• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI's Funerals

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/soldier_funeral_protests

By BETH RUCKER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 50 minutes ago

Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."

"But for them to come during the worst time for this family — it's just wrong."

Wow. These people have gone beyong crossing the line.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Wow. These people have gone beyong crossing the line.

Have they? I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

Don't they have every right to protest. They had legal demonstration permits.

Their choice of a forum for their protest is up to them.

So it happens to be outside a service member's funeral.

It was legal, albeit perhaps in poor taste, depending upon your views, but within the law.

DanMav1156, Tell me what you think and why this is so wrong? What is the "Line" they crossed?

r/
G

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I absolutely agree with you that it is perfectly legal. And I appreciate you playing devil's advocate. But yes, I believe that protesting at a GI's funeral is in extremely poor taste. What is the purpose of a protest of this nature? It seems that they want to expel gays from the United States. Could a better forum not be found? In a time of grieving and mourn, would you want to hear the chant of protesters, screaming your son/daughter/father/mother/relative/friend etc, was killed because our country even allows gays?

Granted, we do not know the whole story behind this. I doubt that the town would have issued the permits had they known that the funerals were taking place. Also, by specifically saying "hate" in reference to a particular group (in this case, "fags") in the protests, doesn't that qualify them no longer as non-violent protest?

I agree with you that from what is read here, it is legal, but they have crossed a line of societal standard in my opinion. I think it is in just poor taste, as you stated. I hope you are not offended by my saying they crossed the line.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not offended at all.

Not a very tolerant "Church" are they?

r/
G

UMichfly

pilot
None
dThese people have a history of doing some pretty offensive things in the name of their cause. If you want to know more about what kind of people they are, you might want to check out a few of their websites.

edit: links removed. if you're that interested, use google.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm with Dan on this one...

Legal or not, it was definitely in poor taste. I don't have a problem with people being against the war or not linking the President... its a free country. However, there are ways to go about demonstrating agaisnt.

Those church members are entitled to their beliefs, but the do need to learn a bit more decorum in expressing them.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish you hadn't posted their websites.

With the current moderator bashing going on...Hmmmm, should I remove the hate filled links or not?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Except to demonstrate what kind of idiots they are with their own literature... it's a two sided coin, isn't it?

Aeolos

It is not allowable to take photographs of caskets when they return from the war (out of respect of the families). Just as that rule was passed they should prohibit protesting of any kind, any "side" at a funeral of a combat death. A funeral is for family and friends to honor tribute and respect the departed. It should not be used as a platform for anyone trying to prove a point. I do not advocate the reduction of constitutional freedoms, however logically there is a time and a place for everyone to express their views. It is an obligation of this country to respect those that die to protect it.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
everyone seemed to agree that the lt. governor from pennyslavnia who showed up at the soldier's funeral saying the government was against war was wrong; why is this more acceptable to some of you?

Country Boy

Proud Father
A group recently did something like that in the southwestern Georgia/eastern Alabama region. Personally, I thought it was disgusting :icon_rage The local news gave them about 20 seconds on the 11:00 news and the city made sure they had protection and got out of there quickly as soon as their half-hour was up. That goes to show that it is legal (not necessarily right morally) and is a prime example of what those brave soldiers fought and died to protect, the freedom of speech.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bennett, whom do you refer to when you ask "why is this more acceptable to some of you"?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
do i have to name names?? you know who you are :p (schnuggapup, although he did say he was playing "devil's advocate")