• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC stud considering options

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
happened in '04 as well... something to do with an overmanning of JOs on the ships due to the elimination of the 6 month SWOS sylabus IIRC.

Yeah, and they all seemed to be on my frigate.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
First post here.

1. When do NROTC students go through the selection process?
2. If you can speak on it, is it harder to get a slot in AFROTC or NROTC?
3. I've heard something about 'guaranteed to fly' program in NROTC, does that actually exist?
4. How competitive is pilot selection in nrotc? Or....Generally what percentage of studs who apply get selected?
5. What's airframe selection like if selected?
6. What's the most common airframe assigned out of training? for instance, in the AF it's most likely a c130, tanker, or c17
7. How competitive are fighters or 'fast movers'?
Any other tips you all can give me would be great! ( besides search more :eek:)

I just finished Navy multi-engine flight training so take this for what it's worth.

1: I applied for flight school at the start of my senior year but took the ASTB fall of my junior year. I was told I'd been selected as an SNA December of my senior year in college.

2: In my expierience it seems a lot harder to get a pilot slot in the Air Force vice the Navy. I lived with an AFROTC at school and they had fewer pilots select than we did over in the NROTC unit. Maybe the Air Force has the same number of slots as the Navy but remember everyone in the Air Force wants to be a pilot, not so in the Navy.

3: The Marines are the only ones that have that deal.

4: I wouldn't say it was the toughest program to get into. If you have half way decent grades and did ok on the ASTB you probably have a better than 50/50 shot of getting picked up. That said, sometimes everyone gets what they want and sometimes no one does. Pay your nickel and take your chances.

5: You fill out a dream sheet toward the end of primary and find out the week you finish.

6: What you get out of primary can be something of a crap shoot depending on what the Navy needs and what other people put down on their dream sheets. Jets are hardest to get but if you can manage better than a 50 NSS you might just get them. The week I selected we had a bunch of guys get P-3s who wanted them (myself included), one or two guys get helos, and one get jets. Other weeks those numbers change, sometimes drastically.

7: See above. They're competitive but not everyone wants them. Sometimes it just comes down to if you have the grades or not.

Hope that helps some.