• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Aviation

russ651

None
What typr of approaches are you flying in A 58D? When I left active duty the only thing the 64's and 58D's had was an ADF reciever. And that was for emergency approaches.

The kind that say "For Emergency Use Only" on them.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
58D uses EGI (GPS) approach. That is what I was refering to - sorry, it was on the top of my head as I had just gotten back from emergency procedure training. We do not have TACAN, ILS or NDB. If we pop in the clouds, we declare an emergency and state we have no NAVAIDS on board and do a ground controlled approach (GCA) or shoot an approach using GPS.

I was just trying to say that we can do cool swoopy flying then transition inside the aircraft and fly straight and level in the national airspace like any other aircraft.

bobbybrock

None
This is probably the best example of the mentality of the Big Army. The attack communities ( 64 & 58D's) for one reason or another are not given the equipment to fly instruments , but have to pass an annual check ride just like the lift guys who have VOR, NDB ,VOR and TACANS. The new M model 60 will have a four axis autopilot just like the one Sterman flys. Hopefully the ARH will have some type of instrument package.

Skeet

Banned
You've got some good info, already. Let me just add, as a CWO , I normally had more hours than my CO. No big deal. I'm currently in training as a security contractor, and I'll leave for Iraq in a few weeks. I'll be making more money flying than I could imagine a few years ago.

bobbybrock

None
Simply put. If you go Army aviation and your main goal is to fly, go Warrant. If you want to fly and get some management experience become a Regular officer.
Like Skeet said as a mid grade CW02 you'll have more hours than most of your Company commanders.
While deployed last year I ran into a flight school class mate of mine. He was a Regular officer. In our 13 years of service he was proud to have 1100 hours. I had just over 3400 hundred at the time. So you can see the difference in what you'll fly.

Thanks for all the help, guys. On a slightly related topic, does anyone know where I can find out more about the military intelligence branch? Sorry, I know this is the wrong place to ask...

Coota0

None
If you do go Warrant stay on your recruiter's back. I was supposed to be up for this week's board but found out today that the packet didn't get sent up in time and I know have to wait another month.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
If you do go Warrant stay on your recruiter's back. I was supposed to be up for this week's board but found out today that the packet didn't get sent up in time and I know have to wait another month.

There is no board this week. Nor is there one next month. The next board is 19-23 March, for which your packet had to be in by 1 February. Then there is one in May, for which your packet needs to be in on 1 April. Look at the website below for all the info you ever wanted about becoming a warrant. You dont even really need a recruiter for most of it.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Coota0

None
That's the schedule for the current military board. There is one every month at the beginning of the month for civilians applying for WOFT.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Just heard a radio ad here in Jax about WOFT. I was like, "Hrm...garunteed flying, huh?" They must be hard up to place radio ads, eh? It got my wheels turning.

Coota0

None
Just heard a radio ad here in Jax about WOFT. I was like, "Hrm...garunteed flying, huh?" They must be hard up to place radio ads, eh? It got my wheels turning.

My thoughts too. No ads yet here in Dallas. They can't be too hard up though, when I signed my contract last Friday the WOFT bonus was no longer being given.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I can assure you, if selected for WOFT, you are guaranteed to fly. In fact, in your first 15 mos after graduation from flight school, you'll probably log between 500-700 hours...in OIF/OEF. If you truly want to learn to fly helicopters, an Army Warrant Officer Aviator is one of the best deals going. Just read the fine print, and know what you're getting yourself into. Once you sign on the dotted line, there's no saying "I didn't know it was going to be like this."