• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An Aspiring Pilot

Jonder

Hello,

Well, I have recently done a pretty massive amount of research on the subject on becoming a pilot. I haven't decided if I would rather like to fly helos or jets yet, but I am almost 80% positive that I would like to fly in the Navy.

Some information about me thus far, I am a sophomore in High School and I was thinking what I should try to now focus to do with my life. I couldn't get away from my joy of flying and my past experience with it, so I decided to do a few google searches bringing me to this forum, where I have been trying to get the most information of the process as I could. I do very well in school and do limited amounts of extra activities, which I have been striving to fix as of recently.

Anyway, to my questions:

1.) Is it better to go through the USNA or the NROTC?

2.) What is some advice for getting leadership experience outside of school clubs and school teams? (The reason I ask this is because I have noticed that many describe the selection process to be very competitive and I worry that I might not make it.)

3.) For the above methods I have chosen to pursue, USNA and NROTC, what tends to be at least to minimum to achieve to use that as a basis of where I stand at the moment? (Basically in what ways are they competitive.)

4.) Does anyone else have any more advice that feel could be helpful, like is their an easier way then USNA and or NROTC?

Basically I have just been worried about my chances to reaching my dream and these have been the main questions that I have had on my mind. I know I am still 2-3 years off until I will probably have to be worried about this, but I am just trying to set myself up for success now, never to early to start prepping. I am very grateful for the help that this forum has provided thus far, especially the stickies. I will like to thank anyone in advance as well for there advice and support.

Much Thanks,

Andrew

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to the board. It's great to see that you are thinking about your future.
1.) Is it better to go through the USNA or the NROTC?
This has been debated ad nauseum on this site. Do a search for it. The bottom line is that they both have their pluses and minuses.

2.) What is some advice for getting leadership experience outside of school clubs and school teams? (The reason I ask this is because I have noticed that many describe the selection process to be very competitive and I worry that I might not make it.)
Again there is a lot to find through the search function. However, I'm not sure leadership outside of school activities is necessary. Being a club president or student body president may suffice. No matter what you do pick one or two activities and pursue them as far as you can.

3.) For the above methods I have chosen to pursue, USNA and NROTC, what tends to be at least to minimum to achieve to use that as a basis of where I stand at the moment? (Basically in what ways are they competitive.)
I am not sure what you saying. Don't worry about the minimum just do they best you can do.

4.) Does anyone else have any more advice that feel could be helpful, like is their an easier way then USNA and or NROTC?
Easier? You're not going to find any "easier" ways around here. If you want to become a Naval Aviator you will need to work your butt off. I suppose though I could send you a set of wings and be done with it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's never too early. Out of curiosity, what's holding you up on the other 20%? Is the other 20% directed toward another service or a civilian flying job? There's no wrong choice, but maybe there's some questions we can direct you to to swing that percentage one way or the other.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Ditto that BDCP is THE best program out there. Period.

2nd... don't worry about jets vs helos... the Navy will decide that one for ya (not really, but sort of).

3rd... work your a$$ off, stay focused, and good luck!

Jonder

Thanks for all the quick replies. To clarify, I might just be a little paranoid about my chances so I am probably over thinking things. Just a quick question about the BDCP program. I have been finding limited information about it, but from what I understand so far is that I would ignore USNA and NROTC and during university I would apply for it. However, what if I am not selected? It sounds more like a back-up plan than what I would first try. Again, thanks for the advice it means the world to me that I can have this resource to refer to.

To answer a few questions:

It's never too early. Out of curiosity, what's holding you up on the other 20%? Is the other 20% directed toward another service or a civilian flying job? There's no wrong choice, but maybe there's some questions we can direct you to to swing that percentage one way or the other.

It is mainly from my uncertainty if I want to fly jets or helos. I just don't know if one would be more specialized in one or the other. I will say that jets are the first spark of interested and in the future I would probably look more into them.

I am not sure what you saying. Don't worry about the minimum just do they best you can do.

Easier? You're not going to find any "easier" ways around here. If you want to become a Naval Aviator you will need to work your butt off. I suppose though I could send you a set of wings and be done with it.
First, I am probably just over thinking things.

Second, I should have used different words. Rather than easier, what gives me the best chance to get what I want without being cut. Other than that I have to just try my best that I could do.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Getting BDCP is no more difficult (relatively speaking) than getting selected for NROTC or the academy (some would argue it's easier), yet with BDCP you are GUARANTEED a pilot slot if accepted whereas in the other programs you apply for it after you are obligated. You do nothing except stay in shape, keep your grades up and keep in contact with your recruiter a few times a month. No uniforms, no haircuts, earrings if you want (I had em :)). And best of all you get paid E-3 (for me, it worked out to 2300 a month!) to do less than a ROTC student! Think about it if you want, but from my perspective it didn't take a genius to figure it out...

Creatre

BDCP Hopeful
I would also recommend BDCP if you're really interested in Naval Aviation. I'm about to start the process here in about 6 months, well technically already with training for PRT, but it really is a win-win situation if you set your mind to it to get accepted. Like bogey spotter said, it's much nicer than ROTC because you get to relax in college, and you can prepare yourself for the many years to come that you will be serving your country. However, that course may not be for you, and you might need the direction and steering that you're given through NROTC. The academy is probably the hardest to go through, however if you have the stats and can get accepted, definitely go for it, as it will probably be the most rewarding. Academy life I hear is really difficult though and you have to be really prepared for it, so my suggestion is that here in the next year you make out a list of Pro's and Con's for all the different routes you can go. From there you should be able to see which way you want to go, and set your mind to it so that you can't fail. If you decide to go the BDCP route feel free to message me any questions, because like I said earlier, I'm about to embark on trying to get accepted that route, so I would be a great source of information for you since you would be at least 2 or 3 years behind me in the process. Good luck to your decisions as well; your future is in your hands, not your family, not your friends, so don't let them talk you out of military life if that's what you really want to do. :)

Creatre

BDCP Hopeful
Thanks for all the quick replies. To clarify, I might just be a little paranoid about my chances so I am probably over thinking things. Just a quick question about the BDCP program. I have been finding limited information about it, but from what I understand so far is that I would ignore USNA and NROTC and during university I would apply for it. However, what if I am not selected? It sounds more like a back-up plan than what I would first try.

My suggestion is read almost every single post under the BDCP section of the forums, make sure that you expand the pages so that you can see every single thread since the beginning. It will greatly enhance your knowledge base. Roughly, it's normally a backup plan for those who were not accepted for NROTC or the Academy, however there are other benefits to the program. I said a couple of them in my last post, and you should be able to find some other pro's and con's reading through the different threads and different people's life stories and how they used BDCP. If you can originally get into NROTC or the Academy you shouldn't have much trouble as long as you keep maturing as you get to college, and don't get DUI's, and don't fail out because you partied too much. Also, if you don't have a technical major, you wouldn't be applying for 2 years, plus you have to wait to get accepted, and then there is that risk that you could be denied for NA, so that could be a con versus the NROTC scholorships. Hope that helps some.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Welcome and good intro IMO. I was in your shoes years ago (85-86 was my sophmore year in HS) but didn't have the net or sites like this. I ended up going NROTC, college program then picked up a 2-year scholarship. Picked up aviation, went to flight school, etc. So I'll add just do some research, ask questions and hopefully you'll pick the right program for you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ditto that BDCP is THE best program out there. Period.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: there is no "best" program. BDCP might have been the best choice/option for the above posters, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. I'm not trying to make this a "my commissioning source is better" thread. Just do your research and find the best fit for you.

FWIW, BDCP would have been a great opportunity (they didn't have it when I went through), but in hindsight, I don't think it would have been the best choice for me and I'm glad I went the route I did (no matter how circuitous).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: there is no "best" program. BDCP might have been the best choice/option for the above posters, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. I'm not trying to make this a "my commissioning source is better" thread. Just do your research and find the best fit for you.

FWIW, BDCP would have been a great opportunity (they didn't have it when I went through), but in hindsight, I don't think it would have been the best choice for me and I'm glad I went the route I did (no matter how circuitous).

This is certainly true for some folks who could make it through one source but not another. I can tell you right now there are ROTC folks who would NOT make it through OCS. Likewise, I don't think I could make it through the academy. There are programs for different people. It is all about what is best for the individual.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
the Navy will decide that one for ya (not really, but sort of).

What do you mean not really....:D They do...It's big Navy's airplanes...and they tell us who flies what. No ifs, ands or buts.

To the OP...sounds like you are really thinking...that is the best first step there is. Good luck...lots of good advice out there.

staff03

I'm also considering BDCP, but after this semester I'll only have one year left in school. Is it too late to even worry about trying to get into it?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is certainly true for some folks who could make it through one source but not another. I can tell you right now there are ROTC folks who would NOT make it through OCS. Likewise, I don't think I could make it through the academy. There are programs for different people. It is all about what is best for the individual.

Why would an ROTC mid not make it through OCS?