• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the bids are in.....

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... JSF will be everyone's darling.
... that isn't eliminating pilots by introducing UCAVS; it's substantially reducing the maintainer side of the equation ...

JSF, gosh I hope so, wish it well, however since I am SO old I remember all those similar !projects!.

Agree 100%. I even remember McNamara's CVS, was actually on the Intrepid on YS.

But I never served on a BB.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
does anyone else think the pictures look slightly photoshopped?
Duh-Idiot.jpg

I keed ... kinda....

sundevil_av8r

pilot
that is the ugliest thing i have ever seen... mainly because their is no canopy where you can see a human sitting inside.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What ever happened to the Monitor type battleship that was supposed to use railguns as it's main armament?

Big blue water fleet battles aren't exactly in style these days. Naval gunfire probably doesn't figure prominently in many future warfighting plans.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What ever happened to the Monitor type battleship that was supposed to use railguns as it's main armament?

Once upon a time (under the now departed Admiral Boorda), there was "Arsenal Ship", not a Battleship, but a floating arsenal with minimal crew and maximum firepower. It gave way after the unfortunate demise of Admiral Boorda during his tenure as CNO to DDX (now DDG 1000), an advanced design that you may be thinking of that features two advanced technology guns (though not railguns as technology wasn't mature enough). THe DDX design concept is founded upon providing Naval Surface Fire Support (NSFS) to Marines and those guns fire rounds that go a long way inland and act like little guided missiles (can shape their trajectory impressively).

DDG1000_1text.jpg

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Once upon a time (under the now departed Admiral Boorda), there was "Arsenal Ship", not a Battleship, but a floating arsenal with minimal crew and maximum firepower. It gave way after the unfortunate demise of Admiral Boorda during his tenure as CNO to DDX (now DDG 1000), an advanced design that you may be thinking of that features two advanced technology guns (though not railguns as technology wasn't mature enough). THe DDX design concept is founded upon providing Naval Surface Fire Support (NSFS) to Marines and those guns fire rounds that go a long way inland and act like little guided missiles (can shape their trajectory impressively).

That's the one I was thinking about. Thanks.