• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Animals Doing Human Things

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
HS-14's callsign is "Lightning", which could cause confusion on one carrier. I know it bugged me for my first few months at Pax hearing the F-35 use it on the radio. I guess Ultra High Profile programs can just call themselves whatever they want.

Edit: shouldn't the F-35 get an animal nickname like most aircraft?

FIFY :D

Aren't animal nicknames considered no longer PC or some bullshit like that? Or maybe it was just patches with humanized animals... I can't keep up with who is getting offended by what lately.

Pags

N/A
pilot
FIFY :D

Aren't animal nicknames considered no longer PC or some bullshit like that? Or maybe it was just patches with humanized animals... I can't keep up with who is getting offended by what lately.
I know humanized animals are a no-no on patches. Not sure if that would apply to centaurs and satyrs.

Renegade One

None
I know humanized animals are a no-no on patches. Not sure if that would apply to centaurs and satyrs.

What a crock…
anytime.jpg
200px-Fe.png
vf-191.jpg
vf211_insig.jpg

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno. The instruction for patch approval says no animals doing people things. I can only guess it's because people who write OPNAV instructions hate fun.
No shit? Why? How can anyone possibly be offended by that? Coincidentally, just yesterday came across my "Death of Naval Aviation" coffin patch.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Say, this is an interesting question! Could we split the thread off? I know that my alma mater had to change their patch back in the day, ostensibly because the idea that a tiger would grab a submarine with its hind paws is very unlikely. Obviously someone doesn't understand METAPHORS. The new patch was, creatively, the then-logo of the LSU Tigers flipped on the vertical axis.

Attachments

• HSL43 old.jpg
    HSL43 old.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 36
  • HSL43 new.jpg
    HSL43 new.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 35

danpass

Since it doesn't have one yet I'd be happy to write it up with an animal name.

I've been on wiki quite a bit the last few days looking up apex predators. I had Lynx (such as 'links') for about 10 seconds and then remembered it was a Brit helo.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno. The instruction for patch approval says no animals doing people things. I can only guess it's because people who write OPNAV instructions hate fun.

Can you post it?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also intrigued by this. Because off the top of my head VP-5 and VP-9 would have to change their patches if that were the case.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Can you post it?
Also intrigued by this. Because off the top of my head VP-5 and VP-9 would have to change their patches if that were the case.
You guys forget how to search the internet for instructions?

According to Google it's OPNAV 5030.4G. The bit about no cartoons, unnatural acts, etc is in Enclosure 3.

I'm guessing historical patches that predate this instruction are grandfathered.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys forget how to search the internet for instructions?

Too lazy.

I'm guessing historical patches that predate this instruction are grandfathered.

Yeah, way too much history that would affect.

I am still a little puzzled as to why they have the rule, especially when there is a long tradition to it, as long as we have had unit patches/insignia, and I haven't seen anything particularly bad result from the depictions.