• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrew School/SERE as Reservist or summer semester? That is the question!

john_doza

Hey AW,i've been a longtime lurker on this site, and I would just like to express my gratitude to all of you who post helpful gouge and other information for us looking for knowledge. So i'm a sophmore at Georgia Southern University majoring in Civil Engineering, and after I graduate I want to be picked up for Naval Aviatior. I'm currently 21, and an ATI3 in the Navy Reserves, and i'm thinking for my AT this summer going to aircrew school, and possibly SERE later on in the year. Do you guys think this would strengthen my package when I put it in? The only drawback, I have is that taking the summer to go to Aircrew school, will delay my graduation because I won't be able to take summer classes.

sickboy

pilot
Are you currently in some commissioning program? If not, I don't see why you shouldn't. You get paid extra right? (I know I did after FMSS)

john_doza

I'm not currently in a commisioning program. I'm not sure about the extra pay, but i'll find out this weekend at drill.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Go for it. The experience will help you decide what you want to do later on, anyway. However, if you are interested in officer programs, talk to an officer programs recruiter (OSO in Marine-speak, dunno the Navy) to see how it would affect your timeline. Iwouldn't sweat the extra semester, though.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
An extra semester of college, really doesn't seem like a punishment to me. I know several people doing their best to extend that life :D I would say go for it as well.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Go for it man! I graduated from southern in 2007 and an extra semester at GSU sounds like a good thing to me... Go Eagles! I can put you in touch with my old officer recruiter (or his replacement) if you'd like.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Do it man! I hear AW school is tough but nothing you prob cant handle - and just like spyguy said, dont worry about extending college out, its a damn good time especially with your school's scenery, good gawd!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not currently in a commisioning program. I'm not sure about the extra pay, but i'll find out this weekend at drill.

Would make more sense to get your likely or preferred commissioning path sorted out with an Officer Recruiter before jumping on what you think might help your package. If you are literally waiting until "after I graduate" to apply so you can "be picked up for Naval Aviatior [sic]", you're building risk or unneeded delay into your timeline. What paths are you considering and have you talked to an Officer Recruiter?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In addition to what HeyJoe says above, I don't think the ATI rate is eligible for Aircrew. You'd either have to cross-rate to AW or to another flying rating. While you could attend Aircrew school, you might not get earn wings, but this depends on where you are, and with whom you fly. I'd say unless you are doing the reservist thing full time, why waste your time? Get your CDI or CD/QAR qual. There are plenty of other things that can get you noticed at a board.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you say you're thinking "for my AT this summer going to aircrew school, and possibly SERE later on in the year," do you mean you've actually been offered those schools?

Because if not, bear in mind that NACCS and SERE aren't like some sort of elective course with a signup list. NACCS is a tough school and there aren't that many Reserve slots. And, as ea6b said, I don't know if they take ATs anymore anyway, seeing as all Aircrew are converting to AWs.

And SERE slots are limited in number and usually taken up quickly by those headed to the Fleet in the near-term. I don't know how much luck you'll have as a drilling reservist going for shits-and-grins.

Point is, neither school is something you just go do for fun and to expand your personal worldview. If you have the chance to go, by all means take it, and it couldn't hurt to pursue it, but I'd be kinda surprised if your reserve center can dig up the billets.

+1 on what hj said, too. If you want to get a comission and get into the Program after graduation, you need to talk to an Officer Recruiter asap.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
And SERE slots are limited in number and usually taken up quickly by those headed to the Fleet in the near-term. I don't know how much luck you'll have as a drilling reservist going for shits-and-grins.

FWIW, we had no trouble getting SelRes slots to SERE - both Brunswick and Warner.

john_doza

When you say you're thinking "for my AT this summer going to aircrew school, and possibly SERE later on in the year," do you mean you've actually been offered those schools?

Because if not, bear in mind that NACCS and SERE aren't like some sort of elective course with a signup list. NACCS is a tough school and there aren't that many Reserve slots. And, as ea6b said, I don't know if they take ATs anymore anyway, seeing as all Aircrew are converting to AWs.

I've been offered Aircrew through my reserve center, and it does seem odd seeing how when I was at P-cola I was told they're was no chance in hell that an ATI could get into aircrew:icon_smil. I have talked to the officer recruiter in Jacksonville, and I kinda got blew off when I told him I had a 2.5 GPA( from two wasted years in college before enlisting). After this semester i'm going to speak with him again more agressively:icon_mi_1.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been offered Aircrew through my reserve center, and it does seem odd seeing how when I was at P-cola I was told they're was no chance in hell that an ATI could get into aircrew:icon_smil. I have talked to the officer recruiter in Jacksonville, and I kinda got blew off when I told him I had a 2.5 GPA( from two wasted years in college before enlisting). After this semester i'm going to speak with him again more agressively:icon_mi_1.
Right now the 2.5 GPA is just too low for most guys. HJ and the others are right. Get back with the recruiter when he has time to talk. Tell him you are aware of the GPA issue and how you are going to bring it up. Then tell him you have an option to go to NACCS and possible SERE. I have to tell you, either of those schools will help you make up for the GPA. The GPA and major are looked at as indicators of whether a guy can complete OCS and has the aptitude to complete follow on designator training, like flight school. Getting a smoking astb score helps in the later and completing NACCS and possible SERE is a big indicator of the former. Since age isn't a factor and you have to make up for your GPA, I'd say go if you can. Then start to work on the GPA. Apply as soon as you are eligible.

bluemarlin04

I usually dont post but I feel the need to help you on this one. I joined the Navy reserves as a Aircrew candidate and went to aircrew and ATO A school. What you are doing will completely screw you. I went to NACCS and ended up in a sub command in the reserves. I weaseled my way into a aircrew billet later on but I got screwed first.

Heres the thing, unless you have a specific billet setup at a squadron, you arent going to get winged. Furthermore, you have to have a follow on school such as loadmaster to get the specific NEC required for aircrew and to merge into AWF. Its not worth the effort to go to NACCS for fun. And since you said reserve center I am going to guess you arent part of a VR squadron. Bad idea. It is five weeks of hard physical activity and swimming. It really wont help the package much since they are going to wonder why you went to NACCS but didnt complete the pipeline to become a winged aircrewmen.

Thats my two cents

dont listen to reserves centers. Those a holes will say anything to you to make you happy until you actually call them on it than they will back peddle. Im a bit bitter with my previous reserve center