• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Actor / Former Sen. Fred Thompson to consider running for GOP Presidential nomination

Would you vote for Fred Thompson in the GOP Primary?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No, I would vote for John McCain instead.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No, I would vote for Rudy Giuliani.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No, I would vote for someone else.

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/12/thompson.ap/index.html

"I'm giving some thought to it, going to leave the door open" and decide in the coming months. "It's not really a reflection on the current field at all," {Thompson} said.

"I'm just going to wait and see what happens," Thompson added. "I wanted to see how my colleagues who are on the campaign trail do now, what they say, what they emphasize, what they're addressing, and how successful they are in doing that, and whether or not they can carry the ball in next November."

Would you consider voting for him for President? I've already voted for him twice as Senator (Tenn. resident), and I really think he has what it takes to win over the conservative base (anti-gun control, anti-abortion, etc) and the more central independents (relative Washington outsider and very charismatic).

Considering that Giuliani probably won't be able to win over the base and Romney's religion and pandering on social issues are handicapping his chances, I think Thompson might be the strongest opposition to McCain for the GOP nomination.

Your thoughts?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like McCain is DITW and has frankly been all over the map on some issues. I'm hereby pronouncing his candidacy a lost cause. Giuliani has double digit leads in every major poll except Zogby who holds him at +9% over McCain. Of course, it's still early, so anything could happen.

Brett

robav8r

None
Contributor
His performance as the Battle Group Commander in "Hunt for Red October" won me over.
:icon_carn

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
Seems like McCain is DITW and has frankly been all over the map on some issues. I'm hereby pronouncing his candidacy a lost cause. Giuliani has double digit leads in every major poll except Zogby who holds him at +9% over McCain. Of course, it's still early, so anything could happen.

Brett

Honestly, I think that this was exactly Thompson's train of thought prior to this interview. Maybe with a little "Anybody but Hillary" mixed in.....

ramblin_rick

The more CNN and Fox News report on the widening gap in the polls between McCain and Giuliani, the wider the gap will become. If "everybody's" going with Giuliani then people tend to think there's no point in joining McCain. Giuliani has so much press coverage right now I expect his campaign to end up losing a lot of steam by January of next year. Don't count McCain out just yet, here's what the Economist had to say about him in its current issue:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8819839

As far as Thompson goes, I won't consider him a serious candidate until he 1) announces that he's actually running and 2) gets some name recognition. People may know him as the Law and Order guy, but nobody outside TN knows him as a senator.

I also think the dynamic of the next election is going to be much different than in 2004. The so-called "base" will not be the crazies who come out to vote on gay marriage and the like, but will be the moderate independents. Typically this group does not bother to show up in the primaries, but the population has recently become more engaged in the political process as demonstrated in November's record turnout for a mere midterm election.

In summary, Thompson and Giuliani aren't bad ideas, but don't rule out McCain just because he hasn't had amazing press coverage.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The more CNN and Fox News report on the widening gap in the polls between McCain and Giuliani, the wider the gap will become. If "everybody's" going with Giuliani then people tend to think there's no point in joining McCain. Giuliani has so much press coverage right now I expect his campaign to end up losing a lot of steam by January of next year. Don't count McCain out just yet, here's what the Economist had to say about him in its current issue:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8819839

As far as Thompson goes, I won't consider him a serious candidate until he 1) announces that he's actually running and 2) gets some name recognition. People may know him as the Law and Order guy, but nobody outside TN knows him as a senator.

I also think the dynamic of the next election is going to be much different than in 2004. The so-called "base" will not be the crazies who come out to vote on gay marriage and the like, but will be the moderate independents. Typically this group does not bother to show up in the primaries, but the population has recently become more engaged in the political process as demonstrated in November's record turnout for a mere midterm election.

In summary, Thompson and Giuliani aren't bad ideas, but don't rule out McCain just because he hasn't had amazing press coverage.

What's McCain's appeal though? I just don't see it. I can understand some of you getting on the bandwagon because of his military experiences, but as a politician, he's rather unremarkable and some of his stances on issues over the years aren't exactly in lockstep with the conservatives. I'm well aware that Giuliani is in a similar position in that respect, but unlike McCain, he has a lot of perceived positives that offset that, IMO.

I'm just curious to hear from some of you McCain supporters as to the reasons why you like him or think he can win.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
McCain Compared to Giuliani on Gun Control and Abortion, is a much better republican, and I'm on the same page as he is on stem-cell research. I'm also a big fan on his stance against pork-barreling.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
McCain Compared to Giuliani on Gun Control and Abortion, is a much better republican, and I'm on the same page as he is on stem-cell research. I'm also a big fan on his stance against pork-barreling.

No, I'm interested in what you like about him that makes him a viable candidate, not as compared to others. Why are people going to vote for him? None of the above issues seem likely to be major campaign issues.

For example, I think Giuliani's rep (deserved or not) for turning around NYC and his post 9/11 performance make people feel secure in his leadership as a war president. I have no evidence, but as someone already posted, I believe that this election cycle will be a play towards the middle by both parties. Hillary has been doing this since her days as co-president and I think the republicans are going to have to move to the center as well, especially to the extent that they must distance themselves from some of what Bush has done. Thoughts?

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I have no evidence, but as someone already posted, I believe that this election cycle will be a play towards the middle by both parties. Hillary has been doing this since her days as co-president and I think the republicans are going to have to move to the center as well, especially to the extent that they must distance themselves from some of what Bush has done. Thoughts?

Slight threadjack, but I almost wish this wasn't the case because I would actually consider voting for Jeb if he could run. Aside from the FCAT, he's done a good job here in Florida.

As for McCain...I would have voted for him in the 2000 primary if I had been a year older. I also like McCain's fight against spending, and I think it definately should be a major issue in the campaign. To simply sustain Medicare and social security over the next couple of decades will severely bankrupt the country.

I read one projection that suggested if no cuts were made, the U.S. would eventually barely be able to pay interest on their debts without spending any money on anything else (defense included). That sounds serious.

Of course, I am not an economist.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not advocating single-issue voting at all, but Giuliani is not 2nd Amendment friendly. Look at New York City, some of the worst gun control laws in the country.

MasterBates

Fred Thompson is good on RKBA..

Ron Paul, is the best in that arena at the moment..

Either is FAR better than Guliani, and a damn bit better than our 2nd Favorite A4 Driver.