• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AFROTC to x commision to USMC as pilot question

ledhead

alright, i think i got something new here. I know the nrotc and afrotc programs are different especially if you go Marine option. Right now I am on scholarship ready to commission next spring as a pilot into the USAF. However, I really feel I want to x commission to the USMC but still as a pilot. I know I will have to go to ocs and tbs, my question is, does anybody know if I can get a guarenteed pilot slot into the USMC?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
alright, i think i got something new here. I know the nrotc and afrotc programs are different especially if you go Marine option. Right now I am on scholarship ready to commission next spring as a pilot into the USAF. However, I really feel I want to x commission to the USMC but still as a pilot. I know I will have to go to ocs and tbs, my question is, does anybody know if I can get a guarenteed pilot slot into the USMC?

Absolutly...Call for your lobotomy and sign up!

Really though...I'd talk ASAP (because of the bolded part above) to a MOI (Marine Officer Instructor at the CLOSEST NROTC Unit) first and see what they can do for you...DO NOT bring up this desire of yours to any senior officer there that is not going to be happy about this (ie, anyone you cannot confide in) or you may lose that pilot spot quicker than Brett loses any chick interested in marrying him and then end up behind a Nuclear Missle Firing control 300' underground in Nevada. The AF spent money on you and they expect to recieve a product...

Be careful grasshopper...

pdx

HSM Pilot
I happen to know a guy who got a USMC pilot guarantee after commissioning from the AF Academy. Uncommon, difficult, but possible.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A fellow SWO on my first divo tour went to the AF Academy. I think the hardest part will be securing the pilot slot. Getting the commission in the Marine Corps is probably a paperwork drill so long as you are qualified and the MOI (that you will presumably talk to) wants to spend time on you.

STLEngineer

pilot
I was in AFROTC for 2 years (right up to camp) and I never heard anyone doing anything like this. I know a girl who quit AFROTC and then got a guaranteed pilot slot in the USMC, but she wasn't about ready to commission.

From everything I've seen, you'll have to go through OCS again. If the USMC is still guaranteeing pilot slots, you have a shot, but you'll most likely have to go through the whole process as if you're a civilian. Only your recruiter can tell you for sure.

The way the Academies operate is completely different from the way ROTC operates. You are currently serving the Air Force, for all intents and purposes (inactive reserve).

Good luck.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
From everything I've seen, you'll have to go through OCS again. If the USMC is still guaranteeing pilot slots, you have a shot, but you'll most likely have to go through the whole process as if you're a civilian. Only your recruiter can tell you for sure.

Yeah, the only way to avoid OCS is to be already commissioned and XFer. This is an option as well...but the AF is more than likely going to get their pound of flesh.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not saying this person won't have to go through OCS. I'm just saying that it's probably only a paperwork drill of getting all that set up.

ledhead

yeah, i figured id have to go through ocs, thats no big deal, i just wanted to know if it was possible to get a guarenteed pilot slot when switching over. And from the looks of it, i did not know but the USMC is short of pilots, so thats good, it looks possible, so thanks to those who replied. I am definately going to give it a shot.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
You are treading on VERY thin ice. I was in almost the exact same position as you. I however was in Army ROTC. After getting back from Leader's Development and Assessment Camp having graduated number 1 in my platoon and number 3 of over 350 in my Regiment, I had heard that the vision standards had been relaxed to become a Naval Aviator. Up to the point where my eyes got worse than 20/40 when I was about 10, that was all I ever sought to be.

So I went and talked to the local OSO and then talked to my PMS... I wanted to give him a heads up and just know that I had an interest in gaining more information. I was called everything including disloyal. Needless to say he was the opposite of helpful when I was simply trying to be upfront with him. So after talking more with my OSO and scoring a 8/8/8 67 on the ASTB I chose to not enroll in my Spring semester ROTC class which effectively broke my contract. It was a very difficult decision to make, I was at the top of my class at my University and did well at camp, which I believe was one of the reasons why my PMS was so unhelpful, I had a Ranger School slot and 2 years serving in an Infantry PLT before switching to Military Intelligence. But I knew I'd regret it if I didn't pursue my goal of becoming a Naval Aviator.

So fast forward 8 months, I've graduated and have been told I will either have to pay back my scholarship money (about $6,000) or be forced to enlist in the Army. My USMC packet is complete and I believe very competitive, but I have to wait for a decision to be made which could take until next year. So faced with a lack of options I'm currently starting my Master's in the Fall hoping that guys higher than my PMS will realize we're all on the same team.

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
It's definitely possible and it was relatively easy for me. I was in AFROTC and switched over my last semester in college. I went to the OSO office and got a guaranteed pilot slot, went to OCS last summer, and am now at TBS. I chose to go the PLC route, versus the OCC route because my recruiter said there were about three times as many pilot slots for PLC candidates. The only thing is that I had to extend school for an extra semester. Since it was football season, I had no problem with that. As far as paying back your scholarship goes...you don't have to pay it back if you commission in the Marine Corps. I had a $4500 debt to DFAS and never paid back a cent. I sent them my commissioning paperwork once I got my bars and they took care of everything. It was a pain in the ass, though. You have to work through DFAS, Maxwell, and whatever collection agency DFAS gets to do their dirty work.

Make sure you try to stay on good terms with your PAS. Mine was awesome and I owe a lot of praise to him for where I am today.

Why do you want to switch to NROTC? If go to an OSO, you can sign up and have no commitment in college. Just enjoy your last semester(s) and head to the occassional PT session on Mon and Wed mornings.

ledhead

Im not trying to switch to NROTC, I just want to cross commission when i graduate. I don't think it would be that big of a deal, people always cross commission. I was just wondering if it was possible to get a guarenteed pilot slot in the USMC.

thanks for all the warnings though, I have a pretty good relationship w/ my COC and it should be no problem with him, he might wonder why but i dont care. I am kind of worried about my PAS though. He is a different fellow. anyway, thanks again.

by the way, this site is way better at replying than the forums at military.com.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it would be that big of a deal, people always cross commission.
If you drop ROTC and go to PLC or OCC, that isn´t a cross commission. The only cross commissions I've ever heard of were Academy types, which is a program that's been around for years.

The situation GreatWaldo described best answers your question.

Ledhead, you're dead on regarding military.com.

ledhead

It's definitely possible and it was relatively easy for me. I was in AFROTC and switched over my last semester in college. I went to the OSO office and got a guaranteed pilot slot, went to OCS last summer, and am now at TBS. I chose to go the PLC route, versus the OCC route because my recruiter said there were about three times as many pilot slots for PLC candidates. The only thing is that I had to extend school for an extra semester. Since it was football season, I had no problem with that. As far as paying back your scholarship goes...you don't have to pay it back if you commission in the Marine Corps. I had a $4500 debt to DFAS and never paid back a cent. I sent them my commissioning paperwork once I got my bars and they took care of everything. It was a pain in the ass, though. You have to work through DFAS, Maxwell, and whatever collection agency DFAS gets to do their dirty work.

Make sure you try to stay on good terms with your PAS. Mine was awesome and I owe a lot of praise to him for where I am today.

Why do you want to switch to NROTC? If go to an OSO, you can sign up and have no commitment in college. Just enjoy your last semester(s) and head to the occassional PT session on Mon and Wed mornings.

well according to zab, i need to go the route you did. first what is an OSO, I am sure it is some kind of officer, but what is the SO and where can I find them? also, what is DFAS? Finally, Why did you go to OCS if you did PLC?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ledhead, I am not a recruiter, nor am I an MOI (USMC head Officer instructor at NROTC units). My post was based on 4 years of NROTC, 8 years AD, and a lot of friends in all services. You need to bust out the yellow pages and look up USMC recruiting, specifically Officer Recruiting ASAP.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If you drop ROTC and go to PLC or OCC, that isn´t a cross commission. The only cross commissions I've ever heard of were Academy types, which is a program that's been around for years.

The situation GreatWaldo described best answers your question.

Ledhead, you're dead on regarding military.com.

I have witnessed a cross-commission from AFROTC; at the ceremony I attended this May one of the graduates cross-commissioned into the Army.