• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC Cadet thinking about crossing over...

TexasAggie10

Howdy,

I'm currently an AFROTC Cadet (sophmore), but after talking to family members, going on an AF summer program, and just listening to people bitch on different AF internet forums, I've come to the conclusion that the Air Force is in the shitter right now.

I want to become a pilot, at all costs, and although I think I'm pretty competitive on the Air Force side of the house to be a pilot, I want to explore other options before I commit (because, seriously, the Air Force is in the shitter).

I've never really considered pursing being a Naval Aviator, so therefore, I lack a understanding of the process (via NROTC) to getting a commission, and being accept into flight training. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some insight on the process and let me know if I'm even competitve.

Major- Industrial Distribution (engineering)
GPA- 3.1 (medocore, but im working on it)
AF Officer Tests- Pilot-80
Navigator-78
Math-76
Verbal-88
Academic Aptitude-88
Flight Hours- 150

I don't know how similar the AF tests are to Navy ones, but my scores were well above average on all tests.

Also, I've hear rumors that the Navy is hurting for pilots right now, is this true?

Thanks for any help given!!

Trey

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Howdy,

I'm currently an AFROTC Cadet (sophmore), but after talking to family members, going on an AF summer program, and just listening to people bitch on different AF internet forums, I've come to the conclusion that the Air Force is in the shitter right now.

I want to become a pilot, at all costs, and although I think I'm pretty competitive on the Air Force side of the house to be a pilot, I want to explore other options before I commit (because, seriously, the Air Force is in the shitter).

I've never really considered pursing being a Naval Aviator, so therefore, I lack a understanding of the process (via NROTC) to getting a commission, and being accept into flight training. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some insight on the process and let me know if I'm even competitve.

Major- Industrial Distribution (engineering)
GPA- 3.1 (medocore, but im working on it)
Navigator-78
Math-76
Verbal-88
Academic Aptitude-88
Flight Hours- 150

I don't know how similar the AF tests are to Navy ones, but my scores were well above average on all tests.

Also, I've hear rumors that the Navy is hurting for pilots right now, is this true?

Thanks for any help given!!

Trey

ASTB doesn't really compare to AFOQT. The Navy doesn't have a BAT/TBAS. Also, from my experience, the AF/ANG care more about prior flight time than the Navy does.

There are many more people who want to get into Naval Aviation than are actually accepted into Naval Aviation. It's competitive, not a guaranteed slot.

TexasAggie10

Thats kind of what I gathered (on flight hours), but applying for an AD pilot's slot is kinda the same, it helps you a little, but nothing that would make or break you.

How does the process of applying for being a Naval Aviator work? What do they score you on? GPA, ASTB, and NROTC ranking? How much is each weighted, or are they not at all? Does the Navy prefer technical majors, or is their not a preference?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
How does the process of applying for being a Naval Aviator work? What do they score you on? GPA, ASTB, and NROTC ranking? How much is each weighted, or are they not at all? Does the Navy prefer technical majors, or is their not a preference?

There's a specific formula that determines your ranking within your commissioning class (nationally). I can't find it at the moment but I can tell you the dominant factors are ATSB score, GPA, and aptitude scores you receive at your NROTC unit. Having a technical major gets you a few bonus points, not quite as much as an engineering major. Another thing that goes in there is what they call PNS (Professor of Naval Science) points. Basically, your CO (PNS) is allotted a certain number of points he can give to bump up the score of his mids. So say he has someone who doesn't have a really good GPA but he feels confident this person should go SNA, he can give some points to that mid to help them out in the ranking. There are also a couple other factors I can't remember, but the big ones are ATSB, GPA, and aptitude.

NROTC service selection packages go in later than AFROTC. I believe AF cadets get their flight slots in their junior year. Our packages go out mid to late fall and the turnaround is somewhat quick - I think my package went out beginning of November, and I was told I had a 1390 slot a few days before Christmas.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor

I took the ASTB and AFOQT within about a week of one another and in my experience the ASTB was much tougher. There's a lot less stupid bullshit on it. No counting blocks, hidden shapes, etc.

I think my AFOQT scores were something like

Pilot - 91
Nav - 76
Math - 85
Verbal - 66
Academic Aptitude - 90
Flight Hours - 85

I scored a 7/7/7 57 on the ASTB. You can probably look up what that score means.

armada1651

pilot
Oops, I repeatedly called the ASTB the ATSB in my other post. Sorry.

I got a 9/8/9 on the ASTB. I really didn't think it was that difficult. And I probably have about 160 flight hours, about 70 PIC, private license and instrument rating, working on my commercial at the moment. The ASTB asks for that information during the set-up but it's only for statistical purposes, it doesn't affect scoring.

whalepelt

... What do they score you on? GPA, ASTB, and NROTC ranking? ... Does the Navy prefer technical majors, or is their not a preference?

armanda's gouge is good, although I understand that PT scores are also a (minor) component. Engineering majors are given preference by applying some multiplier to your GPA. Non-eng. tech majors (math, science) get some smaller multiplier.

As for chances of getting flight, I can only offer anecdotal info: last April the AFROTC here sent one person to flight school; we sent half a dozen. The numbers look similar this year.

armada1651

pilot
armanda's gouge is good, although I understand that PT scores are also a (minor) component. Engineering majors are given preference by applying some multiplier to your GPA. Non-eng. tech majors (math, science) get some smaller multiplier.

As for chances of getting flight, I can only offer anecdotal info: last April the AFROTC here sent one person to flight school; we sent half a dozen. The numbers look similar this year.

PT scores are taken into account, but not directly - they go into your NROTC aptitude scores. As I understand you also need to have an Excellent Low (I think) to commission. As for engineering/technical degrees, I believe engineers get an extra 7% added in and non-engineering technical get 5% or something like that.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I want to become a pilot, at all costs

It would tickle me pink to become a Naval Aviator, but I signed up to put the officer insignia on more so than the wings. If you're just looking for what service will put you in the cockpit, do some harder thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I chose the Navy for the opportunity to become a leader of warfighters; combine that with an opportunity to land/take off on a boat, and it's win/win. There's a certain zest I have for the Navy, including all of the tradition and legacies that are involved in it, whether aviation, submarines, surface, or whatever. You can fly anywhere, whether it's military or airline. Maybe I bought into the sea stories, maybe I bought into the commercials, what of it? I'm pumped to wear the bars as much as the flight suit.

/drunken rant

armada1651

pilot
It would tickle me pink to become a Naval Aviator, but I signed up to put the officer insignia on more so than the wings. If you're just looking for what service will put you in the cockpit, do some harder thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I chose the Navy for the opportunity to become a leader of warfighters; combine that with an opportunity to land/take off on a boat, and it's win/win. There's a certain zest I have for the Navy, including all of the tradition and legacies that are involved in it, whether aviation, submarines, surface, or whatever. You can fly anywhere, whether it's military or airline. Maybe I bought into the sea stories, maybe I bought into the commercials, what of it? I'm pumped to wear the bars as much as the flight suit.

/drunken rant

Wow, a lot of great points I didn't even think of including. It definitely seems to me that the Navy places significantly more emphasis on leadership than the Air Force, which is more technically-based and business-like (literally). So keep in mind that in the Navy you will be an officer first and a pilot second. Also, there is a lot of strongly-held tradition in the Navy, especially compared to the Air Force. It is a vastly different culture.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
It would tickle me pink to become a Naval Aviator, but I signed up to put the officer insignia on more so than the wings.

Wow - I just thought the gold Navy wings look cooler than the nasty AF wings. That was my decision process.:icon_wink

HuggyU2

None
I want to become a pilot, at all costs, ...
Navigator-78
Flight Hours- 150
I'll spare you the abuse of all the Aggie jokes.
What strikes me is this: with 150 flight hours, you should be doing much better than an 80/78 in the pilot/nav.
Go take an instrument ground school; I'm assuming you haven't done so. Does A&M offer an Inst Ground School class? If so, it's probably under the Dept of Aero Eng.
Since you want to become a pilot at all costs, get some hard core instrument instruction: in my opinion, you need to get your pilot/nav scores up (even if you decide to go Navy), and that should help.