• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AD or former aviators: dislikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dividebyzero

I've read a lot of very positive things about the experience your typical military aviator, from the adventure, to the sheer unparalleled thrill of having a supersonic fighter to call 'your office', etc.

But, what about the things most people don't hear about? What were/are your dislikes about being a pilot in any of the branches? Whether it be optempo, family seperation, burecratic manuvering...the kinds of things you find yourself typically bitching (ok, *ruminating* ;) ) about with your buddies over a cold beer after a long, hard day, what would be your *least* favorite things or experiences within the community?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
From my experience (E-2 and C-2 community), the biggest complaint has been the lack of leadership from squadron CO's and XO's. Almost always the negative talk has revolved around the front office. The front office will make or break the moral of the squadron. The positive side of the poor leadership is it usually brings the JO's together. I don't want to get into specific's but I'm very dissapointed on how the Navy allows certain types to become squadron CO's and XO's. Don't get me wrong, there have been some excellent leaders but most have been far and few between. The true charasmatic, gung-ho, professional, passionate, positive attitude, etc, leader seems to be a thing of the past. A dying breed if you will. The front offices are mainly dominated by the "yes" men and I'm only concerned with my career types. They are great at power point presentations but truly couldn't motivate their people to follow them to the bathroom.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, everyone wants to serve under a "Great Santini". I haven't, but I haven't had any horrible COs. If anything, our CO/XO now are almost overwhelming with enthusiasm/earnestness to lead us and let us lead.

As an aside, P-3s Junior Officers tend to have issues with O-4 leadership. Right now my squadron is doing ok, we get along with the Hinges, and they let us do our jobs. 2 years ago? That was a whole other story. We had some major totalitarians who questioned our every move/decision and refused to acknowledge anything that happened after 1996.

Other bitches? 3 hour preflights, planes that love to **** the bed, the mind numbing torture that comes with studying for upgrading and the Aircraft Commander or Tactical Coordinator postions.

But no matter what, its better than working a desk job somewhere.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think Bunk's post is very accurate. Fortunately, things are NOT like that now at my squadron, so that is good. So my two big beefs:

O-4s and the endless need to generate paper work while the tools used to generate it don't work, thus causing you to have to do the work at least one more time.

It's amazing how a select few of O-4s can become a pain in the ass for everyone just so they can appear to be breaking out ahead of all the other O-4s when they first get there. Usually they settle down, but our community has a glut of them, so it seems like it's never ending.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Could somebody explain more in-depth what the big deal with O-4's specifically is?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned deployments, workups, and just all in all time away from family...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Ryoukai
Could somebody explain more in-depth what the big deal with O-4's specifically is?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with O-4's. They are perect officers, good looking, intelligent, flawless if you will. Not saying I'm biased or anything.

LCDR Marlar

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ryoukai, O4s are Lieutenant Commanders, and fill the Department Head level positions in many commands, working directly for the XO and CO. These officers generally have 11-12 years in the Navy, and are the upper management that help to carry out the policies that a CO is implementing in their command. By that point in time, the O4 has made the decision to make a career of it, and go for 20 years at least until retirement, so for the most part they are very career conscious, also, depending on the command and quotas/billets, there are a finite number of them competing for a good fitness report and recommendation for command heading out the door. As mentioned by zab and gatordev, the composition of that group has an effect on the command. How much infighting are the O4s doing to jockey for that #1 slot, and the leadership the front office has in handling them. For the P3 community (pilots), we unfortunately are faced with the left overs and officers that decided not to get out for better $$ working for the airlines. The lure of $$ pulled some of the best out, and those that stayed behind did not have as much competition. I am not saying that all O4s are bad, but I have seen quite a few that made me wonder how they ever made it to that level. An ongoing trend for the hinge in question is to attribute all the successes of his JOs in his department to their foresight, and then when the JO makes a mistake to blame them and wash their hands of it... Ah, the joy of getting sold out by two O4s at planeside in front of the CO and your crew, when the O4s in question didn't have a clue what report the skipper was looking for, but I digress.

On the other hand, I have been fortunate to encounter a string of O4s that took pride in their position, and mentorship towards junior officers, the way it should be. Looking out for your career, giving advice when requested, involving you in useful projects that stress your abilities, and back you up a 100% when you succeed or fail, all the while promoting you to the front office.

As gatordev mentioned, the weaker O4s have a tendency towards ruling your life by email and meetings, wanting numerous "TPS Reports" (for you office space fans), and to come in on saturday.... that way they can "quantify" to the front office, gee, look what MY guys are doing. I worked on a BOMBEX brief for a week, only to find out in the end that no one was going to see it....

It all comes down to the front office, and the leadership of your CO and XO, as bunk mentioned. They limit the degree the O4s get away with the "random tasking" factor, and beat them up appropriately in the dept head meetings. On the flip side, a good front office also empowers the JOs to go out and get the job done. I think that I have been fortunate in having a front office that you would follow anywhere.

As for my complaints about the military, well, I really don't have anything to bitch about. I have it really good in the P3 community, and I know it, since I have also seen the other side as enlisted onboard submarines. As zab mentioned.... FIVE hour preflights, and switching to your 3rd plane for the day are no fun, and an aging aircraft that breaks down more frequently, and is definitely a leadership challenge when you have to motivate your crew to go that extra mile to make the flight and mission happen.

Deployments have been hard, but it is what I signed up to do, and the last two I have been on have been the most rewarding in terms of mission accomplishment.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by bunk22
Originally posted by Ryoukai

There is absolutely nothing wrong with O-4's. They are perect officers, good looking, intelligent, flawless if you will. Not saying I'm biased or anything.

LCDR Marlar

My GOD, who let an O4 in here while I was on deployment!!! Your membership is hereby revoked compliments of the JOPA JIHAD.........

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Haha...JOPA Jihad...I hadn't heard that one. I'm surprised I haven't seen that patch at the O'club.

And what is a "perect officer?" That's some mighty fine vocabulary you got there...or did you not have a JO proof your typing?
icon_smile.gif

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Wow, wasn't expecting such a thorough response. Thanks for taking that time, webmaster.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And what is a "perect officer?" That's some mighty fine vocabulary you got there...or did you not have a JO proof your typing?
icon_smile.gif

[/quote]

That's the problem Gator, I didn't have any of my JO's around to proofread (or write it) for me at home
icon_smile.gif

I think what webmaster wrote was right on the money. My goal as an O-4 is to be better than those who I felt were less deserving of their rank and position through my time as a JO. In my heart, I will always be a JO even though I've been ousted from JOPA at my squadron. Just the other day, I finally came to recognize my position as I sat down in the ready room with 3 JO's. I'm known as being a laid back dude, easy to get along with. The moment I sat down, they got up and left without saying so much as a word
icon_smile_sad.gif

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
EA6B1, I have been on two aviation deployments, one to 5th Fleet during Afghanistan and support of OEF, and just recently got back from a 7th Fleet deployment. Both of which were amazing experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.