• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force couple flies practice alert scramble

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Siblings are not allowed to serve on the same ship; I assume that extends to the same unit too. This policy is detailed in "Left to Die: The Tragedy of the USS Juneau" (great read, BTW). That's the boat the five Sullivan brothers died on and also the four Rogers brothers. I dunno if the other services have a similar rule. The book, obviously, doesn't talk about married folks. I don't think the rule would be the same for other than siblings as the intent of the rule is to protect a family from losing all its children in one event.

I know 2 brothers have been in the same guard unit for some time now. They both fly for the 192nd out of VA.

Actually, I can think of more than a few guard units where they have siblings or the father/son relationship going on within the squadron. I'm pretty sure a few of them have been on the same combat deployment as well. (Though in the guard it's only 30-45 days, they split up a 90 day deployment between 2 or 3 units)

60B Rotorhead

pilot
Guard unit I was in before going Navy had 2 brothers and their uncle in it. Also I did a mid cruise on the ship my dad was on, but then again we weren't going into harm's way and it was only a mid cruise. I knew lots of guys who did that though and went to the command one of their parents were at. I had thought though that DoD prohibited in command marriages/siblings on deployed units. It's a little different for the Navy I think because if the boat sinks, it's a lot harder to get rescued than on the ground. Also have to consider it from a SERE standpoint in that if both are captured, if the bad guys figure it out.... At the HT's there was a married set of IPs (one Navy, one CG) and I heard that the skipper was pretty pissed when they both ended up in the same squadron.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Air Force has always dealt with fraternization a lot lighter than the Navy. My neighbor growing up was an a pilot for American... and a AF Reserve Major. He met his wife when they were both active duty, before he went reserve.

He was a Captain, she was his enlisted crew-chief.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
We had twin brothers in sister squadrons....one of them got put in liberty risk status and couldn't go ashore so the brothers swapped places so both could go on liberty. Eventually, they were caught because someone in the chain saw the wrong brother ashore. Nice try, but he got in nore trouble and dragged his brother into it as well (somewhat willingly) so they were both restricted to ship for next port call.

That's great. :D Not sure if that's just the JO spirit or the general brown shoe rebel streak. Sure, they got caught but huge points for just trying it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's great. :D Not sure if that's just the JO spirit or the general brown shoe rebel streak. Sure, they got caught but huge points for just trying it.
I'm assuming (hoping actually) that these were not JO's, but a couple of enlisted fellas that thought they were smarter than the system.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure if that's just the JO spirit or the general brown shoe rebel streak.
I realize you guys like to put up a front of being the cool, laid back officer but the fact of the matter is, a lot of you have some really anal retentive blood flowing through your veins.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I realize you guys like to put up a front of being the cool, laid back officer but the fact of the matter is, a lot of you have some really anal retentive blood flowing through your veins.

Gee, we're not all the same? Who thunk it :eek: Certainly some communities and some squadrons are tighter and some looser than other. Can't imagine that all shoes are uptight A-holes. Oh' wait, after 20 years of dealing with them I can ;)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gee, we're not all the same? Who thunk it :eek: Certainly some communities and some squadrons are tighter and some looser than other. Can't imagine that all shoes are uptight A-holes. Oh' wait, after 20 years of dealing with them I can ;)
But shoes don't try to hide it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Siblings are not allowed to serve on the same ship; I assume that extends to the same unit too.

Not quite. A few years ago ('98-'99 time frame) VQ-2 had twin brothers in the squadron at the same time. I was told that they could not fly together but everyone in VQ knew who they were and so did everyone who had gone to the Academy with them it seemed ('94 grads I think), they were quite well known.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd rather eat my pistol than fly with my wife. Driving cross country is bad enough.

"I TOLD you we were behind on TOT!" I'd have to do all the preflights, too.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not quite. A few years ago ('98-'99 time frame) VQ-2 had twin brothers in the squadron at the same time. I was told that they could not fly together but everyone in VQ knew who they were and so did everyone who had gone to the Academy with them it seemed ('94 grads I think), they were quite well known.
I flew the Admiral Ryan twins together on my plane when they were both Commodores. John was CPW-10 and Norbert was CPW-2. If it wasn't for their name tags and patches, I couldn't tell them apart. But by addressing them as Commodore and Sir, I couldn't go wrong....

I have nothing but good to say about both of them. Great people, great officers, great pilots.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Back when the Gators (VMFA-142) deployed for OIF in '05, There was a father/son duo.

The Pops was the CO and the Son was an Enlisted Hornet Handler who swapped over from 224 for the deployment.

Sounds like to me it has to do with whether the CO allows it in his unit or not.

pat

On my DDG we had twins working therre, no problem. Then one married a chick on the boat, and INSTANTLY there was orders for one of the twins to go.

The moral:
1. Twins on the same boat is not a problem.
2. Women ruin everything.