• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another Wacky Ebay Auction...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I could write up 10 MAF's just looking at that thumbnail picture. That bird is a 12C nightmare! I would also look for hyd line chafing.
I think he would take $15K for it. If you can afford to fly it, then you can afford to pony up $55K for a turn key, no gripes L-29. I wouldn't touch this one. (or be the first person to test fly it after restoration):D

MasterBates

A RAG IP back in Mayport had one, and would take people up for the cost of gas IIRC, but the price of gas, even back in 03 was scary high per hour.

They are cheap and easy to maintain by jet standards, but the T-28 sips gas in comparison to that.

Heck, even a T-34C would $150ish an hour just for JP now. (250pph ~= 37gph)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
More like 300+ PPH ~ 43 GPH, which at about $6+/gal is in excess of $250/hour. It's probably moot if you have the cash to maintain it, but seems like GA is going to take a hit for some time.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
More like 300+ PPH ~ 43 GPH, which at about $6+/gal is in excess of $250/hour. It's probably moot if you have the cash to maintain it, but seems like GA is going to take a hit for some time.

6$ a gallon is about a dollar a gallon high for Jet A...Craig is 5.28 and its one of the more expensive for a few hund-o airmiles...fuel in St. Augustine this weekend was 3.65...there was a line on the ramp!

Agree on the rest though...the wife and I were seriously thinking about an airplane purchase...definite second thoughts here lately.

MasterBates

The jet would be uber-cool, but the fuel cost unless you were using it to make moolah on the side (instructing, rides, what have you) would kill an average JO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
6$ a gallon is about a dollar a gallon high for Jet A...Craig is 5.28 and its one of the more expensive for a few hund-o airmiles...fuel in St. Augustine this weekend was 3.65...there was a line on the ramp!

Agree on the rest though...the wife and I were seriously thinking about an airplane purchase...definite second thoughts here lately.

Okay, you got me. It's only a mere $215/hour. I haven't been flying in a few weeks, so my gas price info is old. The last amount I saw was about $5/gal at PIE and TLH. I figured since regular auto fuel has gone up at least $.50 since then, Jet A might have, as well.

But yeah, I think we're all on the same page.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Whats the burn on an L-39? Anyone?

From what I've seen paying $3.65 or anywhere close to it would be a little unrealistic. I've been at the FBO in Destin several times when they are calling around to get fuel prices for their clients and anything in the $4 range seems like a bargain... Contract fuel aside...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Whats the burn on an L-39? Anyone?

From what I've seen paying $3.65 or anywhere close to it would be a little unrealistic. I've been at the FBO in Destin several times when they are calling around to get fuel prices for their clients and anything in the $4 range seems like a bargain... Contract fuel aside...

Agree...3.65 was ridiculous and you would be a fool to plan for it. Just pointing out that those deals are out there. 4.50 is a reasonable planning number at the moment however...Yeah...you'll pay more some places and less some place....Round up to 5 to make the math easy and buy oil.:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am type rated in it.
I thought you got a Letter of Authorization (LOA) for ex mil experimental and restricted aircraft. Did they change something? After all, you can't get a type rating in a T-45. I thought it was just FAA authorization to fly it, not a real Type Rating.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I thought you got a Letter of Authorization (LOA) for ex mil experimental and restricted aircraft. Did they change something? After all, you can't get a type rating in a T-45. I thought it was just FAA authorization to fly it, not a real Type Rating.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AN AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZATION AND A TYPE
RATING.​
A type rating is required to operate a large, turbojet powered, or other aircraft as
required by the aircraft type certification process. An aircraft authorization is required for the
operation of large, turbojet powered, or other aircraft certificated in the experimental category
for the purpose of exhibition.

To keep it simple, we call it a "type rating". The checkride is to the same standards a type would be given to except the aircraft category is "experimental". They stopped LOA's back in 2005 and changed it to an Experimental Aircraft Authorization. I am wondering what the process for getting the T-45 added to your license would be as apparently someone here in Meridian will be doing FCF's after retirement.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AN AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZATION AND A TYPE
RATING.​
A type rating is required to operate a large, turbojet powered, or other aircraft as
required by the aircraft type certification process. An aircraft authorization is required for the
operation of large, turbojet powered, or other aircraft certificated in the experimental category
for the purpose of exhibition.

To keep it simple, we call it a "type rating". The checkride is to the same standards a type would be given to except the aircraft category is "experimental". They stopped LOA's back in 2005 and changed it to an Experimental Aircraft Authorization. I am wondering what the process for getting the T-45 added to your license would be as apparently someone here in Meridian will be doing FCF's after retirement.

Thanks for the update. I guess I was half wrong in any case. I don't know about the retired case you mention, but a type rating should not be required for "public use aircraft", generally governmental organizations like law enforcment, the Forest Service, fire department and military. That includes the former military aircraft operated by the local police department that don't even have an airworthiness certificate. Technically, the pilot of a former military aircraft in "public use" does not even need a FAA license. As I recall the contract pilots that flew the T-39s at VT-86 in the 80s didn't have type ratings because they were pubic use. They simply got a NATOPS check.