• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Slim Shot For Pilot?

mattwallace777

I'm really trying to get selected for pilot or Naval Flight Officer. There's no doubt about it, I know I want to fly. On my application, I have put pilot as first choice, followed by NFO, followed by Surface Warfare. I'm applying for BDCP.

At the same time, I'm trying to show the board that I am a dedicated member of the aviation community. I've logged some flight time, thousands of simulator hours, and I also support general aviation through being a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA).

Now all I know is that the boards are competitive. Currently, I have a 3.1 GPA in journalism with a minor in english. I know they favor technical degrees. I'm re-taking my ASTB for the third time to get my PFAR and FOFAR up to a 7 or 8 and the OAR to 50's, even 60s.

Given those details, is it even possible to determine the outcome? My application preparer has advised me to still go ahead and do it, and if that doesn't work, to go re-apply after six months for OCS.

The only problem then if I just apply for OCS is I probably would not get a pilot slot because my eyes are worse than 20/40 uncorrected, and my plan with BDCP money is to get the PRK done since I would find out if I'm accepted or not before the MEPS visit.

I'm almost ready to go to board. I will take the ASTB at the end of January 2010, and the application will be complete and ready to be sent.

Anyone have any ideas, comments, suggestions, or feedback?

I'm prior Air Force ROTC. I left AFROTC after 1 1/2 years in college because I think my chances of getting a Navy officer career with a pilot slot are much better than in the AF based on my experience and people in both branches whom I've talked to.

I appreciate anything anyone has to offer! Best wishes! Fly high and fly fast!

Excellence In Flight,
mw777

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
No one can really tell...you just have to apply and hope for the best. GO through all the previous month's threads the last couple of years and see what is getting picked up. There are guys/gals all across the spectrum that are getting accepted and denied. Like everything with the Navy, it's timing.

I CAN predict how slim your chances are if you don't apply...

sm.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the same time, I'm trying to show the board that I am a dedicated member of the aviation community. I've logged some flight time, thousands of simulator hours, and I also support general aviation through being a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA).[/FONT]

Might want to check with your OR on recommendations. They're looking for leadership potential. While these things will help you decide if you like the aviation community, if you read the posts here, you'll find that Naval Aviation will take someone off the streets and teach to fly the Navy way.

If you're logging "thousands" of simulator hours, you're likely learning habits that will be hard to undo. Since you have some time, you might think about leadership/community involvement type activities in lieu of any more simulator time.

JSnake

... if you read the posts here, you'll find that Naval Aviation will take someone off the streets and teach to fly the Navy way.

I second that... I got picked up for BDCP SNFO and I didn't know jack shit about flying before studying for the ASTB. All I knew was that I want to fly off carriers.

bhatta1

be honest

Be honest with him with that gpa which is good but not having a tech major hurts a little without great astb's. Work on your astb's and I have no doubt you will be fine.

navy09

None
Sounds like you've got a shot. If you can't manage to get picked up for BDCP, try for straight OCS and just take out a loan for PRK.

Just note, as a former AF wannabe with some hours logged, most Navy pilots fly helos.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're going to get the same answer every other new 'what are my chances?' poster gets: depends on who else is applying, and your chances are zero if you don't apply, so may as well go for it.

And +1 on the private aviation time. We're looking for people with officer potential, not pilots. We'll teach you the pilot bit.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
How do you know what "they" prefer? It depends from board to board what is needed and it also depends on who you are competing with. And the Tech degree means about shit...in fact the worst pilots I've flown with are Aero E's...We've got all sorts here, from History, to Poli Sci, to Animal Science, and the obligitory Enginerds...don't sweat the Major, there is nothing you can do about it now...keep the grades up and work on the ASTB...those are the best ways to get looked at seriously.
Pickle

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I've logged some flight time, thousands of simulator hours...

Since you boast...I would like to know the breakdown.

Hours in what kind of Sim?

My prediction is Microsoft. Please don't put anywhere on your application that you a have logged thousands of hours on Microsoft Flight Sim.

Clux4

Banned
Since you boast...I would like to know the breakdown.

Hours in what kind of Sim?

My prediction is Microsoft. Please don't put anywhere on your application that you a have logged thousands of hours on Microsoft Flight Sim.

I think the last three numbers in his screen name can give us a clue. Boeing 777