• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army Chief Warrant Pilot Retires after 43 years!

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I am sure with an attitude like that you would get along famously in our unit. You do know 60% of the units deployed are guard and reserve don't you? Seriously, if you think that is what the guard is like, you need to stop by a guard aviation unit getting ready to deploy or returning from deployment. Or stop by our unit anytime in J'ville.

I'd love to stop by a guard unit and see what it's like. Not trying to knock it, just don't really understand it. I'm also basing my opinion on a Oklahoma national guard grunt unit. Hell, if it's as good as you guys make it sound, I might end up there!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I'd love to stop by a guard unit and see what it's like. Not trying to knock it, just don't really understand it. I'm also basing my opinion on a Oklahoma national guard grunt unit.

Wouldn't you hate if people formed an opinion of you based on Joe Sailor stationed on an oiler? Saying aviation in the Army National Guard is like an adult CAP based on your view of an infantry unit in Oklahoma isn't what I would call wise.

Hell, if it's as good as you guys make it sound, I might end up there!

So you 'might end up there?' You don't think someone might remember your CAP comment? I have news for you. People remember things like that. Even if they don't, they will pick up on your attitude.

Wearing the wings of gold is something to be proud of, but don't ever think for a moment you have exclusivity on hard work and dedication. And those wings can't hide the fact that you are an a'hole (if that is the case).

Come on over to the Guard, but be prepared to work hard or be embarassed(or embarassing).

phrogpilot73

So here's a question, could you retire from the Reserves and then become a NG technician? (From what I understand, technicians are dudes that fly full-time for the Guard as civilians, then slap on a uniform come drill weekend. I may have the term wrong, but I remember someone mentioning that too me. It could be limited to the ANG though).

Lawman

None
So here's a question, could you retire from the Reserves and then become a NG technician? (From what I understand, technicians are dudes that fly full-time for the Guard as civilians, then slap on a uniform come drill weekend. I may have the term wrong, but I remember someone mentioning that too me. It could be limited to the ANG though).

You can also work as a Department of the Army Civilian and hold a position in the National Guard as well. We have several IP's out at the flightline that do just that. Their home unit basically cuts them loose from having to come in and drill because they know the guy is logging time, getting his APART, have his phys done, etc and its all on Big Army's dime as apose to the states money.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The flyin's GREAT in the Reserves and it's even better in some GUARD units that I flew alongside ... you were your 'own man' to a much greater degree than was customary on active duty. At least the comparison was valid when I was on ACDU and later flew as a Reserve Bum.

I always recommend the Reserves (or a cigarette) 'after' ... but there's one thing that seems to be missing in the discussion.

Don't ANY of you guys want a 'real life' or a 'future' outside of government?
Something other than working 100% in your ground-pounding capacity for UNCLE for the rest of your productive years ... ??? Don't any of you want a 'life' wherein you are able to make some choices, have some options, live where you want to live (at least to a degree) ... or mebbe even start your OWN business ... and mebbe even GET RICH as a result??? 'Cause you ain't ever gonna' do that while workin' for the MAN ...

I know a LOT of guys who flew in the Reserves until they had to quit -- and they had that tangential job in the government at the same time. While they usually 'loved' the flyin' ... they had to put up with the mindless B.S. forever and ever ... they didn't like it (unless they were 'easily satisfied') ... as they were never their 'own man'.

A lot of you are very talented and have a lot of skills -- working for UNCLE both IN and OUT of uniform can be ... well, stifling. It may not seem like that when you're 30-ish ... but it will when you're 60-ish. :)