• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrew School/SERE as Reservist or summer semester? That is the question!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bad idea. It is five weeks of hard physical activity and swimming. It really wont help the package much since they are going to wonder why you went to NACCS but didnt complete the pipeline to become a winged aircrewmen.

Thats my two cents
WRONG! Your first two paragraphs were probably useful and apparently based on your own previous experience. But your admonition that completing NAAC would not make a positive impression on an OCS Board is something you have no experience with and so you are just shooting off your mouth. The fact that an applicant had not earned his wings post NAAC is easily explained and in the case you site, understandable and not the fault of the applicant. The Board understands this. The real value in going to NAAC, to the Board, is that it IS a hard physical program with lots of swimming, and on graduating the TRAINING program the applicant has demonstrated he will likely have no problem with the physical and military aspects of OCS. That he doesn't get the required hours of flight time to ultimately pin on wings in the circumstance you mention, means nothing to the board. Try to keep your crappy attitude about Reserve Centers from tainting your posts ( I do ;)

bluemarlin04

WRONG! Your first two paragraphs were probably useful and apparently based on your own previous experience. But your admonition that completing NAAC would not make a positive impression on an OCS Board is something you have no experience with and so you are just shooting off your mouth. The fact that an applicant had not earned his wings post NAAC is easily explained and in the case you site, understandable and not the fault of the applicant. The Board understands this. The real value in going to NAAC, to the Board, is that it IS a hard physical program with lots of swimming, and on graduating the TRAINING program the applicant has demonstrated he will likely have no problem with the physical and military aspects of OCS. That he doesn't get the required hours of flight time to ultimately pin on wings in the circumstance you mention, means nothing to the board. Try to keep your crappy attitude about Reserve Centers from tainting your posts ( I do ;)

Alright, duly noted. I dont know if it will help your packet or not. What is NAAC?

I would concentrate on school or another Navy school that would apply to your current job. NACCS is just physically challenging and requires no brain power what so ever. It will take some convincing also since SELRES are not required to go to NACCS to become an aircrewman. They only have to attend initial swim phys. Plus, with the new rate merger for selres in April to AWF its doesnt seem like a good idea. Its up to you, Im talking from experience and how I got screwed by the reserves. I wouldnt go to NACCS with no chance of ever being winged, thats a waste imo.

P.S. I have a bad attitude towards reserve centers because Ive seen many many people get screwed by them. If I can help one person not fall into the trap they feed the new guys than I feel I should.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, duly noted. I dont know if it will help your packet or not. What is NAAC?

My bad. Of course I meant NACCS, Aircrew School. You knew what I meant. But I'll allow the snide remark so as to clarify my post for those not so informed as you and I.

bluemarlin04

Read this thread for an objective (and nontainted/bitter) overview of what lies ahead.

My view is non tainted. Im just telling it like it is and what will likely happen from my PERSONAL experience in aircrew school, reserve centers and reserve squadrons. Besides that thread talks about SAR school for the most part which is entirely different.

Of course I am bitter, I signed up to be aircrew and ended up doing line handling in a sub command at no fault of my own. Im just trying to help the guy so he knows what he is getting into. Furthermore nothing will lie ahead for him besides aircrew school, he wont magically get wings without finding a billet in a squadron and completing the proper syllabus for his position. I don't understand why people are jumping on my advice when it comes from my personal experience, not something I heard from someone.

Yes, im not sure about the board, please disregard has I am not in the position to comment on that particular aspect.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As a graduate of NACCS, AW "A" and "C" School, SERE, OCS, API, and a few more alphabets...NACCS is not that hard. If you can pass a PRT with a Good Low...you can make it through Aircrew. I would suggest taking it if you legitimately have the opportunity...I see no way an extra school can do anything but HELP you down the road.

SERE was stressful, but not what I would call "hard." I don't have the numbers but a VAST majority of people who attend the school graduate. Nobody washed fom our class of 40+ and I think most of the attrites are injuries.

SAR is a completely different beast...I DOR'd way early in that program...I don't swim so hot...you'd have to talk to a swimmer about that...

Pickle

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a graduate of NACCS, AW "A" and "C" School, SERE, OCS, API, and a few more alphabets...NACCS is not that hard. If you can pass a PRT with a Good Low...you can make it through Aircrew. I would suggest taking it if you legitimately have the opportunity...I see no way an extra school can do anything but HELP you down the road.

SERE was stressful, but not what I would call "hard." I don't have the numbers but a VAST majority of people who attend the school graduate. Nobody washed fom our class of 40+ and I think most of the attrites are injuries.

SAR is a completely different beast...I DOR'd way early in that program...I don't swim so hot...you'd have to talk to a swimmer about that...

Pickle

I must agree with Pickle. I too attended Aircrew & SERE as an Enlisted guy. Not too tough like he said. I was not a SAR guy so I can't speak to the beatings they receive.

-ea6bflyr ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's the bigger question. I personnely wouldn't go to SERE until it's absolutely necessary.

Caveat would be don't delay until you're relatively senior, which brings extra fun.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Caveat would be don't delay until you're relatively senior, which brings extra fun.

As a former 2nd-most-senior member of my SERE class, to quote the Temptations,"I second that emotion."

And as Forest Gump said,"That's all I've got to say about th-at..."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My view is non tainted. Im just telling it like it is and what will likely happen from my PERSONAL experience in aircrew school, reserve centers and reserve squadrons. Besides that thread talks about SAR school for the most part which is entirely different.
Excellent. Your personnel experiences may be instructive to some on the board. That is why people come to AW. But...

Of course I am bitter, I signed up to be aircrew and ended up doing line handling in a sub command at no fault of my own. Im just trying to help the guy so he knows what he is getting into. Furthermore nothing will lie ahead for him besides aircrew school, he wont magically get wings without finding a billet in a squadron and completing the proper syllabus for his position. I don't understand why people are jumping on my advice when it comes from my personal experience, not something I heard from someone.
Here is where you go off the track, once again. First the original poster didn't say anything about how important it was for him to get wings and fly in a reserve billet. He wanted to know if completing the SCHOOL would improve his chances of selection to OCS. Given that, your post was non responsive. Perhaps valuable for someone else, but not on point at all. Which brings us back to your attitude. Again, what happened to you was unfortunate, but hardly worth all the emotion on display here. This is the Navy. People don't always get to do what they want. So you had to spend some time on the deck of a sub. So what. You are, in fact, an aircrewman now, on C-20s no less, in HI. Not a bad gig. It worked out didn't it? Lots of sailors will not find any sympathy for you. You are promised training, never a billet or unit. Reserve Centers are often not customer oriented. I had some bad experiences too. Do I bitch about the fact that I was screwed out of well over 100 points, that will cost me real money? On active duty I got extended in my squadron just before my wedding so I had to unexpectedly leave a bride and go to sea again, causing me to miss dream shore duty orders. But, I don't have a bad attitude about it anymore because I know guys, on this board, that have gotten much worse deals then me, or you. So loose the attitude. Offer a little perspective in your posts about your experiences. Frankly, no one here is going to show you any respect for bitching about any reserve job in HI. You can come back with some attitude when you get recalled to active duty for some shitty green job in the sand box that pulls you out of $100K a year job you were about to get a promotion in. Until then, be happy. ;)

bluemarlin04

Excellent. Your personnel experiences may be instructive to some on the board. That is why people come to AW. But...

Here is where you go off the track, once again. First the original poster didn't say anything about how important it was for him to get wings and fly in a reserve billet. He wanted to know if completing the SCHOOL would improve his chances of selection to OCS. Given that, your post was non responsive. Perhaps valuable for someone else, but not on point at all. Which brings us back to your attitude. Again, what happened to you was unfortunate, but hardly worth all the emotion on display here. This is the Navy. People don't always get to do what they want. So you had to spend some time on the deck of a sub. So what. You are, in fact, an aircrewman now, on C-20s no less, in HI. Not a bad gig. It worked out didn't it? Lots of sailors will not find any sympathy for you. You are promised training, never a billet or unit. Reserve Centers are often not customer oriented. I had some bad experiences too. Do I bitch about the fact that I was screwed out of well over 100 points, that will cost me real money? On active duty I got extended in my squadron just before my wedding so I had to unexpectedly leave a bride and go to sea again, causing me to miss dream shore duty orders. But, I don't have a bad attitude about it anymore because I know guys, on this board, that have gotten much worse deals then me, or you. So loose the attitude. Offer a little perspective in your posts about your experiences. Frankly, no one here is going to show you any respect for bitching about any reserve job in HI. You can come back with some attitude when you get recalled to active duty for some shitty green job in the sand box that pulls you out of $100K a year job you were about to get a promotion in. Until then, be happy. ;)

Whatever, Im not going to argue or get in a pissing match on the internet. I only told the guy my experience in the reserves to help him. Take it for what its worth.