• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army-Navy Country Club

SlickAg

pilot
Is anybody on here a member of the ANCC who's taken advantage of the waived initiation fee for newly commissioned officers?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I've been a member since 1995. It and the Army-Navy Club (which is actually a completely differently organization) are the two best deals newly commissioned officers can fall into. As far as ANCC goes, if you're a golfer it's a no-brainer. The courses are very nice, easily the equal of many in the DC area. As a member you also have access to 54 holes (at two different locations, Arlington and Fairfax) - which is way more than any other private club in the area, and more than most clubs in the whole country. Tennis facilities are also extremely nice.

Dues are very reasonable if you're a Nonresident Member (i.e., not living in DC). If you're in DC, it works out to be $300/month - steep for a JO, but

a) Not many JOs live in DC, and
b) It's cheap relative to the other clubs.

A side benefit is "reciprocal membership" in a lot of US and worldwide clubs - like the classic British clubs of St James/Mayfair. Places I would never stand a chance of getting in without this sort of association - it's nice to see how the other half lives occasionally.

I can't tell you the number of people I run into who say "I wish I had taken advantage of that when I was commissioned!" If you ever plan on living in Northern Virginia, you can't beat it. Plus you can meet some really interesting people out on the course, and golf is a useful social skill...

Ex Rigger

pilot
Are you a member of both the Country Club and the Army-Navy Club? I have looked into the dues for the Club and found them extremely cheap....$120 a year for the first 5 years. I thought that it seems to be an incredible deal especially with the fact that after Lt. jg you have to have a sponsor. As a newly commissioned officer you don't. I would be a nonresident member but I thought that it would be a good idea to join now.
As far as the Country Club goes, I couldn't find any information on the dues or membership. Your saying that they have reciprocal clubs also?

SlickAg

pilot
I e-mailed the ANCC and they sent me some info and an application. Basically, all you have to do is show them proof of commissioning and you're in w/ no initation fee, and you pay the the non-resident dues. As far as I know, they are not associated with anything like Club Corp of America (CCA), but if you want to play a private course or country club somewhere, usually they will let you if you belong to a club somewhere. You just call the pro at the ANCCa nd ask them to call the pro at the club you want to play at, and they can work it out. That's one of the major reasons I'm doing it, I'd like to be able to belong to a country club for the reciprocity benefits w/o having to join a new one every year while in the training command.

Ex Rigger

pilot
As far as I know, they are not associated with anything like Club Corp of America (CCA), but if you want to play a private course or country club somewhere, usually they will let you if you belong to a club somewhere.
How much were the non-resident dues? And are you sure about the above? Surely I couldn't play 3 times a week for free at the local clubs just by being a member of the ANCC.

SlickAg

pilot
They bill you at your home club, unless your organization/club has full reciprocity privileges. It might be a little too expensive for thrice weekly use, but a couple of times a month at a quality course wouldn't be too bad. I don't remember the exact cost per year for non-resident, but I will check when I'm home at Thanksgiving. I think you get 14 days of golf course and clubhouse use under the non-resident deal; I'm not sure exactly but as a non-resident you get a limited number of days for facility use.

phrogpilot73

I used to be a member, but after being out of the DC area for 7 years, and planning on staying in the southeast, I cancelled my membership. If you plan on making a career/returning to the DC area, I recommend it!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Are you a member of both the Country Club and the Army-Navy Club? I have looked into the dues for the Club and found them extremely cheap....$120 a year for the first 5 years. I thought that it seems to be an incredible deal especially with the fact that after Lt. jg you have to have a sponsor. As a newly commissioned officer you don't. I would be a nonresident member but I thought that it would be a good idea to join now.
As far as the Country Club goes, I couldn't find any information on the dues or membership. Your saying that they have reciprocal clubs also?

I'm a member of both, but I'm afraid I "mixed my metaphors" in the first post - I meant to include a section on the Army Navy Club, and then didn't preview the message....

The Army-Navy Club (the non-golf one, on Farragut Square in DC) is the one with the well-established reciprocal club list - all of which are traditional British-style "gentleman's clubs" (no, not that kind.). When you go stay at or visit one, you have a letter of introduction from ANC, and they then bill your membership at home. For Army Navy Country Club, they can help you set up a tee time at another club, but this is a much more rare occurrence - a scenario you might use them is when you are going to the UK, and the clubs there want some "letter of introduction" from your home club, stating your handicap, membership, etc. Nothing is free, though - you'll still have to pay. Also, it's not like you can show up at Cypress Point or Burning Tree waving your ANCC handicap card; you'll get laughed out of the parking lot.

The golf at ANCC is always free, though - you can play dawn til dusk every day for a month and you'd still only pay your monthly dues. You still have to pay for a cart, though. But golf is a walking game anyway, so that's not an issue.

They are both great deals, but the "bigger deal" is probably ANCC. The Army Navy Club is nice, and for the first 5 years the dues are incredibly cheap, especially as a non-resident. But it's still pretty much a restaurant and mini-hotel - the ANCC is a huge country club complex with all the amenities.