• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Actor / Former Sen. Fred Thompson to consider running for GOP Presidential nomination

Would you vote for Fred Thompson in the GOP Primary?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No, I would vote for John McCain instead.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No, I would vote for Rudy Giuliani.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No, I would vote for someone else.

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

snake020

Contributor
Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

As much as I like the guy on other issues (esp. guns), this is enough to keep me from being in favor of him.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not advocating single-issue voting at all, but Giuliani is not 2nd Amendment friendly. Look at New York City, some of the worst gun control laws in the country.
Maybe, but he also says that he would not advocate the same type of laws for the rest of the country and that it should be left up to the states to decide. The Libertarian in me likes that notion.

MasterBates

The cynic in me says to trust what a politician has done at home/in the senate far more than what they claim they will do as president...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
No, I'm interested in what you like about him that makes him a viable candidate, not as compared to others. Why are people going to vote for him? None of the above issues seem likely to be major campaign issues.

For example, I think Giuliani's rep (deserved or not) for turning around NYC and his post 9/11 performance make people feel secure in his leadership as a war president. I have no evidence, but as someone already posted, I believe that this election cycle will be a play towards the middle by both parties. Hillary has been doing this since her days as co-president and I think the republicans are going to have to move to the center as well, especially to the extent that they must distance themselves from some of what Bush has done. Thoughts?

Brett
So you mean the touchy feely stuff:D

I guess I dunno, he seems to be a confident prior military leader, intelligent who has goals.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's McCain's appeal though? I just don't see it. I can understand some of you getting on the bandwagon because of his military experiences, but as a politician, he's rather unremarkable and some of his stances on issues over the years aren't exactly in lockstep with the conservatives. I'm well aware that Giuliani is in a similar position in that respect, but unlike McCain, he has a lot of perceived positives that offset that, IMO.

I'm just curious to hear from some of you McCain supporters as to the reasons why you like him or think he can win.

Brett
Me either. I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he's been through. But put bluntly, the man is a democrat wearing a republican suit. I sincerely believe he's a good man and has good intentions. However, I just do not agree with what he has done as an AZ senator.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Maybe, but he also says that he would not advocate the same type of laws for the rest of the country and that it should be left up to the states to decide. The Libertarian in me likes that notion.
The libertarian in you likes the fact that some people can have (in my opinion) constitutionally protected rights while others (because of where they live) can't?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...oh and whether I'd like to see Fred Thompson run for Pres? Hell yes I would. The man is friggin unbelievably smart, has great presence, speaks intelligently and to the point (i.e. answers the damn question). Nothing pisses me off more than a politician doing an Indian rain dance around a direct question.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The libertarian in you likes the fact that some people can have (in my opinion) constitutionally granted rights while others (because of where they live) can't?
Your premise is flawed. The Constitution doesn't grant people their rights.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Me either. I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he's been through. But put bluntly, the man is a democrat wearing a republican suit. I sincerely believe he's a good man and has good intentions. However, I just do not agree with what he has done as an AZ senator.

What do you mean?

balt

argh
I'd respect a true fiscal conservative more than anyone else, but most of the candidates are so busy trying to sell out to the Christian base right now they aren't even talking about anything budgetary.

At least with Giuliani he knows his record won't allow him to court the evangelicals so he doesn't seem to be devoting all his time to it.