• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army O-3 enlists in the Marine Corps

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

Wut? To each their own, but damn, there's going to be some weird dynamics going on here. Stripes level shit...

Couldn’t he have gotten a similar and admittedly better experience via an IST to be a Marine Infantry Officer?

This is like if a Legacy captain volunteered to go back and be a regional FO for the “experience” I mean you -can- but why the hell would you? Self flagellation or some sort of misplaced feeling that he needs to prove himself?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Couldn’t he have gotten a similar and admittedly better experience via an IST to be a Marine Infantry Officer?

This is like if a Legacy captain volunteered to go back and be a regional FO for the “experience” I mean you -can- but why the hell would you? Self flagellation or some sort of misplaced feeling that he needs to prove himself?
Yeah, not sure he thought this one through. If I was on a board for E to O accessions, I'd have a lot of questions.

Wish him the best of luck, but I couldn't imagine being an Army captain in your mid to late 20's and doing this...I guess he'll be the dude who gets all the beer for the barracks though.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
why the hell would you? Self flagellation or some sort of misplaced feeling that he needs to prove himself?
In this case, I’d guess your standard Gen Z FOMO/ indecision/ grass is greener-ism.

Same as we see every day in the private sector interviewing IT professionals asking $190k with 5 past jobs and 4 years of experience.

taxi1

pilot
I admire the dude. He's centered...knows what he wants, and wasn't getting it.

If he stays in enlisted for a full career (I know he wants to commission eventually, but if not...), what would he retire as?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

If he stays in enlisted for a full career (I know he wants to commission eventually, but if not...), what would he retire as?

An E-7O. That's where the VA gives you a rating and then takes back a portion of your retirement each month, because F you, Gunny, that's why.

;)

number9

Contributor
I find the whole thing so bizarre. I get that he may not have felt fulfilled as a loggie, but why not shoot your shot and apply for Selection, or Ranger School, or any number of challenging Army opportunities?

I want this dude to be happy but I feel like he'll regret this.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

He would get service credit for 6 yrs Army but would retire as an E. Pretty sure you need 10 yrs as an O to retire as an O.

I heard a story of a WW2 US submariner who held command at sea of a sub as a LCDR with a battlefield/temporary commission, then after the war he was reverted to and retired as a Chief (with gold dolphins).

Last edited: