• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC stud considering options

Senator

First post here.

Due to some family financial problems I may have to take a semester off of my AFROTC plan. I thought I should take this winter break to evaluate my options since I (unfortunately) plunged right into AFROTC without really looking around.

I'm very familiar with the pilot selection process within AFROTC, but I don't know anything about NROTC pilot selection or naval pilot training. Now I have searched this site and I've got the gist of selection in terms of what goes into your 'score', but I don't know anything else. I scored in the 20th percentile in the pilot section and the 40th percentile in the navigator section in the Air Forces version of yalls test; but I think you all take the score a lot more serious than AFROTC does.

If you all could stay with me and maybe help answer some of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!

1. When do NROTC students go through the selection process?
2. If you can speak on it, is it harder to get a slot in AFROTC or NROTC?
3. I've heard something about 'guaranteed to fly' program in NROTC, does that actually exist?
4. How competitive is pilot selection in nrotc? Or....Generally what percentage of studs who apply get selected?
5. What's airframe selection like if selected?
6. What's the most common airframe assigned out of training? for instance, in the AF it's most likely a c130, tanker, or c17
7. How competitive are fighters or 'fast movers'?
Any other tips you all can give me would be great! ( besides search more :eek:)

wrk

1. Near the end of your Senior year.

3. As far as I know, you can only get a gauranteed flight contract out of NROTC if you're a Marine option and apply for it.

4. It's not terribly competitive, it's not extremely hard or anything, but not everyone gets pilot. If your grades are good, and you have a good ASTB score, you'd probably get it.

5. Rotary(various H-60s), P3s, EA6Bs, F-18s, E6s, E2/C2.

6. I'd say you're most likely to get Rotary, and least likely to get E6s, but a lot of people get P3s, which I think would be cool.

7. Competitive, but if you do your best, you just may get it.

Of course, keep in mind that anything you read on here (including what I've wrote of course) could be completly wrong. The best thing to do would be to contact one of the instructors at the NROTC unit you're looking at, they'd be able to answer your questions and help point you in the right direction.

navy09

None
Based on what (little) I know about AFROTC pilot selection rates, it's comparable to Navy. My AF Cadet friends seem to stress out about it a lot more though, I can’t blame them. From what I understand non-aviators in the AF are almost like second-class citizens.

Also remember that in the Navy, you're an officer first (pilot, NFO, SWO second). I don’t think that joining the military/selecting a service branch based on your chances of getting pilot/jets is a very good idea, but I know that some people actually do it.

Also, I don’t know how old you are, but unless you’re an AS 100 (4/c) it’s probably too late for you to switch to NROTC. If you really want to join the Navy though, there are many ways…

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Also, keep in mind that right now NFOs (Navigators) are in high demand. Last year they didn't even fill the available slots. You're still flying and you get to do more of the mission instead of driving the bus.

Also, airframe selection happens near the end of Primary Flight School based on scores, needs of the Navy, etc.

I've been in the Navy for 8 years and I worked for an Air Force Squadron for 18 months and they drove me absolutely nuts. You need to think about what you want out of the military. Compared to the USAF the Navy is much more old school. USAF tries to act all cool, copying what works in civilian corporate culture, and then when someone doesn't man up and act like a professional member of the military they exercise that military authority and it seem like a stab in the back. I guess I would say the Navy seems like more of a family/team culture while Air Force is more business-like.

wrk

And don't forget AF flight school is a haze-ex, while navy flight school is more about getting everyone through.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also, keep in mind that right now NFOs (Navigators) are in high demand. Last year they didn't even fill the available slots. You're still flying and you get to do more of the mission instead of driving the bus.

my unit had a CAPT from TW-2 visit in a T-45 last month and he said the same thing was true for SNA applicants.....not sure if this is true or not

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
my unit had a CAPT from TW-2 visit in a T-45 last month and he said the same thing was true for SNA applicants.....not sure if this is true or not

probably true...but there have been less applicants to NFO since laser eye surgery became acceptable for Pilot.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to fly, work hard and put together the best package you can and if Pilot and NFO are your top two choices you have a pretty good chance of getting one. Either way you're flying!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
probably true...but there have been less applicants to NFO since laser eye surgery became acceptable for Pilot.
BOTTOM LINE: If you want to fly, work hard and put together the best package you can and if Pilot and NFO are your top two choices you have a pretty good chance of getting one. Either way you're flying!!!

Are you making that assumption on your own, or is that based on statistical data from CNRC? Be careful about drawing universal conclusions based on your own anecdotal experience. Wink? What's the real scoop on this matter?

Brett

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you making that assumption on your own, or is that based on statistical data from CNRC? Be careful about drawing universal conclusions based on your own anecdotal experience. Wink? What's the real scoop on this matter?

Brett

There was an article in the Washington Post about this a couple months ago relating to the academy. They didn't mention NFOs, but they did say how it was, of all things, hurting the sub community. Fewer academy mids had subs as one of their top choices as a result.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was an article in the Washington Post about this a couple months ago relating to the academy. They didn't mention NFOs, but they did say how it was, of all things, hurting the sub community. Fewer academy mids had subs as one of their top choices as a result.

I'm afraid the Washington Post isn't going to cut it here. ;)

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor

Anyone know if this is true or not? Wink?

WingedRyno

Senator,

What year are you in AFROTC? I'm assuming you're not on contract otherwise you'd probably not be having this discussion. Have you taken your AFOQT yet?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan

Brett

No, this is not based on statistical or empirical data but rather anecdotal experience and gouge from my COC and postings here and at SailorBob.

It is a fact that for last year's NROTC service selection, SNA and SWO were full, while SNFO was not...and there were alot of posts about non-SWO-selects being encouraged to take the ASTB and go NFO.

Sorry, didn't mean to be vague or presumptive.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It is a fact that for last year's NROTC service selection, SNA and SWO were full, while SNFO was not...and there were alot of posts about non-SWO-selects being encouraged to take the ASTB and go NFO.

Sorry, didn't mean to be vague or presumptive.

Not totally out of the ordinary... happened in '04 as well... something to do with an overmanning of JOs on the ships due to the elimination of the 6 month SWOS sylabus IIRC.