• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abolish the Air Force! (yet again)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
With as many jokes about the Air Farce as we can post on here, I have to say the author of the article is out of his mind. They play an important role as do the other services. The Navy projects power and can knock a door down without having to obtain fly-over rights. The Marines can perform amphibious assault, quickly taking over an area before giving it over to the Army and moving on. The Army, well, large scale battles, security, and behemoth might is their stregth. The Air Force provides the logistical support to get all this done. Additionally, they provide security domestically, in Korea, Europe, and the currest combat areas. Just another bad article by someone who thinks they can think outside the box.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
^^^ +1

Right, just because we are fighting an insurgent war now means we'll never have to establish air superiority EVER again. Any future conflict with an industrialized nation will require massive amounts of air power to inflict heavy losses and save friendly lives on the ground. We may well have lost WW2 in Europe had we not ultimately achieved complete air superiority by D-Day. It's funny how intelligient people can rationalize the stupidest ideas in thier own minds.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Unfortunately, the Air Force has had a poor strategic record. In the Korean War, heavy strategic attacks on North Korean cities failed to reduce Communist capabilities. Operation Rolling Thunder -- the campaign designed to destroy North Vietnamese will, transport capacity, and industry -- went on for three years and had little noticeable effect on the course of that war.

Total bullshit in that the author fails to mention the political constraints placed on strategic planning. Particularly in Op Rolling Thunder...where "Targeting bore little resemblance to reality in that the sequence of attacks was uncoordinated and the targets were approved randomly - even illogically. The North's airfields, which, according to any rational targeting policy, should have been hit first in the campaign, were also off-limits."

So, I have a big problem with intellectual dishonesty of this type from an academic. It may not entirely invalidate the argument, but it's bullshit from where I'm sitting.

Grant

My amateur $0.02:

The author is crazy. Every service has its place. The reason that people constantly deride the AF is because they're arrogant, with the attitude "I can do it better than you".

Basically, the AF is the bratty little brother of the family. But that does not mean they are without value.

snake020

Contributor
I disagree; I like his point about merging the Air Force with the Army. Make the Air Force a component of the Army like the Marine Corps falls under the Department of the Navy, eliminate duplication of efforts, and ensure the Army gets the CAS it needs in addition to air superiority. Although it's good the Air Force focuses on air superiority (F-22) for future operations, they often seem to neglect CAS wherever possible (e.g. trying to get rid of the A-10).

The Air Force has good logistics, but the tail is too big. I think it'd be more efficient to recombine.

jazzdude

So my question is, why not just roll everything into one service? Why not consolidate all personnel and admin functions? Why stop at the Air Force? Why not roll the Marine Corps into the Army?

I'm just kidding of course. Each service brings a unique capability to the fight, and I think each service's mindset on how to best train and employ its assets allows the resources to be used effectively.

As far as providing CAS...what are you really looking for? Is it more effective to have a B-52 sitting up high dropping JDAMs vs fighter/attack aircraft coming in low and dropping bombs? Do army units need organic air assets for CAS? If so, how would the air assets be organized (basing, maintenance, ownership, funding, training)? Who would have responsibility for deconflicting airspace?

I don't know much- I'm just a lowly 2Lt who's probably drank too much of the AF Kool-aid, so I guess I'll stop now. Back to the A-pool and waiting for my chance to fly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It ain't gonna happen any more than the battleships are going to come back or donkeys are gonna fly ... but I still like the "sound" of Army Air Corps .... :)

But then ... I still like the "sound" of Shore Patrol as well ....

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The Air Force provides the logistical support to get all this done. Additionally, they provide security domestically, in Korea, Europe, and the currest combat areas.

Not to mention heavy bombers
1007-01.jpg

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The Air Force provides the logistical support to get all this done.

It's not just logistical support, it is strategic airlift. The AF brings capabilities to the table that no other air force in the world can match. Strategic airlift might be their most important contribution period. Amazing how such an important, one could say strategic, capability could be left out of a "serious" evaluation of the USAF.

snake020

Contributor
It's not just logistical support, it is strategic airlift. The AF brings capabilities to the table that no other air force in the world can match. Strategic airlift might be their most important contribution period. Amazing how such an important, one could say strategic, capability could be left out of a "serious" evaluation of the USAF.

Does this include all the airlift that's being contracted out?