• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrew Quest...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Yes. For the most part there are good opportunities now. Generally you would take a temporary recall to active duty, like for one year, and then request to stay on active duty once you have put some time in on that set of orders. Some guys actually do not go active, but can string together several sets of recall orders back to back. Makes for great variety and adventure. Problem is it is more like being a contract employee, not sure if you will have a job when the contract runs out. Flyinspy will have some personal expertise on the active/recall issue.

Wink is spot-on. Since it looks like we're in for the proverbial "long war", and intel will continue to be a high demand designator, there will be the opportunity for Reservists to find active duty opportunities. Like Wink said, though, it's exactly like being a contract employee - you would go from one set of recall orders to another. You might take a 3-year Presidential Recall, and then have to look for a series of 179 day ADSW orders. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, especially if you find out that "hey, this "war" thing isn't all it's cracked up to be." I don't know how hard it would be to request augmentation to full-time active duty, but I think it's not easy. Making a career out of being a recalled Reservist might be a hard row to hoe.

You do have to be careful for what you ask for, though - when I joined the Navy in the late 90s, the Navy Reserve was more or less just like Homer Simpson called it - America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard and the League of Women Voters. These days, it's a different story. You want 1 year in Iraq as an IA? You can have it in a heart beat. Involuntary mobilizations are still not common, but the Magic 8-Ball says "Future unclear, check again later" on this. I joined because I wanted an opportunity to get some operational experience, and jeez have I gotten that in spades...