• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force couple flies practice alert scramble

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Elemendorf based 19th Fighter Squadron flying F-15C Eagles recently launched on a practice alert with Maj and Capt Jones at the controls (who are a married couple assigned to the squadron). Read the story.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. How do they deal with fraternization...one's a MAJ the other a CPT. You'd think their relationship could affect good order and discipline.

This is great...until they have a mid-air and become another first... :watching3

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Wow, gives new meaning to compartmentalizing in the cockpit... :confused:

A little hard for them to not take their work home with 'em... :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, gives new meaning to compartmentalizing in the cockpit... :confused:

...one question they likely won't come up: "So what did you do at work today?"

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

or their home to work with them...

"Honey, did you take out the trash before our brief?"
"Uh, i'll get it later, dear."
"GOD DAMN IT!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I..."
*reaches for eject handles*

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I thought there were rules against things such as this since the Sullivan Brothers in WWII.

Granted they were brothers, but I was under the impression that family members could not serve in the same unit.

snake020

Contributor
Granted they were brothers, but I was under the impression that family members could not serve in the same unit.

I think that's an urban legend. Tillman brothers were in the same unit at one point. There's also a difference between having two people and five people from the same family in the same unit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't think that was allowed. Maybe different in the Navy. On my last tour we found a married enlisted couple, one was a Chief (my Chief) and the other a 1st or 2nd class. She wasn't in his chain of command but orders were being made to send one right out of the squadron. The fact he didn't tell anyone probably didn't help and we found out through somebody telling on them. Happened back in 99 or 00 at VRC-30 as well.

hscs

pilot
It is obviously up to the COs to enforce --saw one Navy helo squadron with a married couple in it. Blew my mind...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I've been in units with more than one married couple in the same MOS working together. They always went to different shops though.

As far as fraternization goes, I don't think the Capt/Maj relation is that big of a deal unless the Maj is in her CoC. I dare say it doesn't really matter in the Air Force's culture anyway, but for all I know it's more important over there. I have no idea.

I've also seen several enlisted/commissioned marriages, but that's a different story altogether.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Siblings are not allowed to serve on the same ship; I assume that extends to the same unit too. This policy is detailed in "Left to Die: The Tragedy of the USS Juneau" (great read, BTW). That's the boat the five Sullivan brothers died on and also the four Rogers brothers. I dunno if the other services have a similar rule. The book, obviously, doesn't talk about married folks. I don't think the rule would be the same for other than siblings as the intent of the rule is to protect a family from losing all its children in one event.

Edit: did some research. The rule the Navy has, which is not congressionally required, is that brothers should not serve on the same ship in time of war. After WWII the Navy, "...can now revert to its long-time policy of not prohibiting members of the same family from serving together aboard the same ship or at the same activity."

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq72-5.htm

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Siblings are not allowed to serve on the same ship; I assume that extends to the same unit too. This policy is detailed in "Left to Die: The Tragedy of the USS Juneau" (great read, BTW). That's the boat the five Sullivan brothers died on and also the four Rogers brothers. I dunno if the other services have a similar rule. The book, obviously, doesn't talk about married folks. I don't think the rule would be the same for other than siblings as the intent of the rule is to protect a family from losing all its children in one event.

We had twin brothers in sister squadrons....one of them got put in liberty risk status and couldn't go ashore so the brothers swapped places so both could go on liberty. Eventually, they were caught because someone in the chain saw the wrong brother ashore. Nice try, but he got in nore trouble and dragged his brother into it as well (somewhat willingly) so they were both restricted to ship for next port call.