• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AD aircrew

Drick

I am enlisted in the Navy as of the begining of the month. I leave for RTC in late summer. I choose AD for my rate and im very satisfied with my choice. But I was doing some more research latley on the rate. And I came across aircrew! The more I read about this the more I want to going into training for it and mabey become part of the Aircrew. I was just wondering if someone has experience in this field and if they could tell me more about the recruiting process for it and how to get in to it. I know its very physically demanding but im prepared for that right now. And I know you must enlist for 5 years wich isnt a problem. I am already in for 4 so they would add one more active right?

I guess I would just like to know how to get into the training, Whats the actual job like once your in?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked a million times

Redux

AD = "Mech or Nosepicker" (no more J or R A-4's) often are aircrew, in fact they are the senior enlisted crewman on board as the Flight Engineer unless that's another thing that's changed. :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A quick word of caution... Aircrew are going exclusively AW now. There are several branches of subcategories, but I recommend that you do more research.

*** If this has become bad gouge now, please inform me***

H60Gunner

Contributor
A quick word of caution... Aircrew are going exclusively AW now. There are several branches of subcategories, but I recommend that you do more research.

*** If this has become bad gouge now, please inform me***

Not bad gouge. You are correct kmac.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
whats j or RA-4?

ADJ = Mechs for Jets
ADR = Mechs for Recips

As for the A-4s... he was directing the comment at A4sForever

The Aviation Machinists Mate rating was made just AD (vice ADR and ADJ) sometime in the late '70s I believe...

Redux

ADJ = Mechs for Jets
ADR = Mechs for Recips

As for the A-4s... he was directing the comment at A4sForever

The Aviation Machinists Mate rating was made just AD (vice ADR and ADJ) sometime in the late '70s I believe...

Yup it was late 70's they shitchaned the suffix's. Early 70's for AT-R or AT-N and a mess of other changes.

Are you saying they no longer pull engineers from Aircraft Division shops? :eek: MAJOR mistake if that's the case. What would one want, a engineer that never laid a wrench on a gear or engine or one who spun millions of bolts and has troubleshot and fixed the systems?

Can cite a perfect case in point but since he and the others died in an accident I won't.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I am enlisted in the Navy as of the begining of the month. I leave for RTC in late summer. I choose AD for my rate and im very satisfied with my choice. But I was doing some more research latley on the rate. And I came across aircrew! The more I read about this the more I want to going into training for it and mabey become part of the Aircrew. I was just wondering if someone has experience in this field and if they could tell me more about the recruiting process for it and how to get in to it. I know its very physically demanding but im prepared for that right now. And I know you must enlist for 5 years wich isnt a problem. I am already in for 4 so they would add one more active right?

I guess I would just like to know how to get into the training, Whats the actual job like once your in?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked a million times

AD is a tough job but really fun. You're not going to be in the air conditioned/heated office, or eating lunch at exactly 1100. Get your qualifications, study for the rating exam, and if you do well maybe you can cross rate to AW. FE's used to be part of the job, but from what everyone said in the thread I guess that has all switched to AW. Does that mean no more IFT for AT's either?