• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

After a long hiatus, it’s Bear season again.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The resident USAF pilot in my Prowler squadron intercepted a pair of Bears in a T-33 one time, unarmed of course, could barely keep up to them much less intercept them but he did.

Those things are freakin fast. There was a discussion among stars that I got tangentially drawn into regarding using P-3s to assist in interception of Bears. I politely informed them that we could neither fly as high or nearly as fast as they could...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Those things are freakin fast. There was a discussion among stars that I got tangentially drawn into regarding using P-3s to assist in interception of Bears. I politely informed them that we could neither fly as high or nearly as fast as they could...

And even if you could.....it seems to me the possibility of force is an important ingredient to an intercept.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And even if you could.....it seems to me the possibility of force is an important ingredient to an intercept.
That's what you'd think, but in our world of perceptions, it's more important to have some blue aircraft in the picture which invariably gets snapped, than to actually have the capability to stop the Bear. If push came to shove, ramming is always an option of last resort. To wit, read some of the AARs for the first (unarmed) fighters to get airborne during 9/11. Those guys were going to go Kamikaze mode if necessary.

jmcquate

Contributor
That's what you'd think, but in our world of perceptions, it's more important to have some blue aircraft in the picture which invariably gets snapped, than to actually have the capability to stop the Bear. If push came to shove, ramming is always an option of last resort. To wit, read some of the AARs for the first (unarmed) fighters to get airborne during 9/11. Those guys were going to go Kamikaze mode if necessary.
Here’s a CSPAN interview with one the pilots if the initial 2 ship launch. It explains the decisions that were made. It’s long, but worth watching.
http://www.c-span.org/Events/AHTV-Remembers-911/10737423828-1/