• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aii Force Selects CSAR-X Helo Winner

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The Canadians selected the S-92 to replace their SH-3 Sea Kings as their main ASW helo, they are buying 28.

We have a Canadian H-3 driver here as as IP in 40 and he was talking about that the other day. He said by the time they finally buy them there won't be any H-3s still flying.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
ChuckMK23;274360 I would imagine the hot/high capability will be welcomed too. Will this H-47 have some sort of terrain avoidance/terrain following capability? a la Pave Low?[/QUOTE said:
The current models of MH-47G, and even earler E models already have a better generation of terrain/multi-mode radar than the AF MH-53Js. We use it constantly OCONUS.

Actually, the Chinook may be overkill for what the AF requires in a CSAR aircraft. However, the fact that systems and limitations of the aircraft are already known, as well as the development costs already borne by the 160th could prove a bargain for the AF in the end. The inner circle word was the AF 53s have been lacking in performance overseas, and the R/W guys in blue believe a Chinook variant will provide equal footing when it comes to special operations R/W assets. In the immortal words of Baron Von Richtofen..."The quality fo the crate matters little." In the end, it most likely came down to simple economics, basically an off-the-shelf-purchase

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
We have a Canadian H-3 driver here as as IP in 40 and he was talking about that the other day. He said by the time they finally buy them there won't be any H-3s still flying.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. (The Canadians as a military S-92 customer)

hscs

pilot
Actually the CSAR-X will replace the RQS -60Gs -- not the SOS birds. The MV-22 is on the path to take over with the MH53s.

A huge limitation of the -47 vice -60 wil be LZ size.l

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Actually the CSAR-X will replace the RQS -60Gs -- not the SOS birds. The MV-22 is on the path to take over with the MH53s.

A huge limitation of the -47 vice -60 wil be LZ size.l

Is that refueling probe retractable? Looks like it would be a huge hassle having that thing sticking way out there all the time, especially if you are trying to slip into a small LZ to get an injured pilot.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Is that refueling probe retractable? Looks like it would be a huge hassle having that thing sticking way out there all the time, especially if you are trying to slip into a small LZ to get an injured pilot.

I think what we see is rigid; another extendable/retractable probe is inside that. I don't think it extends much farther than the rotor diameter as it looks in the pics.

Stearmann4

None
I think what we see is rigid; another extendable/retractable probe is inside that. I don't think it extends much farther than the rotor diameter as it looks in the pics.

16' 4" doesn't retract, and there's no extension. When we AR, the basket is actually under the rotor disk. As for LZ suitability, if you can't fastrope em' in/on, or FRIEs em' out chances are you're not landing in between buildings like the 60's or 6s'.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

From what I've read and heard second hand the preferred tactics are always to fastrope operators in - so LZ capability is a non issue.

Personally I am happy to see a tandem rotor helo continue in cutting edge service like this. It will keep the plant in Philly busy for a while.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
From what I've read and heard second hand the preferred tactics are always to fastrope operators in - so LZ capability is a non issue.

Personally I am happy to see a tandem rotor helo continue in cutting edge service like this. It will keep the plant in Philly busy for a while.

But how about with regards to Search and Rescue? I don't know what FRIE means (some kind of hoist?) but how do you get a non-ambulatory casualty in the helo if the aircraft can't fit in the LZ? Say you fast rope some guys to the ground for security and to get the casualty, then you have to hoist each of those guys back up in addition to the casualty. Makes for a lot of time attracting attention as a sitting duck.

Stearmann4

None
But how about with regards to Search and Rescue? I don't know what FRIE means (some kind of hoist?) but how do you get a non-ambulatory casualty in the helo if the aircraft can't fit in the LZ? Say you fast rope some guys to the ground for security and to get the casualty, then you have to hoist each of those guys back up in addition to the casualty. Makes for a lot of time attracting attention as a sitting duck.

FastRope Insertion Extraction (FRIEs) Hoist victim out via litter, etc. PJs climb a Jacobs or caving ladder. If it's very time sensitive, they'll hook into metal rings woven into the rope and get "short hauled" to a tenable LZ.

hscs

pilot
Actually, landing is alway preferred -- much faster and less power required.