• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AD aircrew

WO_Flyer

pilot
DRICK,

If you want to be an aircrewman you are going to have to tell the recruiter that you want to be an AW. All aircrew in the Navy are now Adubs(with the exception of a few Flight Engineers.) Do it now before you enlist, because the chances drop substantially once you are through your AD pipeline.

OK basically there are 2 main types of aircrew. SAR (Search and Rescue Swimmers) will fly out of helicopters and non SAR will fly out of fixed wing aircraft. There are a lot of pro's and con's from both pipelines. You can do the research or PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!!
Make the right decision now because most likely it will be the next 4-5 years of your life.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Don't let the bastards get you down... you can still fly as a maintainer. When you get to your fleet squadron, start asking around about TFO (Temporary Flight Orders). After completing the TFO syllabus and a NATOPS check, you'll be cleared to fly on maintenance flights and start receiving flight pay. Min. flight time is 4 hours a month and you'll still work in your shop, but it is a way to fly without being an AW.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
AD is a tough job but really fun. You're not going to be in the air conditioned/heated office, or eating lunch at exactly 1100. Get your qualifications, study for the rating exam, and if you do well maybe you can cross rate to AW. FE's used to be part of the job, but from what everyone said in the thread I guess that has all switched to AW. Does that mean no more IFT for AT's either?

IFTs (at least in P-3 land) all became AW(V)s. Only exceptions to the coversion were some Chiefs and above, and I don't know exactly what the rules were on that. While I heard plenty of protests, in the end I didn't know anyone who chose to stop flying so they didn't have to be AWs.