• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF, NAVY or AIRLINES? question about disability too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piperpilot2004

hey everyone I am new here and this seems like a great site. Got a question that I am sure is frequently asked so sorry if it was. I am 17, still in H.S and almost at my PPL-taking my checkride soon. I have realized this is something I want to do for a living. I have for as long as I can remember. I also have always wanted to serve my country so I thought I should put both together and fly for the military some day-possibly. I know how competitive it is to get pilot slots, and know fully how to get there. My question is, which branch is the easiest to get a slot for? I have heard that its harder in the AF because of the AFOQT(I suck at tests, did horrible on ACT/SAT which I know is similiar..) But yeah taking tests has always been my weakness unfortunately, but Navy I know they like to see someone they know in your family in the Navy and I dont have anyone. On the other hand I dont know if I should just try to make it to the airlines and then go do w/e for the ANG? Any suggestions? Lastly, I was found to have a mild learning disability when I was young.(I average about a 3.0gpa) I dont know if I still have it, but will this screw me over? Be honest please. I would rather find this out now! Im not sure either if I want to go to the Airlines cuz I dont want to be in debt for the rest of my life or ask my parents to pay for that, or not get picked up by anyone.

not sure if anyone can answer this since no one has gone all services and airlines, but any suggestions? :icon_wink

KBayDog

Suggestion - focus on college first, whether you want to serve in the military or the 1st Civ Div.

You're 17; if you are set on flying for a career, you have plenty of time to pick your poison.

Good luck.

T-man

KBayDog said:
Suggestion - focus on college first, whether you want to serve in the military or the 1st Civ Div.

You're 17; if you are set on flying for a career, you have plenty of time to pick your poison.

Good luck.

What he said - no matter what your choice, you're going to need to go to college in order to fly, simple as that. You've got 4+ years ahead of you to decide ;)

Piperpilot2004

yeah I agree, thanks for the replys already but I am having difficulty deciding which branch to go to. Im looking at several colleges and dont know which one to go to based on the ROTCs. I'll prob do NROTC somewhere...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Piperpilot2004 said:
but Navy I know they like to see someone they know in your family in the Navy and I dont have anyone.
I don't know where you hear that, but it's complete BS.

Keeping it real,

Brett

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Well why dont you try the Navy ROTC thing and do college program. That way you dont get the scholarship but you also dont have a commitment for the first 2 years so you can pull out at any time. Like everyone said, worry about college for now, and dont worry about your learning disability, they are all BS anyways, you have a 3.0 which means you can take care of business. You will be fine, just study, read and take a bunch of practice tests in the next 4 years. Ohh and work out and run, read the forums here and talk to people, they will be good mentors and people that are good to look up to. There is a good bunch of guys here and if you want to do the Navy thing you have picked a great place to ask your initial questions, the guys here are second to none. Keep motivated, keep studying, and keep your **** straight and you will do just fine. :icon_mi_6

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If your having trouble deciding which branch to go to, apply to both, and then go with the one that gives you the better deal if you can't decide using any other measure. If your not that pre-disposed to a service, you might as well keep as many options open for yourself, right? You may even want to look into applying to service academies too. From what limited exposure I have had to them, the guys who try to go to the airlines directly on their own are like a bunch of starving artists, trying to survive off of flight instructor pay from one day to the next trying to build up their hours until they get enough to apply for the regionals. I think Riddle does have a NROTC unit now so that could be a good place to start and then try to pickup a 2-3yr scholarship if the 4yr doesnt turn up for you.

Piperpilot2004

yeah I am thinking I might go to Embry, they have the BDCP which sounds pretty good and NROTC incase BDCP doesnt work out.. Everyone thanks for replying!!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Piperpilot2004 said:
yeah I am thinking I might go to Embry, they have the BDCP which sounds pretty good and NROTC incase BDCP doesnt work out.. Everyone thanks for replying!!

BDCP is not school specific. As long as you go to an accredited school, you can apply.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The above is all great advice - bottom line - get a degree from a credible university. Getting your PPL is solid as well - aviation is a career of never ending training.

I started washing airplanes atr a local FBO when I was 15 - and then a A&P's helper and finally worked my way to taking lessons and getting my PPL while in high school. Navy ROTC was the way for me and that's what I did. At the time as a newly minted Ensign from ROTC or USNA, if you could raise your right hand and have the eye sight and expressed a desire to go - you were off to flight school - but I know things are different now. Still seems like a good way to go though (ROTC that is).

Bottom line is if you want aviation as a vocation - then the opportunities abound either as a civ or military - big picture is it's all about wanting it!

Piperpilot2004

thanks again guys! Patmack, did you like the school? Sounds like a great school besides having no girls, but thats ok for me, Ill be able to fly and be by a beach..nothing better than that! :)

Piperpilot2004

ohh by the way, Vette-thanks for mentioning that about it not being school specific. That ruled out some confusion that I had before.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Piperpilot2004 said:
thanks again guys! Patmack, did you like the school? Sounds like a great school besides having no girls, but thats ok for me, Ill be able to fly and be by a beach..nothing better than that! :)
No girls in Daytona?

Brett

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
I can just about guarandamntee there aren't any girls at Riddle. :icon_tong

Begin Shameless Plug:

If you want HOT girls AND an aviation degree AND NROTC AND big time college football, I suggest you truck on down to Auburn. [/end shameless plug]

As far as Aviation Management goes, I'd also look at Oklahoma, Kansas State, Ohio State, Purdue, North Dakota (don't knock it--HUGE aviation program), Southern Illinois, Kent State, Louisiana Tech and Georgia State. Those are all off the top of my head, if I left anyone's alma mater off, feel free to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.