• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Guy Headed to Whiting

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
My understanding (though it could have just been bad gouge) was that the one on the stick at Whiting was a very low pullout, similar to the story you posted, but due to a bad spin/spiral. I'll have to ask a bud of mine to see what he says. Maybe E6B has heard a similar version.

No, I don't know. I will have to look it up in the pile of hazreps in my office. I know the one at Brewton was an over-g due to low pullout, but don't remember the exact circumstances. I think the 3G thing is a horrible idea, but other than PA flights, I really don't ever go any higher.

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
It's starting to sound like Whiting is not going to be all that great, and the t34 makes me really wish I could fly the texan. Either way i'm ready to get there and start flying. With the price of avgas I cant afford to fly around for fun anymore so either aircraft will be exciting.
I am really pleased at how much information you guys are offering out.
Last questions.....seriously!!

1) By the way...you said you contacted AFPC..any idea which department you contacted. I can only imagine the hoops im going to try and jump through here.

2) After primary does anyone know if I will continue pipeline with the navy or do they send us AF types back to the AF? Some of these questions sound stupid but really...not much on this subject out there.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Don't discount the T-34, it is still a plenty fun plane.

2. You will go back to AF land to continue on a AF pipeline. The only exception to that is if you select C-130s you will go to NAS Corpus Christi for advanced.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd take the T-34 and avoid a place like Vance vs. flying Texans with the AF any day...most of your AF compatriots at VT-3 will feel the same way. The really smart AF bubbas swung primary w/ the Navy and immediately went to Corpus for Hercs.

The T-34 is a great plane, I wish I appreciated it more when I was in Primary vs now. It's wonderfully simply.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's starting to sound like Whiting is not going to be all that great, and the t34 makes me really wish I could fly the texan. Either way i'm ready to get there and start flying.

As others have said, it's Navy flight training, you'll be glad you did it. The T-34C will be more than enough for you to handle in the beginning. It's a fun airplane, even if slow and ancient. My guess is you'll fly the T-6 one day if you ever go back to be a primary IP, AF or Navy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, I don't know. I will have to look it up in the pile of hazreps in my office. I know the one at Brewton was an over-g due to low pullout, but don't remember the exact circumstances. I think the 3G thing is a horrible idea, but other than PA flights, I really don't ever go any higher.

Hmm, maybe the story got transmorgified. Now that you mentioned it, I heard something similar. Imagine how much simpler it would be if you could search mishaps like you can search HAZREPS...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Hmm, maybe the story got transmorgified. Now that you mentioned it, I heard something similar. Imagine how much simpler it would be if you could search mishaps like you can search HAZREPS...

Good point, I guess if it was stricken then it would be a mishap. I don't have the luggage combo to the safety center website, so I don't know about searching mishaps. Somehow I have narrowly avoided going to ASO school thusfar. ASO or legal....no matter how many times you shower (or PCS), you just can't get the stink off of you.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Good point, I guess if it was stricken then it would be a mishap. I don't have the luggage combo to the safety center website, so I don't know about searching mishaps. Somehow I have narrowly avoided going to ASO school thusfar. ASO or legal....no matter how many times you shower (or PCS), you just can't get the stink off of you.

In a situation where an aircraft is over-G'd and has to be put on a stick, do they classify that as a Class A Mishap? The aircraft isn't technically destroyed, but if its not safe to fly I would imagine it wouldn't matter if the plane is still in one piece or several.

corvettetimmy

So for everyone that has flown the T-34, let me ask you this. How many times have you pulled exactly 4.5 g's... and no more? For me it was every single PA flight.

I didn't think much about it until I had an aircraft that just had the G-meters reset. It was kinda hard to get up to 4.5 G's.
Then I started to think about it and how the G-meter worked. We all know it works off acceleration and is gravity powered and it has that other needle that holds the "High G" memory with some sort of friction lock.
That brings me to the fact that I could pull back and peg 4.5 G's and it seemed that the needle stopped and rested on the "high G" memory needle due to the friction it takes to move it. Even if I pulled back more the G's wouldn't increase. Especially on the planes with only 4 or 4.2 g's, I would load up 4 G's instantly and not be able to get any more. One plane I tried to get 4.5 G's in a loop and I got shakers before the G meter increased past the memory needle position.

So, thinking about the above, could we be pulling more than 4.5 G's due to the friction of moving that memory needle and putting more stress on the aircraft than what is being considered? Or did the 10lb brain guys figure in the factor of the memory needle on the G meter?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So for everyone that has flown the T-34, let me ask you this. How many times have you pulled exactly 4.5 g's... and no more? For me it was every single PA flight.

I didn't think much about it until I had an aircraft that just had the G-meters reset. It was kinda hard to get up to 4.5 G's.
Then I started to think about it and how the G-meter worked. We all know it works off acceleration and is gravity powered and it has that other needle that holds the "High G" memory with some sort of friction lock.
That brings me to the fact that I could pull back and peg 4.5 G's and it seemed that the needle stopped and rested on the "high G" memory needle due to the friction it takes to move it. Even if I pulled back more the G's wouldn't increase. Especially on the planes with only 4 or 4.2 g's, I would load up 4 G's instantly and not be able to get any more. One plane I tried to get 4.5 G's in a loop and I got shakers before the G meter increased past the memory needle position.

So, thinking about the above, could we be pulling more than 4.5 G's due to the friction of moving that memory needle and putting more stress on the aircraft than what is being considered? Or did the 10lb brain guys figure in the factor of the memory needle on the G meter?

nuke.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Headwork...2

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

It goes past 4.5 Gs all the time. Personally, I've never done it to myself, but it happens. I do remember getting a little over-zealous w/ a Mid in the back and pegging 4.500000000000000 Gs. I was worried about what the rear meter said, but fortunately, I guess I caught it in time.

FlybyWired06

ditto on the atom bomb, this post made me dumber for reading it, gratsi!!

FlybyWired06

Ok before anybody gets upset here let it be noted I did search first and turned up useless information.....

"fastnumber," if you're still checking this and for all those SNA's-to-be after, from a guy who just finished primary ("undergrad flight training"), don't get twisted about this meaningless stuff. The military will most likely send you where you need to be at this early stage (lots of hand holding), just do your best and study hard when you get there. As far as primary itself goes, the same applies and, specifically, when you hit BI's and RI's, practice in the sims...you'll know what this means when you get there, trust me. Other than that, everything really takes care of itself...(unless you're in VT-2 and we're talking about cruise forms) G'luck!