• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An obscure, scary mishap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While the viper debate rages...I thought about this mishap. I had the opportunity to read the entire report last year, actually TYPED out (early 80's). Worth a read.

http://www.centerseat.net/crash.htm

and yeah, the P-3 in the pic is missing a vert stab

Attachments

• PAGO4a.jpg
    PAGO4a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 435

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a lot as far as what really happened there though. Here's what I remember from the report:

These guys went in to do a paradrop for a festival in Pago Pago. The did the drop and then requested a low pass over a bay before leaving the show. They did brief the fact that there was a tram wire across the bay, the exact height of which I can't remember...anyway...they were obviously below it, and clipped it. The tram wire then wrapped around the #4 (i think) prop shaft, (later counted to be 14 times around) and FOD'ed out the engine. Loss of vert stab + instantaneous loss of #4. No survivors.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i may have heard about this, i might be wrong about the exact crash, but was the pilot found to have been taking his family up in the P-3 without permission for a while before the accident and everyone kept their mouth shut because he was such an "awesome" guy? Sounds familiar with the parachutists and the wire cutting.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, after his funeral his skipper met the PPC's dad. Dad said that the best time of his life was flying in a P-3 with his son. Skipper obviously was suprised. Apparently the guy was a hard-charger, head of Pilot Natops, IP, etc. But away from home he did some "questionable" things. Supposedly liked departing airfields by getting to rotation airpseed and then rasing the gear, prior to pulling up for climbout. Also rumoured to be a fan of the 60 degree nose up departure. 5-7 degrees is recommended...

FlyingDoc

HOLY MOLY! Is it SOP to put on your parachutes in the event of an emergency? Are the parachutes uncomfortable? Why not wear them the whole time?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy, the PPC, came to PCOLA during a safety stand down and talked about this accident. They said they were dealing with like 10 EP's at once. Wow...talk about helmet fire. He said something about placing his feet on the instrument panel to try to pull the yoke free. Amazing story!
ea6bflyr
zab1001 said:
this is another bad one...but they all lived

http://www.centerseat.net/vp47crash.htm

fixed

TANGO 1

Contributor
This is not an aviation mishap

Did you guys hear about a Marine Corp Major that took an F/18 from Beaufort and went to his hometown in Albama to do an Airshow. He flew over his mum's house so low that car alarms were blowing off and windows in the homes around were breaking. Finally the incident was reported to the FAA and then the Commandant asked the Marine Corp to look into it, and offcourse somebody got his Buno number too.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
That VP47 story was amazing. They had some of the best and worst luck in one day. I can't believe that it took 4 radios before one of them worked, welcome to the Govt.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The original mishap which killed the P-3 crew was aircrew error, blamed on the aircraft commander. The pilot was flathatting. He had also consumed heavy amounts of alcohol within 12 hours of flying and had very little rest. This pilot had been known to be a problem child with his care free attitude. On several occasions he flathatted and was considered to be a frustrated fighter pilot. He was overheard on several occasions that if it wasn't for his wife, he would be flying fighters and flying the P-3 was only a hobby to him. He was also a short timer with less than 6 weeks left before resigning.

This was a study case for aircrew coordination by the way. Worst part is the crew put their faith and confidence in this aircraft commander to lead and fly them safely. Unfortunetly, their loyalty and trust in him were misplaced.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
TANGO 1 said:
This is not an aviation mishap

Did you guys hear about a Marine Corp Major that took an F/18 from Beaufort and went to his hometown in Albama to do an Airshow. He flew over his mum's house so low that car alarms were blowing off and windows in the homes around were breaking. Finally the incident was reported to the FAA and then the Commandant asked the Marine Corp to look into it, and offcourse somebody got his Buno number too.

Thread-jack (v): 1) To post unrelated or irrelevant information in thread. 2) To show one's lack of intellect or understanding of a conversation. 3) To not read the content of a thread prior to vomitting "I once heard" strories that are not pertinent to the topic at hand.

also see: annoying

Back to the point at hand. It is absolutly amazing that the crew survived! I can not even imagine the pucker factor going on in that cockpit.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as parachutes...it is not standard practice to don chutes for every emergency. Generally, a ditch is always preferred, if able, to a bail out. Realize there has never been an emergency bailout of a P-3. The chutes are extremely cumbersome and most P-3 missions require the crew to be able to move around the tube quickly and easily. Add ambient heat down low, plus SV2s, and you have a recipe for heat exhaustion. Bailout is only considered an option when there is no other recourse, i.e. a fire that will not go out. I think the time req from calling "Bailout" to first man out the door is supposed to be 2 minutes...but my memory is full of spanish grammar right now...

Leaving the aircraft is the ultimate option, but with 4 engines and the reduntant systems, it isn't really seen as a choice in most cases. My old Skipper used to do bailout drills on PPC checkrides, where he would just continue to pile emergencies on, until you had no choice to bail out. This required some thought, since there is no EP that ends with BAILOUT. It's the PPC's call, and a good way to evaluate someone's thought process and familiarity with NATOPS. Bail out requires the PPC to get his chute and helmet on, then have the entire crew jump, leaving him alone, to trim up the plane, stablize, and then sprint to the aft main cabin door in an attempt to exit. Who says Navy guys don't have to run fast?

There HAVE been ditches. I HIGHLY recommend the book "Adak", true story about a crew that had to ditch in the sea near Alaska. Not everyone lived in that one. F#cking scary.

cooley4277

Has anyone read 'Adak' besides Zab? I got it recently and almost read the whole thing in a day (turn pilot is great). As an upgrading P-3 pilot, I also recommend it. Gives you a lot of perspective on some of the procedures you practice every time you fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.