• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things Baseball

jmcquate

Contributor
I was a life long fan of the only team to lose the World Series in extra innings of a game 7 twice. And after yesterday, they no longer exist. I'm in a special kind of baseball hell.

Randy, I do remember, as it was known in Boston, the Bucky "fucking" Dent moment.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was a life long fan of the only team to lose the World Series in extra innings of a game 7 twice. And after yesterday, they no longer exist. I'm in a special kind of baseball hell.

Randy, I do remember, as it was known in Boston, the Bucky "fucking" Dent moment.
The hell they no longer exist, and they're still my hometown team either way. "Was," my ass. I wasn't gunning for a name change, but I'm not going to let that make me pick up my ball and go home, either.

Pags

N/A
pilot
At what point in a professional adult's life is it acceptable to change your "hometown team of residence?" Once you've left East Podunk and are pretty sure you're never going back when do you switch to the local?

I figure it's once you're stable in a new place and you have kids and you're trying to pass down the game. Then you have to switch to the local so you can the little people out to the ball game for the cracker jacks, etc. Also helps with local broadcasts of more games.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At what point in a professional adult's life is it acceptable to change your "hometown team of residence?" Once you've left East Podunk and are pretty sure you're never going back when do you switch to the local?

I figure it's once you're stable in a new place and you have kids and you're trying to pass down the game. Then you have to switch to the local so you can the little people out to the ball game for the cracker jacks, etc. Also helps with local broadcasts of more games.
I'd buy that. My whole family are Cleveland fans, even though my folks are originally from PA and NJ. Mom and Dad lived in Ohio for 30 years and had me there, and the rest was history. Dad was a Mets fan back in the day, and Mom never cared.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd buy that. My whole family are Cleveland fans, even though my folks are originally from PA and NJ. Mom and Dad lived in Ohio for 30 years and had me there, and the rest was history. Dad was a Mets fan back in the day, and Mom never cared.
Yeah, similar. Dad was a Yanks fan when he was growing up but we all tried hard to be Phils Fans even if the Phils didn't try hard to play baseball. Now I figure the Nats are my team since it's my kids' team.

The South is such a hard place to be a MLB ball fan because you depend on ESPN since there's so few big local teams outside of ATL and TX and Southern FL. In CA and the North East who you root for is a big deal and I never realized how nasty some of the rivalries were until I went to a SF vs LA game. On par with Phils vs Mets.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, similar. Dad was a Yanks fan when he was growing up but we all tried hard to be Phils Fans even if the Phils didn't try hard to play baseball. Now I figure the Nats are my team since it's my kids' team.

The South is such a hard place to be a MLB ball fan because you depend on ESPN since there's so few big local teams outside of ATL and TX and Southern FL. In CA and the North East who you root for is a big deal and I never realized how nasty some of the rivalries were until I went to a SF vs LA game. On par with Phils vs Mets.
The other thing is that the Tribe, for most of my early childhood, sucked out loud, which everyone knows because they made a movie about it. But they also went on an absolute tear in '95 when MLB came out of the strike, which was right after Art Modell (may he rot in hell) punched the entire city in the collective junk starting his little expansion team down south using our players. And they kept on keeping on until I was in college, even though Cleveland's a small market team in a rich man's league. The front office punches way, way above their weight payroll-wise.

That's also one of the reasons it's tough for some fans to deal with the name change thing. The name was a joke for the longest time, then it finally wasn't. A couple of times, we were literally inches away as a city and a fanbase from putting that joke to bed for good. I do wonder if there'd been a title or two attached, whether the whole thing would have gone down a little easier. But then again, the fanbase is as polarized as the rest of the country these days, so maybe not.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The other thing is that the Tribe, for most of my early childhood, sucked out loud, which everyone knows because they made a movie about it. But they also went on an absolute tear in '95 when MLB came out of the strike
I just want to take advantage of this to point out that the Blue Jays were technically World Series champs for three years in a row. (They were sucking pretty bad that third year when the strike stopped everything.)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I just want to take advantage of this to point out that the Blue Jays were technically World Series champs for three years in a row. (They were sucking pretty bad that third year when the strike stopped everything.)
Honestly, that year, another Canadian team was likely to make the WS - the Expos! Expos - Yankees would have been cool and was the expected scenario at the time of strike, IIRC.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Honestly, that year, another Canadian team was likely to make the WS - the Expos! Expos - Yankees would have been cool and was the expected scenario at the time of strike, IIRC.
I saw an Expos game a couple years before that, a home game in the "Big O" (former 1976 Olympic stadium).

I'm pretty sure we saw a pop fly hit the old kevlar roof of that stadium in that game. Earlier in the day the tour guide had made it sound like that was an exceedingly rare event (common question on the tour) like it had only happened a few times ever. I was never sure if the tour guide was just telling us that for the sake of giving an answer or if it was our own wishful thinking that the ball touched the roof- it sure looked like the the ball and its shadow met.

That kevlar roof seemed like a good idea in the 1970s when they made it. There were a bunch of steel cables going every which way on motorized reels and the big overhanging thing could pull it up like a giant tent fly and let in the sunshine and fresh air. Supposedly after they did that a few times they were afraid it would tear, so they just left it on forever after. The building didn't exactly age well, I think a few pieces of concrete fell off the sides sometime in the 1990s, pretty embarrassing for the team and the city.

The fans at that game were amazing! Loud, raucous, having a great time, and drinking a lot of beer.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I saw an Expos game a couple years before that, a home game in the "Big O" (former 1976 Olympic stadium).

I'm pretty sure we saw a pop fly hit the old kevlar roof of that stadium in that game. Earlier in the day the tour guide had made it sound like that was an exceedingly rare event (common question on the tour) like it had only happened a few times ever. I was never sure if the tour guide was just telling us that for the sake of giving an answer or if it was our own wishful thinking that the ball touched the roof- it sure looked like the the ball and its shadow met.

That kevlar roof seemed like a good idea in the 1970s when they made it. There were a bunch of steel cables going every which way on motorized reels and the big overhanging thing could pull it up like a giant tent fly and let in the sunshine and fresh air. Supposedly after they did that a few times they were afraid it would tear, so they just left it on forever after. The building didn't exactly age well, I think a few pieces of concrete fell off the sides sometime in the 1990s, pretty embarrassing for the team and the city.

The fans at that game were amazing! Loud, raucous, having a great time, and drinking a lot of beer.

Ha, believe it or not, my wife and I visited it on part of our honeymoon (she was interested too! And it was near a musuem we visited). It definitely has not aged well, but the whole area has a bit of the nostalgia of what had to have been a cool Olympics. At the time it was being used as some sort of flea market I think. There is talk of moving the Rays to Montreal.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ha, believe it or not, my wife and I visited it on part of our honeymoon (she was interested too! And it was near a musuem we visited). It definitely has not aged well, but the whole area has a bit of the nostalgia of what had to have been a cool Olympics. At the time it was being used as some sort of flea market I think. There is talk of moving the Rays to Montreal.
Isnt one of the buildings an aquarium? I've only been to Montreal once and it was with little kids so i remember the aquarium and crepes. And wishing I could stop at all the bars and steakhouses.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Isnt one of the buildings an aquarium? I've only been to Montreal once and it was with little kids Soni remember the aquarium and crepes. And wishing I could stop at all the bars and steakhouses.

Yeah, I think so. It's been since my honeymoon that we went sto my memory is a little hazy, but we've always wanted to go back. I know in that area we did three things that we found important:
  1. Visited the old Expos Stadium and Olympic Village
  2. Visited the museum we wanted to go to (which, my wife and I recall as a planetarium) although there were other ones right in that area, and;
  3. Visited a locals market (I think honestly may have been geared towards local restaurateurs) and bought many cans of pure grade a, medium amber Maple Syrup. Chef's kiss

jmcquate

Contributor
The hell they no longer exist, and they're still my hometown team either way. "Was," my ass. I wasn't gunning for a name change, but I'm not going to let that make me pick up my ball and go home, either.
I get what your saying nittany, but I'm done. They thought that were on the cutting edge of a wave the pro sport name changes that never happened. I've been here in Arlington for 20 years and have enjoyed following the Nats.

I'm going to miss them. I've been going to every home opener with the same group of guys since 1996 and was every home World Series game in 95' and 97'. But they decided to move on and so did I.