• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am i wasting my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biobod

Ok here is the deal, i have a really low GPA(under 2.5)[V], but got 8's across the board in the ASTV, im in good shpae(85 PU,80 SU, 10:50 run), i have a BS in Land Surveying, prior service in the Army reserve in a technical MOS (31F Electronic Switching Systems Operator Maintainer, with the Signal Corps). I am looking at SWO, Supply Corps and NFO. Some employment experience (not much thanks to our friend in Afganistan) with exellent evaluations in engineering(despite my GPA). So do i have achance...some of you guys have GPA in 3.5 to 4.0...i just wonder if im wasting my time in persuing a commision in the Navy, dont get me wrong i really want this i just want a reality check.
Thanks all.
Biobod [:D]

princessspoilme

I say be brave and just go for what you want. I a sure that there is a way they will take into consideration that you are prior military and werent in school for a while but you did in fact go back. I know that they might want you for the engineering program but just check it out. Dont be a wimp have confidence and say fuck it balls to the wall this is who i am this is what i have accomplished i may not have been perfect in the process but i did survive it.

Sammy

Women will force change upon salty dogs for the good of the fleet.

princessspoilme

I say be brave and just go for what you want. I a sure that there is a way they will take into consideration that you are prior military and werent in school for a while but you did in fact go back. I know that they might want you for the engineering program but just check it out. Dont be a wimp have confidence and say fuck it balls to the wall this is who i am this is what i have accomplished i may not have been perfect in the process but i did survive it.

Sammy

Women will force change upon salty dogs for the good of the fleet.

tali264

I say send in your application. What is the worst that can happen? You get rejected and don't get the job you want. Well that's exactly what's going to happen if you don't apply at all, so why not take a shot??? No harm in trying. Good luck
icon_smile.gif

Hudson

Biobod,
I am prior service as well. My GPA is higher and I have masters work completed but my scores on the ASTB were not as high. I was turned down but I am resubmitting with the Navy after I raise the scores and I am also applying with the Marines as well. The application process is much the same. I belive the Marines are less strict with GPA. Plus as you should know from being in the millitary before, anything is waiverable if they think you will make a good addition. If you got an 8 on the Academic predictor then I think that your GPA is not a true reflection on your abilities. Except that maybe you didn't work hard on your studies. (Sorry Bio I'm a teacher stuff like that slips out every now and then). What ever the situation you have nothing to lose but the chance to succeed.
Good luck
Hudson

ghost_ttu

Bio, how old are you, and is that your cumulative or adjusted gpa? I know this idea completely sucks but is it possible for you to go back and take maybe one or two courses that you didn't do well in? You just need to bring your gpa to a 2.5 because that is the current minimum gpa to apply for SNA.

Biobod

i am 27 and was thinking of taking of going back and taking a few more classes.And yeah it sucks but it is an option...i will submit by October and see how it goes...maybe the ASTB, PRT, prior service and work experience will balance things out.
Hudson no problem friend , i did'nt work real hard at college(my girlfriend reminds me of that every so often hehe) and now i pay for it.

Goliath112

"BS in Land Surveying" wow I didn't know they had degrees for that. Anyway if you want to get in then apply. But if I were you then I might retake a few of the low grades and see how high you can bring it up. ya know one F will bring down your grade around 2 GPA points. like from a 3.0 to a 2.8 and 3 D's will do the same. I had to retake 2 classes. sit down with a academic counselor and see which grade will be better. also apply while you're at this. get the stuff together then re apply. shoot under 2.5? i just reread the post. look man retake many of the low grade classes. good luck man. keep the forum informed.

man the wait is killing me

ghost_ttu

Bio, I'm going to shoot you as straight as possible. I have a 2.57 and my recruiter (and this guy is an aviator and shoots pretty straight) said without my flight experience (private, instrument) that I wouldn't have a chance in hell. They WANT a 3.2 gpa, they will look at a 2.5 with flight experience. So your previous military will probably help you, but my guess is that you need to bring up to atleast a 2.5, and if you have the time and money it will only take you a couple months to get your private pilot license and that would help you a lot.

Biobod

Thanks a lot people...i dont know how it works when it comes to repeating classes after finishing(been two and a half years) but its worht looking into it. Like i said i will submit in October and see how it goes but will also see how i can work the GPA thingy.

Goliath112, man there are very few people with a BS in Land Surveying, most people will go for Civil Engineering. Here in Florida i think its like 30 to 40 a year that graduate from this particular field and in Puerto Rico (thats where i am from)about 50 a year(in a good year).Its one of those obscure Bachelor's degrees.

grouch

Biobod, If you have work experience in land surveying try to take that to the dean for a gpa adjustment. Tell him what you are trying to do, get letters of recomendation from your boss and coworkers, write a thesis and maybee they will change a grade for you. Just a thought.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey Ghost,

I got the same GPA and I have flight hours but no privates. Will that still help? I'm applying for both Pilot and NFO. ALso I read about the phone call on one of the other posts .... GOOD LUCK!

Peace,

-Spin

ghost_ttu

If you really want the pilot slot and you have a gpa like mine you might want to take a month and get your private and it might give you a chance. I'll let you know in a couple weeks if that is a true statement....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

WFU2USN

Biobod,

You never will know if you don't just go for it!!! At worse, they say, "No." and you re-submit!. My GPA wasn't stellar, but I had prior service, etc. and was accepted.....so you never know.

IS2(SCW)

Status
Not open for further replies.