• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB 1 Point Waiver?

knigry01

OCC 193...SNFO
If anybody could help with this i'd sure appreciate it. I recently completed the ATSB with 5,5,5 and a 55. My OSO told me i could apply for NFO with these scores and a waiver or retake the test and apply with new scores (i didn't study much, wanted to see how i'd do the first time). Which would be the better choice? I'd really like to apply with these scores and get the ball rolling to get into the october ocs class. Other factors of my app are good, pft, etc. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've got no real experience to speak from (especially w/ USMC air contracts), but I would imagine that doing well on the ASTB would be in your best interest when it comes to applying (like anything). If you didn't study or anything before taking this exam, I'm sure the next time you take it (if you study in the mean-time) you will improve on your score. Is there some sort of rush to get into OCS for you? (i.e are you approaching the maximum age for your application). That said, from everything that I have heard, those minimum scores are not exactly competitive in the first place. Putting the least amount of effort into your package isn't going to exactly inspire faith in you from your OSO. If I were you, I would definitely re-take, especially if pilot is what you want.

knigry01

OCC 193...SNFO
I'm applying for NFO, and the reason i'm debating on whether or not to take it again is that my OSO thought my app stood a good chance of being accepted. I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this and if this one point waiver thing was a crock or not. I'm 23 so age isn't really a factor, i'm just pumped to get started with this career. (plus my contract with my job right now runs out in august, so getting in the october class would really work well for me.) Thanks for the advice.

A 55 OAR is not bad, but 5/5/5 is not so hot. My first app for Pilot/NFO was 57 6/6/7 or something like that, and I was turned down for both slots. Be sure to study well enough before retaking it though, because as jai5w4 said the last test counts no matter what. My second test was a 47, so obviously I had to take it again (and there's a mandatory wait period between retakes).

Finally got in as NFO with 58 7/7/8. Anyway, your "overall package" is what's the most important, although they do really look at your GPA and test scores.

I'm surprised your OSO is saying those scores are competitive for NFO, mine certainly would not have. Then again, I applied Navy not USMC so maybe that would make a difference.

batman527

Banned
A Marine Corps OSO told me that you could only take the ASTB three times. He said that I should study hard for the first one so even if I have a bad day and kind of tank on the test, it at least won't be because I wasn't prepared for it, therefore won't be flushing one of my three attempts down the toilette. Any thoughts on that? Or should I just take it once to see see how I do an use the other two attempts to fine tune it?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
DanielSon said:
A Marine Corps OSO told me that you could only take the ASTB three times. He said that I should study hard for the first one so even if I have a bad day and kind of tank on the test, it at least won't be because I wasn't prepared for it, therefore won't be flushing one of my three attempts down the toilette. Any thoughts on that? Or should I just take it once to see see how I do an use the other two attempts to fine tune it?

As I see it, taking the test without studying is pretty much a waste. Why do it at all if its just a means to get an idea of what it will be like? Study hard the first time, and maybe you'll blow it away. If you take the test and do ****ty, you've blown one of your chances. Three may seem like a lot, but with things getting increasingly competitive, you might need all the help you can get. Also, there's a mandatory wait between retakes, which just delays your app further. You'll have plenty of waiting once you get in, so you may as well expedite things where you can.

knigry01

OCC 193...SNFO
okay, so i just got done meeting with my OSO and she informed me that she has been hearing in the last two weeks that the one point waiver is going away. So, i'm going to be retaking the test in three weeks while getting my primary physical and pft done and hopefully i can bump it up a point.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
I don't know how it works in that region. However, if you take the ASTB and miss it by 1 in the Eastern Region you're cleared hot for a waiver for Pilot. However, you have to take it twice in order to get a waiver for NFO.

FLY_USMC

pilot
As much as I don't think they are lying, there is no such thing as a one point waiver. Try to find the MARADMIN or whatever they're called for it, you won't find one.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
All Marine Corps Recruiting Command (MCRC) level waivers do not fall under MARADMINS. They fall under frost calls and directives within MCRC. Just like you won't find most of the Recruiting Volumes I, II, III, IV, or MPPM on recruiting in general via the internet. Therefore, you have to talk to an actual OSO to find the information. Just like drug waivers, police involvement waivers, etc...

Navyfan06

pilot
This would really help my buddie out...does any one know if the Navy does this "one point waiver" for NFO's ??

Thanks