• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A very Romeo Thread

MH-Z

pilot
I don't think the Romeo has the hours in it's airframe to get there. Yes, I said Romeo.

Let's just say that some of the guys have had some interesting flights on the way back from Owego, NY for aircraft pickups...

My buddy and the skipper even got to land at USNA for a football game and a static display.

MasterBates

Wow.. You went to Canoe-U. That in my 4 years in HSL was the only XC I ever saw authorized by my command. (not that enterprising JOs didn't TRY to get others, just that's all they'd approve).

For all the "new hotness" you should just be able to roll up on the south lawn, roll into the oval office, and get the boss to come out and take a look at it.

No?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think a ferry is a little different than a good deal CCX. What I was referring to was how they're talking about not even ferrying Romeos and just putting them on flatbeds, or worse.

MH-Z

pilot
I think a ferry is a little different than a good deal CCX. What I was referring to was how they're talking about not even ferrying Romeos and just putting them on flatbeds, or worse.

Hadn't heard that one... 77 is ferrying A/C now and haven't heard anything from 70. If the hour cuts stick, I'm sure we'll have to get creative.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hadn't heard that one... 77 is ferrying A/C now and haven't heard anything from 70. If the hour cuts stick, I'm sure we'll have to get creative.

The word I'm getting is that it doesn't have anything to do w/ the hour cuts, it's more a FLM-type thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's why they're doing it, to preserve it for "real life." This is stuff I'm hearing about -70, albeit through a second-hand source, but it's pretty reliable (as in another LAMPS dude).

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Wow.. You went to Canoe-U. That in my 4 years in HSL was the only XC I ever saw authorized by my command. (not that enterprising JOs didn't TRY to get others, just that's all they'd approve).

For all the "new hotness" you should just be able to roll up on the south lawn, roll into the oval office, and get the boss to come out and take a look at it.

No?

Huh, that might explain why the IP's are so eager to do CCX's in the HT's.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wouldn't exactly equate MB's experience with how the helo community as a whole operates. He may have had a strict bunch of Skippers, but there's plenty of current and past examples of helo guys taking their aircraft on the road.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What's the expected lifespan? Isn't it usually 10k? Are they expecting to need every single hour of that for "real" usage, or is there some sort of dynamic component issue (I know for the towing in the 60S, it's going to lower the lifespan of a lot of the dynamic components and it's going to take a new DECU to raise TGT limits)?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wouldn't exactly equate MB's experience with how the helo community as a whole operates. He may have had a strict bunch of Skippers, but there's plenty of current and past examples of helo guys taking their aircraft on the road.

My squadron's been very short of CCXs since I've been there. For a long time we only had 1 or 2 birds at home, and we couldn't afford to have birds on the road when they were needed at home to fly form flights to ensure our plussed up wardroom was fully qualled.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's the expected lifespan? Isn't it usually 10k? Are they expecting to need every single hour of that for "real" usage, or is there some sort of dynamic component issue (I know for the towing in the 60S, it's going to lower the lifespan of a lot of the dynamic components and it's going to take a new DECU to raise TGT limits)?

I don't know all the details, but there's plenty of pilots and not many airframes, so that might have something to do with it.

My squadron's been very short of CCXs since I've been there. For a long time we only had 1 or 2 birds at home, and we couldn't afford to have birds on the road when they were needed at home to fly form flights to ensure our plussed up wardroom was fully qualled.

I hear you. Sounds like standard det life. I'm just sayin' there's other examples of guys getting the hook up, past and present.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

Not going to happen. It is possible that what started these rumors is CNAF not wanting to fund ferry flights (they have recently been poking around to see if there is a contractural way to stick the cost on 299 and/or DCMA/LMSI). New production aircraft will continue to be flown to their new squadrons from the factory. The TDY and flight hour costs are two different animals, but the bean counters at CNAF don't have much of a leg to stand on regardless of the changes made when the 5442 was folded into the latest 4790.