• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Argentina moves to blockade Falklands?

goopscoop

Ohhhhhhhh SNAP! Does the Royal Navy still have ships that can float much less travel that far now??? It's amazing how problem players are emboldened when the good guys display weakness in defense prep. Damn...that sounded eerily familiar.

phrogpilot73

Ohhhhhhhh SNAP! Does the Royal Navy still have ships that can float much less travel that far now??? It's amazing how problem players are emboldened when the good guys display weakness in defense prep. Damn...that sounded eerily familiar.
The Ocean, The Illustrious, The Invincible, The Ark Royal...

Yeah, the Brits can't do shit. Stick to what you know, which is nothing.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Phrog73, my bud....
the Limey's couldn't even come close to replicating their little expeditionary mission...the "grand little war" of '82.
Especially since these are gone..:(
36119.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Kirchners have a long history of this kind of thing.

Goopscoop, phrog nailed it. You are woefully misinformed.

phrogpilot73

the Limey's couldn't even come close to replicating their little expeditionary mission...the "grand little war" of '82.
Actually, my statement was geared towards:

Does the Royal Navy still have ships that can float much less travel that far now???
To wit, I stand by my statement - the Brits can still do power projection...

By the way, what are you up to this weekend?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Phrog73, my bud....

It's less the capabilities of the Brits and moreso ARG's lack thereof.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Brits can base plenty of troops and planes on the island to defend it. They can put enough ships around it to block an amphibious invasion. And they have plenty of subs to sink any Argentine warship trying to enforce a blockade - which would be an act of war by the Argentines.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If anyone knows a thing or two about taking off the kid gloves, going around the world, and waffle stomping someone's shit, it's our imperial forefathers. What's their record at this game, like 95 and 1? I wouldn't think the Argentines have much more going for them this time than they did last time...more than likely, significantly less. Did the french sell them more exocets after the little war wrapped up?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Phrog73, my bud....

Actually the Brits would probably do a much better job this time around, while they have less what they do have is qualitatively many times better than what they had 30 years ago. While the Argentinians find their capabilities much worse than where they were in '82, their most modern fighters are reworked A-4's (A-4AR Fightinghawk's). A few Tomahawks from the Her Majesty's subs or destroyers will take care of what the Args do have really quick.

The Vulcan raids are also considered one of the more insignificant parts of the whole campaign, with only three raids resulting in a single crater on the runway, which wasn't handling fighters anyways, and a single radar temporarily disabled. Not much to show for all the effort, more the RAF waving it's flag than anything else.

The Brits can base plenty of troops and planes on the island to defend it. They can put enough ships around it to block an amphibious invasion. And they have plenty of subs to sink any Argentine warship trying to enforce a blockade - which would be an act of war by the Argentines.

They actually have about 1000 military personnel there right now, including a detachment of 4 Typhoon fighters, which can be quickly reinforced from the homeland.

This has more to do with domestic Argentine politics than anything else, just like the war in 1982. The Kirchner's have run into some serious domestic troubles because they have handled the economy in the typical Argentine fashion, with protectionism, price controls and other short-sighted populist measures mixed in with some incendiary rhetoric. What do you get with all that? An economy going down the crapper and restless natives. The solution? Pick on the evil, scheming Brits. The past result? Utter and complete failure followed by your ass getting kicked out of office. Who wants to take bets the last part happens again?