survived, unfortunately the pilot and passenger did not.

I believe you are talking about this video: