• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any MIDN with pilot licenses out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taildragger

API-bound!
How many of yall have your pilot's license? I've got my private and have about 250 hrs right now, and I'm working on my instrument rating. I'd say there are only like 3 guys in my NROTC unit who have their private, but only one other guy and myself actively fly.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't have my license, but I'd say out of my class (28 people), 5 have their pilots license. I know 2 actively fly because they are flight majors.

3wire

I working towards mine. I only have 15 hours so far (due to delays with switching flight instructors when I moved), but I'm flying twice a week and loving it. I know conclusively of only one person in my unit having their license, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more.

Av8or72Dan

I'm a 2/C MIDN and I also have my Private. My major is Flight Edu at Hampton U. I was lucky enough to get the 2 year scholarship so all of the rest of my general aviation flight training is free. I would suggest doing the same if you can.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
I have my Private and Instrument Raitings, and about 150 hours of flight time. The only time a Private cert. will help is mostly in API and Primary for those monkey skills and ground knowledge. But, the Instrument will come in handy the most, cause a VOR is VOR and an ILS is an ILS (although the military uses higher nav frequencies). There is about two of us APRIL05 Grads with cert. and three or so from DEC04 who got orders to report to Pensacola in May and June. Good luck to all those flying and stay away from flying through the red clouds on the weather radar.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ACurry said:
But, the Instrument will come in handy the most, cause a VOR is VOR and an ILS is an ILS (although the military uses higher nav frequencies).

About the only thing we do differently than civilian nav is use Tacan Stations. (essentially a VOR/DME on one channel) Our ILS's and VOR's are the same freq's the civilians use....at least for the a/c that have ILS. The 'higher freqs' you might be thinking of are the UHF radio freqs we utilize.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
uh.....
108-118 sounds right...
i dont remember that crap from API. if its on a chart, I tune the freq I need. :)

and tacans are all channelized like 87X, 125X, 63X, 54Y.... like that... you don't tune them by their frequencies.

Crowbar

None
Right, right, all the channels, X & Y, 63 channels apart for air to air. 500 watts minimum transmit power, +/-3 degrees accuracy, ID tone check.......guess I did retain something from all those years of working on them. Of course, those are ARN-118 specs. The old ARN-52's and -105's would transmit upwards of 2000W....after you let the tubes warm up for half an hour....

Taildragger

API-bound!
Anybody have any tailwheel time? The pic I have on here is of my 1952 Cessna 170B, the plane I learned to fly in, soloed in, and got my private in. I'm also checked out in our family 1942 Meyers OTW open-cockpit biplane. Flying tailwheel is a blast, about 97% of my flight time is all taildragger. If you're looking for a challenge and something that is rare, rewarding, and an abasolute blast, go out to the airport and get a tailwheel endorsement in a Piper Cub or something. One you go taildragger, you'll never go back.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
And, for bonus money, can anyone tell how to find out the paired frequency on a VORTAC for a given TACAN channel?

Example-- quick, a VORTAC is 54X-- what's the VOR freq? ;)

I have a pilot license, but I'm in AFROTC. It was a huge benefit for the pilot section of the Air Force Officer's Qualifying Test, and if you have a pilot license then the cadre tends to think you're more motivated, which boosts your commander's rating.

Also, chicks dig pilots.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fip

F(light) I(ndoctrination) P(rogram).....compliments of NROTC. Does it still exist??? It is/was a great deal.........

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
And, for bonus money, can anyone tell how to find out the paired frequency on a VORTAC for a given TACAN channel?

Example-- quick, a VORTAC is 54X-- what's the VOR freq? ;)
I tell the nav to look it up, I am busy flying the plane and computing per diem to see how much I can afford to drink at the bar that night. When the nav comes back to ask me how to find that info, I tell him FIH section D-16, under Frequency Pairing Plan. In this case, 111.90.

But, as we all know, the TACAN ALWAYS works in the P3.

PPC over PA "IFT to the flight station, TACAN doesn't work"

IFT "Sir, you had upper antenna selected"

PPC "Doh. No, still doesn't work"

IFT "One sec sir, turn it off, I will be right back"

Loud banging noise from the tube.

IFT "Try it now sir"

PPC "Damn, works great, thanks! What did you do?"

IFT "Don't ask sir"

Status
Not open for further replies.