• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Aviation

I know this site is mainly dedicated to Naval Aviation, but I am currently considering all fields and I am trying to get a better grasp of the overall picture. On another thread, someone mentioned something about Army pilots mainly being warrant officers and commissioned officers in the aviation branch fulfilling support roles. How true is this statement? How hard would it be for an officer straight out of ROTC to grab a pilot slot? If I'm looking in the wrong place, does anyone know of an equivalent website where I could find out more about this? Thanks.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I know a Colonel with 20-some-odd years as an apache pilot that has about 800 hours. He came out of ROTC but I don't know how hard it is. We've had a couple guys come out of my school and fly after Army ROTC. From what I've seen Officers take a back seat to Warrant Officers as far as flying is concerned. bobbyrock is an Army Warrant Officer, he could give you the best insight.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Coincidentally, I just helped a couple of AWs down in Pensacola with their warrant applications but provided the following guidance to fore warn them before they submitted their applications;

Before you commit yourself enter Army Aviation you have to understand there is a cultural difference that doesn't exist in any other service. Helicopter pilots are basically a mobility support asset the same as a tank, APC, truck, etc on the battle field. We know it's cooler, but the rest of the Army doesn't care. That said, the quality of life is vastly different than an aviator of the other sister services. Not worse, just different.

It is a true statement that if you want to fly, do not become a 2LT! It's not uncommon to find LTCs (C.O.s) commanding battalions with 500-600 hrs TT) The rank structure aside, you basically choose to branch off on a command track, rather than as a professional pilot. There are exceptions, but generally the CWOs are the unit IPs, Flight leads, etc

Lastly, I tell aspiring Army pilots if you desire to fly helicopters, the Army will absoultely fullfill their end of the bargain. Beyond getting winged, they make no further promises, so don't set yourself for dissapointment by expecting more. Also, your committment after winging is only 6 years, which leaves you young enough to pursue other options. I know many Army aviators that are now flying Hornets, B-1's, Harriers, etc for other services.

I've never had to spend much time in a regular Army unit. If Bobbyrock is lurking around here, he's usually got sound advice for junior birdmen that may be more accurate than mine.

Good Luck!

Mike-

How would a transfer into a pilot slot in another service work? It basically sounds like I should consider another service completely if I want to fly. I'll check out some schools that have NROTC and pray I get into USNA. Thanks for the help, guys!

Birdman

The forum for WOFT/Recruiting questions is down but you can still look at the archived posts from that section.

You might also try the Army Aviation section of military.com

Do you know when/if that site is going back online?

Coota0

None
Kiowapilots.com is up now, just the WOFT/Recruiting section is down. The announcement I saw said that the WOFT/Recruiting section would be back up eventually.

bobbybrock

None
I know this site is mainly dedicated to Naval Aviation, but I am currently considering all fields and I am trying to get a better grasp of the overall picture. On another thread, someone mentioned something about Army pilots mainly being warrant officers and commissioned officers in the aviation branch fulfilling support roles. How true is this statement? How hard would it be for an officer straight out of ROTC to grab a pilot slot? If I'm looking in the wrong place, does anyone know of an equivalent website where I could find out more about this? Thanks.

Sterman pretty much hit the head of the nail on this one. Things in Army aviaion are just different.
What you really have to ask yourself CWJones is do you want to fly or lead? As a Regular officer in the Army you'll get the chance to do both. The only thing is you'll be more of admin. type then an aviator as your career progresses. Senior Captains, majors and LTC's fly very little in the REGULAR ARMY.
The other thing to consider is this, as an ARMY ROTC cadet you will not be guranteed a pilot slot. As a civilan WOFT candidate you will. If you take the warrant officer option and later decide that you'd like to become a regular officer then you can and it will be as an aviator not some other field such as infantry or armor. I've had many friends start out as warrants and later take a regular commision in not only the Army but also the AF , CG and Navy.
Another option to consider is the guard. I currently fly for the federal goverment and fly HH-60's for the guard on the weekends. It is a pretty good gig. As a regular officer you fly more than your active duty counter parts.
If you are located close to a guard unit it is something you might want to look into to. PM me if you have any question and i'll see if I can set you in the right direction.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I am an Army aviator on the commissioned side. I am currently deployed and logging around 85 hours per month in the aircraft. That being said, I am by far the high-time "staff" aviator (staff = anyone not in a troop, which is any commissioned officer that is not a platoon leader or a commander, so about 90% of commissioned folks, and a very few senior warrants who are the standardization and safety pilots at the squadron level). The low time commissioned guy has logged 20 total hours since we arrived in country last July. The average is about 150 total for commissioned folks right now, I am at about 340 as the high time staffer. The average warrant has about 500 with the high time warrants around 600 and low time around 400.

Kiowapilots is a great place to ask these questions, as the Kiowa is the greatest aircraft in my severely biased opinion. In all seriousness there are a lot of good people on that forum more than willing to share their experiences. Be cautious of advice about Army Aviation from those outside of it - just as I would advise you be cautious about any advice I would give on Navy Aviation because at the end of the day I dont know jack s*** about it except the F18s that fly over us at many thousands of feet can often see things on the ground better than we can from 50 feet and that is cool.

So, here is what I can tell you about Army Aviation. Yes, it is the Army. You will have to take PT tests and do ruck marches and get rifle qualified and sleep in tents in the field. But you are a pilot. You can tranverse the national airspace system as well as any of your bretheren (and sisteren) in other branches. Its just a different mission. Personally, I dig it. I fly 30 feet off the ground in a 50 degree bank so that I can look down into a hole and see if there is an IED in it. I am in radio comms with the Private that is driving the up-armored humvee so I can tell him if I see anything. I carry smoke for marking hazards during the day which I throw out of the cockpit, and chem lights at night. I wave a rifle at bad guys trying to flee and give him hand and arm signals to halt until the ground guys arrive to arrest his ass. I hover in front of cars to make them stop. Then on the same day I can climb to 5,000 feet and shoot an instrument approach to an airport the same as any other pilot. Its a great mix and it keeps any of it from getting old.

As far as the warrant/commissioned discussion, I will defer to lil_wings from kiowapilots.com who posted the following on that site, which I think sums up the commissioned side quite well:

In all truth, you just get tired. You get your flight time logged as an LT (where you get bitch-smacked by warrant officers twice your age and military experience). You get ok at what you do after a deployment, but you start to get sick of the Army.

Then you go to the Advanced Course and you fall in love with the military all over again. You make some plans about what you think you'll do as a Troop Commander. You're even willing to spend a little time as a Staff Guy to get there.

You take a year in staff. It drains you a little. You get pissed at the stupidity or some of your peers. Then you take a Troop Command. You vow to never forget your time in staff, but you do. You become selfish and self-centered as a Troop Commander (but it's ok, because you're usually doing what you have to do to preserve your fighting force). Maybe you get lucky after a year, and you get another Troop (like the AVUM, or something).

Then it's off to school again... and another turn in Staff. It's a big fat flippin' hamster wheel, but you're chances of SQDN/ BN command are even slimmer than Kate Moss' ass. Most go to a BDE staff. Some come to a BN and become an S3 or XO... fighting the evil BDE staff.

Long story short, dude? You just get flippin' tired as a CPT sometimes. Frankly, you also get a little pissed because the really good CPTs aren't sticking around when there is such good cash to be made on the outside world... the good ones leave, and the bad ones stay... and get promoted.

bobbybrock

None
Then on the same day I can climb to 5 said:
What typr of approaches are you flying in A 58D? When I left active duty the only thing the 64's and 58D's had was an ADF reciever. And that was for emergency approaches.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What typr of approaches are you flying in A 58D? When I left active duty the only thing the 64's and 58D's had was an ADF reciever. And that was for emergency approaches.

Are you serious? No TACAN or ILS?

Brett

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Are you serious? No TACAN or ILS?

Brett

Not in the black bus, sit back and watch the fully coupled autopilot bring you down on the ILS, while simultaneously decelling and terminate to a 40' hover at the approach end of the runway. It'll spoil you big time!