• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A very Romeo Thread

MH-Z

pilot
Not going to happen. It is possible that what started these rumors is CNAF not wanting to fund ferry flights (they have recently been poking around to see if there is a contractural way to stick the cost on 299 and/or DCMA/LMSI). New production aircraft will continue to be flown to their new squadrons from the factory. The TDY and flight hour costs are two different animals, but the bean counters at CNAF don't have much of a leg to stand on regardless of the changes made when the 5442 was folded into the latest 4790.

We used to have plenty of TAD money, but you're right with the belt-tightening that's going, the only cost-orders being cut are those essential for schools. The flight hour funding isn't bad for us (yet) because we are funded through CNATRA, so different pool of money. In fact, all the FRS's were tasked from CNAF to go do static displays at high schools for AW recruiting. FRS's vice fleet squadrons because we can fund it.

I always thought that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to ferry the helos via C-17's.

MH-Z

pilot
I wouldn't exactly equate MB's experience with how the helo community as a whole operates. He may have had a strict bunch of Skippers, but there's plenty of current and past examples of helo guys taking their aircraft on the road.

His squadron was always a little strange... something with those double doors always being closed to hog all the AC during the summer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not going to happen. It is possible that what started these rumors is CNAF not wanting to fund ferry flights (they have recently been poking around to see if there is a contractural way to stick the cost on 299 and/or DCMA/LMSI). New production aircraft will continue to be flown to their new squadrons from the factory. The TDY and flight hour costs are two different animals, but the bean counters at CNAF don't have much of a leg to stand on regardless of the changes made when the 5442 was folded into the latest 4790.

What I was hearing had nothing to do w/ funding or cost of hours to ferry. It was more about the aircraft themselves. My info is probably at least a month old, so maybe it's changed. Regardless, things sounded a bit bleak at -70, not because of the squadron, but because of the acquisition train that we all know and love.

kejo

pilot
I'm on a ferry flight from San Diego to Whidbey Island right now. Scud crawl all the way up the coast last couple days.

I've been on about a half dozen "good deal" CCX's in the last year and a half or so. Vegas twice, San Fran a few times, etc. They love pushing these things in my squadron. Is that out of the norm?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm on a ferry flight from San Diego to Whidbey Island right now. Scud crawl all the way up the coast last couple days.

I've been on about a half dozen "good deal" CCX's in the last year and a half or so. Vegas twice, San Fran a few times, etc. They love pushing these things in my squadron. Is that out of the norm?

Bearing in mind it was a different timeframe while I was on the west coast, it seems to me that CCX for HSL is more common on the West Sieede than w/ the fun sponges on the east coast. Others' milage may vary.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor

Do me a favor and take hubby (your beloved SWTI) on one of these, will ya? The guy works too much and is way too serious, and needs to go somewhere fun.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I always thought that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to ferry the helos via C-17's.

The Navy would actually be charged the total operating cost of the C-17, not just the fuel cost, and either way it would be out of 299's budget not CNAF's, so your community would lose in the end.

What I was hearing had nothing to do w/ funding or cost of hours to ferry. It was more about the aircraft themselves. My info is probably at least a month old, so maybe it's changed. Regardless, things sounded a bit bleak at -70, not because of the squadron, but because of the acquisition train that we all know and love.

Don't get me wrong, they have more than enough reasons to be depressed, but you can at least assure them that having their aircraft trucked to them isn't one of them. I suspect they are still bent that their string of deliveries was interrupted, but the fact is they are cruising later rather than sooner.

kejo

pilot
Do me a favor and take hubby (your beloved SWTI) on one of these, will ya? The guy works too much and is way too serious, and needs to go somewhere fun.

I think when I get back from cruise it'll be time for another VegasEx. After this week I think I've just about had it with the weather around NorCal.