• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline Pilots with Military Wings

ImfromJersey

After searching the threads, I couldn't find anything on this, but I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it. I flew into Newark Liberty this morning and on my way to the baggage claim, I saw some pilots headed to their terminals. One guy, a captain, had what appeared to be Air Force wings pinned on his jacket. Is there any sort of rule regarding whether or not airline pilots can wear their former military wings along with their company wings? I actually thought it was pretty cool considering the latest news about the US Airways pilot being a former fighter jock. Apparently people seem to like the idea of former military pilots flying the commercial airways, so why not wear the wings? Does anyone know much about this?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Probably just looked similar... Lots of airlines have wings that are modeled after the various services...

nugget61

pilot
Heres the current UPS wings:
United%20Parcel%20Service_21-First%20Officer%20Wing%202nd%20Issue.jpg

Link for more wings:
http://www.stanwing.com/u_index.html

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
My old man wears some mini wings of gold pinned on the lapel of his coat. Seen lots of guys that do similar things.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

Nice find... But.. The FEDEX Wings are way out of date even though it says til current.. FYI Flying Tigers was bought by FEDEX in 89... Here is a so..so.. shot of FEDEX wings off my leather jacket... Captains have gold leaves instead of silver...

Ya lots of folks wear mini-wings/tie pins of their former...

Attachments

• FEDEX Wings.jpg
    FEDEX Wings.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 250

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The 4th issue finally pulled up and it is accurate... Also read verbage instead of just looking at the pretty pictures... Good find! +1

Guess by current; it mean't we were still in business???

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, the DHS wings are out-of-date...sorta. The current head of CBP Air-Marine Ops is a former AF one-star and changed the wings design to something more Air Forcey.

However comma the P-3 bubbas in Corpus, being former Navy, were almost all still wearing the "Navy-style" wings. Go figure.

U.S.%20Department%20of%20Homeland%20Security.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My old man wears some mini wings of gold pinned on the lapel of his coat. Seen lots of guys that do similar things.

No one, except for the occasional fool, wears his/her "military" wings instead of the airline wings ...

Re your Dad: ditto -- but one of my airlines had a policy of nothing on the lapels except for your ALPA pin ... so I wore a tie bar and sometimes a tie tack sporting my Navy Wings of Gold -- actually, I liked it better that way, as I didn't wear my uniform blouse for @ 1/2 of the year and almost never in tropical climes, but I wore the tie almost all of the time. :)

I liked to show where I'd come from and pride in my service ... and sometimes it pays to advertise. :captain_1

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
My wife flies for an airline. Shortly after I came back from a cruise in '93 I took my first trip flying standby, which really is one of the best deals around. I made it all the way out to the west coast and got there a few minutes before she did and met her as they landed. Stayed overnight in the layover hotel.

The next day wife leaves early and I come down to catch the shuttle back to the airport. Back then you had to fly in a coat and tie if you wanted to get a chance at a first class seat. So, I'm wearing a sport coat, tie, and a mini set of NFO wings as a tie tack (the nice set they used to give at winging).

Some d-bag Captain is in the elevator when I get on and calls me out and sort of belligerently asks me what kind of wings I was wearing (kind of flicks my tie). I told him they were a set of Naval Flight Officer wings, and then sarcastically ask him what kind of wings he was wearing on his tie. He tells me I know good and well they are an ALPA pin, and then starts to call me a f-ing scab. At that point I pull out my active duty ID (back when they were color coded), inform him that I am on active duty, have no idea what the heck he's talking about, ask for his name so I can tell his company what a tool he is to the general public, and tell him to go to hell. He sort of apologizes and says "well you look like a scab, wearing that pin." I reply that I'd rather look like a scab than act like a f-ing idiot. Got a giggle out of one of the flight attendants.

Told my wife about it when we link up again and she tells me the non-union guys wear pins that look similar, to try not to take any heat. Used to be a huge deal to forget your pin. Not sure anymore, as I don't think the union has done anyone any huge favors in the past 7 years.

The stories she would come back with during times when she was a 727 FE and had a non-union guy as FO would make your hair stand up when she'd tell me how the Captain would act in the cockpit. Textbook how not to perform crew concept.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
My wife flies for an airline. Shortly after I came back from a cruise in '93 I took my first trip flying standby, which really is one of the best deals around. I made it all the way out to the west coast and got there a few minutes before she did and met her as they landed. Stayed overnight in the layover hotel.

The next day wife leaves early and I come down to catch the shuttle back to the airport. Back then you had to fly in a coat and tie if you wanted to get a chance at a first class seat. So, I'm wearing a sport coat, tie, and a mini set of NFO wings as a tie tack (the nice set they used to give at winging).

Some d-bag Captain is in the elevator when I get on and calls me out and sort of belligerently asks me what kind of wings I was wearing (kind of flicks my tie). I told him they were a set of Naval Flight Officer wings, and then sarcastically ask him what kind of wings he was wearing on his tie. He tells me I know good and well they are an ALPA pin, and then starts to call me a f-ing scab. At that point I pull out my active duty ID (back when they were color coded), inform him that I am on active duty, have no idea what the heck he's talking about, ask for his name so I can tell his company what a tool he is to the general public, and tell him to go to hell. He sort of apologizes and says "well you look like a scab, wearing that pin." I reply that I'd rather look like a scab than act like a f-ing idiot. Got a giggle out of one of the flight attendants.

Told my wife about it when we link up again and she tells me the non-union guys wear pins that look similar, to try not to take any heat. Used to be a huge deal to forget your pin. Not sure anymore, as I don't think the union has done anyone any huge favors in the past 7 years.

The stories she would come back with during times when she was a 727 FE and had a non-union guy as FO would make your hair stand up when she'd tell me how the Captain would act in the cockpit. Textbook how not to perform crew concept.

^^^^^This is the stuff that worries me about flying for the airlines and being in a union. Is there normally this kind of drama, or was this just a bad period in time?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

Since Boxes don't bitch we don't have much of that drama.... Everybody knows the non-members and if they are like me, carry a list.. We wear Santa ties (during the holidays), American flags, and a few other various and unchallanged sorts but mostly the ugly blue with pin stripe... I have seen a, of course, ALPA pins, many wings (NA & Airforce- Marines wear Navy, cause they work for us), and lots of religious pins and the occasional comany something or another but that is about it...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^^^^This is the stuff that worries me about flying for the airlines and being in a union. Is there normally this kind of drama, or was this just a bad period in time?

I would say A-6's example of the elevator dust-up is the exception and definitely NOT the rule. THAT Capt sounds like a fuck-stick. Believe it or not; not every airline CAPT is a good guy ... :D

But to your concern: not "normally" ... as there aren't too many SCABs floating around these days ... but in the past, if you were a SCAB, stand by for the pain ... I would go so far as to say a similar head-butt moment because of a SCAB being in our midst TODAY is a rarity ....

But SCABs DID bring it upon themselves when they crossed a picket line to take another pilot's -- a brother's -- job ... so no sympathy here ...

One of my airlines was probably the most anti-SCAB airline in the jet age ... and for good reason. The only thing lower than a SCAB is a draft-dodger. They come from the same gene pool ...

But don't worry about it. Just "worry" about getting onboard w/ a good airline, if you want to "worry" about somethin' ... :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

I would say A-6's example of the elevator dust-up is the exception and definitely NOT the rule. THAT Capt sounds like a fuck-stick. Believe it or not; not every airline CAPT is a good guy ... :D

But to your concern: not "normally" ... as there aren't too many SCABs floating around these days ... but in the past, if you were a SCAB, stand by for the pain ... I would go so far as to say a similar head-butt moment because of a SCAB being in our midst TODAY is a rarity ....

But SCABs DID bring it upon themselves when they crossed a picket line to take another pilot's -- a brother's -- job ... so no sympathy here ...

One of my airlines was probably the most anti-SCAB airline in the jet age ... and for good reason. The only thing lower than a SCAB is a draft-dodger. They come from the same gene pool ...

But don't worry about it. Just "worry" about getting onboard w/ a good airline, if you want to "worry" about somethin' ... :)

I thought that you had to be in a union at a union airline (which is almost all of them, I'd guess). Is this a choice at some places? I just figured that it was inevitable. Get the job, join the union, and off you go.

If I wanted to live a life of politics and infighting.......I'd stay in the Marine Corps.:eek::D:eek::D

I thought that the scabs were only around during a strike, and then promptly dumped as part of terms of the eventual reconciliation between the management and the union. Do some of them get to stay on (and get abused by the members).