• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF, NAVY or AIRLINES? question about disability too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Dont worry about the "learning disability". It sounds as though you havent let it get in your way so far, since a 3.0 is a very respectable GPA. Just keep working hard, and dont even consider it an issue. Best of luck to you.

KBayDog

ChuckMK23 said:
...if you could raise your right hand and have the eye sight and expressed a desire to go - you were off to flight school - but I know things are different now.

Yeah - they call it the "Marine Corps" now :D

Piperpilot2004

Dont worry about the "learning disability". It sounds as though you havent let it get in your way so far, since a 3.0 is a very respectable GPA. Just keep working hard, and dont even consider it an issue. Best of luck to you.

the thing is, i am in some 504 System now. Its not learning support, but its kind of a monitor program. Like I get extended test times and go to a quieter room to take it(haha). I have told my parents countless time I dont need it- I never use any of the services the school offers but they dont listen, they say its good to have incase things go wrong...I cant do anything about it. Im nervous about how it may effect my chances if it carries over to college (im pretty sure my guidence counslor said it will def be with me in college.) I dont know what to do? Maybe I shouldnt worry about it right now, as most of you have said, but I dont think the Navy is going to risk giving me any pilot slots if they think I have the disability(I know I dont have the dis, its complete BS- the only reason I dont have a 4.0 is cuz im half lazy...counsoler doesnt believe me..blah) No budging my parents though, w/e I tell them goes right out the other ear. I even told them I wanted to fly someday and they said, "You make it sound like there is something really wrong with you, if you want to be a pilot for the military, you will.." hopefully that wont dq me! o well ill take my chances I guess and work hard through college when it comes time.

thanks guys- sorry I dont mean to complain, just want you to know the issue to see what you think..

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Piperpilot2004 said:
Im nervous about how it may effect my chances if it carries over to college (im pretty sure my guidence counslor said it will def be with me in college.)

If you don't want to tell your university's dept. of disability services (and every school's got one), then absolutely no one will know but you. During freshman orientation, they'll tell you about the services the office provides and it's up to you (a recurring theme in college) to go to them to set up whatever you need.

From my experience, guidance counselors don't know jack.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Tripp said:
As far as Aviation Management goes ... Georgia State.

Now for my plug ...

Believe that Delta sponsored the program at GSU, which I guess is good (assuming that Delta doesn't go belly-up). The program is fairly new, which may or may not be good. Also, Georgia State is in Atlanta, which is an awesome city.

Georgia State offers NROTC through the unit at Georgia Tech, which frees you of some of those troublesome regs, but makes you travel back and forth between schools.

peanut3479

pilot
Here's a good reference if you're looking for a school that has an aviation program of some sort. NIFA's website: www.nifa.ws I competed at regionals and even at nationals when I was in college - it was a great experience, in addition to learning a LOT about both civilian & military aviation.

Get info on all the services - AF, Navy, Marine Corps, even the Coast Guard. I'm not sure about the AFOQT (I took it and it SUCKS), but you can take the ASTB quite a few times in case you don't do well right away.

Piperpilot2004 said:
the thing is, i am in some 504 System now. Its not learning support, but its kind of a monitor program. Like I get extended test times and go to a quieter room to take it(haha). I have told my parents countless time I dont need it- I never use any of the services the school offers but they dont listen, they say its good to have incase things go wrong...I cant do anything about it. Im nervous about how it may effect my chances if it carries over to college (im pretty sure my guidence counslor said it will def be with me in college.) I dont know what to do? Maybe I shouldnt worry about it right now, as most of you have said, but I dont think the Navy is going to risk giving me any pilot slots if they think I have the disability(I know I dont have the dis, its complete BS- the only reason I dont have a 4.0 is cuz im half lazy...counsoler doesnt believe me..blah) No budging my parents though, w/e I tell them goes right out the other ear. I even told them I wanted to fly someday and they said, "You make it sound like there is something really wrong with you, if you want to be a pilot for the military, you will.." hopefully that wont dq me! o well ill take my chances I guess and work hard through college when it comes time.

thanks guys- sorry I dont mean to complain, just want you to know the issue to see what you think..

Most parents(esp civvies) don't know beans about the process. Sorry, but I'm with you on this one...mine were the same. Couldn't understand why my bp/pulse kept spiking when I went into a hospital.

After a number of NAMI whammy stories, I see everybody in a white coat as a big fat NPQ waiting to happen...is paranoia NPQ?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think it was Astronaut and hell raising Naval Aviator Alan Shepard who said there is only two ways you can ever come back after seeing a flight surgeon - flying or grounded!

I know flight surgeons are supposed to be "one of the team"
- and the good "pragmatic" ones were welcome in the ready room - the ones that looked more at the flavor of the rules and not the letter of the law! The latter we avoided like the plague - the less they knew the better.

And our squadron had a couple of decent contcts with civillian docs in town for the minor stuff - to avoid the paperwork BS of having to go down and then having to get an upchit again when all you wanted was a basic perscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.