• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Slim Shot For Pilot?

dirtydog

Major doesn't really matter, your GPA is over 3.0, and your ASTB scores are way above mine. I got picked up through NROTC, however, so YMMV.

In addition, you can get a good loan for PRK through places like Capitol One which can make payments around 150-200 bucks a month. I'm still paying for my eyes, but it's manageable, even on a small stipend.

Your attitude sounds good and that's what really matters. We don't have control over the needs of the Navy, but keep pushing for it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Just note, in 2009 for the first time in history the AF trained more UAV "operators" then actual pilots.

What does this actually mean?

I was skeptical of a friend who, cited something in a project-proposal draft along the lines of USAF training more UAV pilots than anything else.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does this actually mean?

It means USAF is operating a LOT of UAVs these days from ubiquitous Preds to its big brother Reapers and high flying Global Hawks and the new kids on the block. They used to put combat proven rated pilots into the Ground Control Stations, then came direct inputs form flight school and recently they started training a cadre of UAS operators with their own badges. Go to Baseops and see their trail of woe.

I work with quite a few Guard (as in ANG) guys who scrambled for meaningful jobs as their beloved F-16s or A-10s went away and they were forced to find another venue or transition to be a UAV operator.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They used to put combat proven rated pilots into the Ground Control Stations, then came direct inputs form flight school and recently they started training a cadre of UAS operators with their own badges. Go to Baseops and see their trail of woe.
Maybe they can start recruiting folks right out of college who are experts in MS Flight Simulator. I figure if you can fly through the Grand Canyon in a C-172, you're good enough to fly a UAV. ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe they can start recruiting folks right out of college who are experts in MS Flight Simulator. I figure if you can fly through the Grand Canyon in a C-172, you're good enough to fly a UAV. ;)

That's actually a good idea. All they have to do is jump into MS Flight Simulator with an on-line connection so service can see how well people do and prescreen them. Kinda like.....
url

adimas

July Final Select SNA

I think once the AF realizes they can save alot of money by paying a Higher ranked specially trained Airman and not an O-1, 0-2, or 0-3+ to remote control fly the current system of pulling wannabe "in-platform" studs from AF OTS and other platforms will go away..but not any time soon.

Either way in the meantime AF OTS studs have a 50/50 shot of going "drone" from the articles I have read.

I just think they are trying to keep the truth from the headlines as not to disourage highly qualified AF OTS, AFROTC and Academy guys from going AF.

But to stay on thread; Just apply and hope for the best. Get those ASTB scores up and become involved in your community work out securing good letters of recommendation and stay out of trouble.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As I understood the most recent selection process, they were only pulling UPT studs from the T-38 track....is this no longer the case? Otherwise you could go heavies and stay free and clear

adimas

July Final Select SNA
Since the T-38 should be significantly slowing down training because of reduced need of pilots for air superiority billets since most of the ANG and Active squadrons are due for retirement in the next 6-8 years.....

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...hannel=aerospacedaily&id=news/SOVER042309.xml

I don't see just keeping the selection to studs who want to gamble on the T-38/jet/ drone service since more and more predators/global hawks are going online each day.

I have heard that whole groups of pilots selected for certain AF OTS Classes were already pre-determined for UAV training and have been notified of this before even reporting to OTS, although that's just what I heard.

I know for sure they have pulled "drone operators" out of current F-16 advanced training squadrons already from this article. So it does seem just the T-38 pipeline for the time being, if you make it that far without your whole class being pre-determined drone operators.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2009/0714/p02s01-usmi.html

gotta_fly

pilot
Every couple of months someone (AF only, obviously) gets grabbed out of multi-engine advanced in Corpus for UAVs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every couple of months someone (AF only, obviously) gets grabbed out of multi-engine advanced in Corpus for UAVs.

Kinda like the vintage Royal Navy "recruiting" via Impressment?

url

A "Press" Gang recruiting sailors from the streets