• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another Wacky Ebay Auction...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
So do you think this would be easier to maintain than a T-28?:D
I am type rated in it. I do not know about the maintenance involved in a T-28 but an L-29 costs about 5K a year and the oil changes are easy. Refilling the nitrogen for the brakes is the biggest pain in the a$$. Engines can be sold to a snow blower company for $2500 after TBO and you can get one For $5-8K

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Fuel burn?... You'd probably be saving up all year to fly it once or twice... I met a guy one time at Easton airport in MD that had two L-39's and 3 mig-23's. His reason for not flying the migs?... He couldn't afford the gas. And that was back when Jet-A was less than $2 a gallon...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Fuel burn?... You'd probably be saving up all year to fly it once or twice... I met a guy one time at Easton airport in MD that had two L-39's and 3 mig-23's. His reason for not flying the migs?... He couldn't afford the gas. And that was back when Jet-A was less than $2 a gallon...

Count on 180 gph...he says 150 but that is once you get her up to altitude, she is a pig in the climb.

PS-The guage is in Liters~!!!!!!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
doesnt really surprise me. At the airport I learned to fly at, there was a guy who rebuilt and sold old Fouga jets. Some of them were in worse condition then that one.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I am type rated in it. I do not know about the maintenance involved in a T-28 but an L-29 costs about 5K a year and the oil changes are easy.

Reeeeealy. The plot thickens. :D

When you say climbs like a pig...

I'd love a quick "how's she go" story.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
When I saw these guys a few weeks back, I figured it had to be an astronomical cost to fly and maintain these private jets...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Ummm...yeah...F-104...I don't know that I'd even really call that an airplane. More like a big ass motor with a seat.:D:)

Those "wings" are about the size of a C-12 Horiz stab.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ummm...yeah...F-104...I don't know that I'd even really call that an airplane. More like a big ass motor with a seat.:D:)

Those "wings" are about the size of a C-12 Horiz stab.

Had a Skipper who had some time in a 2-seat on courtesy of USAF TPS. Said is was incredible and the only jet he's ever flown that you had trim for torque. Also said at 300 kts you were out of airspeed and ideas.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Had a Skipper who had some time in a 2-seat on courtesy of USAF TPS. Said is was incredible and the only jet he's ever flown that you had trim for torque. Also said at 300 kts you were out of airspeed and ideas.

I think the turn radius was slightly smaller than the Nimitz's, and it looked like that if you got < 500 kias in a fight with that thing, you would be toast. But Kelly Johnson still won the Collier trophy for it and the ghostly howl of that J-79 is pretty awesome. Actually, to correct myself, I think that characteristic "howl" is not from the motor, but rather from the tiny little fixed geometry intakes that a whole lot of air mass is trying to get in to....similiar to a legacy hornet I guess.

NYCJetCharter

IIRC, I think later 104s had standard upward-firing seats. I think they replaced the downward-firing ones after several deaths involving attempts to escape at low altitude. Must've been a bit tense at low altitude with one engine, those tiny "wings", and a downward-firing seat...