• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for NROTC 4-yr scholarship 2009

MrFreakinKite

I turned in my application early November, but I still haven't heard anything back. The guy from the local NROTC scholarship office said I should hear something late December. My application looks something like:

HS GPA: 3.75
SAT score: 1250 (650 math 600 reading) Also, the website doesn't show my updated scores, but when I called a lady said she had it on file. Does the selection board then have it?
Currently interning at NASA, also worked my junior year (currently a senior if you didn't put that together)
President/Founder of Clear Creek Aviation Club
Boxing/kickboxing for sophomore and junior years
Member of CAP for about a year
Intended major: Mechanical Engineering

I also think I wrote a pretty good essay. The guy at the scholarship office said "btw nice essays" when he told me he got my application.

Am I looking good?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Your application looks very good to me, especially the extracurriculars. To echo CWJones, though, I wouldn't count on finding out that early. I wasn't informed that I got the scholarship until mid May....made for a pretty suspenseful few months, wondering whether or not I could afford to go to college.

DukeX6

I am in the exact same boat as your at the moment. To quote what my recruiter told me, "Don't lose hope until your status says "declined." Too bad the wait is far from painless...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I submitted my package around that same time (late November) and didn't find out until April. Don't worry so much about it now and enjoy your last few months of high school.

MrFreakinKite

Thanks for the words... No I did that outside of high school. It was technically an MMA class, but mentally, I just took boxing and kickboxing out of it. I had to quit because of my job.

There were a few chicks in there. Too bad they didn't wrestle with us ;-)

Same

I am in the same boat as you guys, except I enlisted in the Navy in late July. It was always something I had in mind, and I spontaniously decided to go through with it, and I put in an NROTC application in late October. I still haven't heard anything, and it has been getting pretty nerve wrecking knowing that there are very few selections left. Anyone know a selection board schedule?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know the schedule, but when I got mine (I graduated high school in 04) I found out in late May only 2 days before I graduated. If you haven't heard anything yet, don't worry that much!

PooleeMoura

complete same

wow, I feel the same as you guys. I enlisted in August in the Marine Corps and want to be a pilot or maybe a grunt officer. I then was told about the NROTC Scholarship in Novembor and told that it was a great oppurtunity so I put that in and still havn't got back word. I was hearing stuff about announcements dates and watched as they passed on. I even emailed the Capt. who interviewed me and he simply ignored my question. It's been pretty nerveracking not knowing where you'll be in a couple of monthes. Bootcamp in June? or college in August? At least I have comfort that I'll be a Marine eventually lol:D

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Mr. FreakinKite,

It really depends, I had a 1260 SAT (720 Verbal, 540 math), was in sea cadets for 4 years, ran track/cross country for 4 years (captain of both teams for two), had good essays, etc, etc, etc and was denied. I went the college program route and picked up a PNS scholarship after my second term at school. I'm currently due to commission in June and I selected pilot in November. The bottom line is, don't give up if you are not selected. EVERYONE who was a college program MIDN in my unit picked up a scholarship after the first year. Is this typical? I can't say for sure, but I know that at my unit the staff works pretty hard at ensuring people pick up scholarships. They also have money on tap to help out college program students during that first year. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask, hope this helped.

cclement

None
President/Founder of Clear Creek Aviation Club

Are you from League City?? I graduated from Deer Park in 05 =).

And like everyone said no one ever hears that early. I don't think the Navy ROTC scholarships are announced until everyone fills out their intention cards (if you apply to multiple ROTC scholarships or multiple academies). Those are usually sent out in Decemberish, which I think is why it takes so long for them to send out notices of scholarships. Although, scholarship boards are held constantly. My PNS cancels class at least 1 week of every month for boards. I didn't find out until May that I had my scholarship, so it's pretty normal for it to be late.

MrFreakinKite

I think Dear Park whooped our ass at cross country or something like that. Our sports teams are ridiculously bad. I talked to a football player after we lost the homecoming game and he said "Well, we didn't want to break tradition" Sad but true.

Edit: yes I am from League City

rhertz2304

Hey man just to let you know your resume/whole package looks a lot like mine and I got the 4-year scholarship.
best of luck to you
where are you looking to go to school?