• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Question

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
I have taken the ASTB in the past using the Arco 6th edition book to study with. I had not used this site prior to my first take of the test and ended up getting a 5, 6, 6, 50 score. The first test I took was version 3, and while taking it I quickly realized that the Arco book was really only good for the spatial section.

Since then I have become fimilar with this site and the avialable gouge. I have memorized most of the avialable material, and am about to retake the test (version 1 or 2). So here is what I am curious about:

From the gouge I gained off this site what would be the most valuable for me to skim over agian before retaking the test?

I am assuming that my score should increase to some degree since I realized that most of the information I got wrong was offered here...

Thoughts?

FastMover

NFO
None
You should just concentrate on whatever subject(s) you feel weak in. When I took the test the second time my scores didn't change at all. Then I took it again a third time and my scores went down.

BTW, they no longer use forms 1 or 2. Now it's 3,4,and 5.

red_ryder

None
Agreed, and don't forget to study the aviation and nautical knowledge. Study all the parts til you're confident in each one.

couell3584

I just took the astb today for the first time and am too shamed to give my scores. I only studied over the weekend because from word of mouth the test was supposed to be easy. I didnt go to the academy and have been out of school for a long time. I had no idea the time would crunch me so bad. Can anyone give me any valuable pointers. Im retaking this thing in 30 days prepared this time.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I just took the astb today for the first time and am too shamed to give my scores. I only studied over the weekend because from word of mouth the test was supposed to be easy. I didnt go to the academy and have been out of school for a long time. I had no idea the time would crunch me so bad. Can anyone give me any valuable pointers. Im retaking this thing in 30 days prepared this time.

Learn from what went wrong and take it when you are ready next time.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
there was a new ASTB gouge thread about a week ago... I browsed through it and it looks pretty good.

Obviously you'll have to study what you did poorly on.

What gave you the most trouble?

lax014

I took the ASTB in early Jan. Math and Mechanical was easy for me, spatial was not too bad just don't think to much about it and trust yourself on it. Reading part sucks with it being timed if your not a fast reader. Hardest part for me was the aviation and nautical information because it is new to me, wish i spent more time studying that.

I had found good practice in the arco books and prep'd for about a month before taking the test studying a lil bit each night and not overloading.

Mfdeport

Focus on the sections that you are less confident with. In terms of math, practice that stuff until you can sort through problems in your sleep. If you have utilized the information on this site, than you should be fine. I studied from three different test prep books and every practice test that I could find. I still feel like airwarriors is the best source of information that you are going to find. I was much more confident taking the ASTB in the beginning of October after having looked over this site. My results were 7/8/7, 54

lugoismad

I took it last week. I flipped through the ARCO study guide, and spent an evening reading online about nautical knowledge and Naval History on wikipedia.

To me, it wasn't any different than the ACT or SAT.

The only thing that threw me off was the spatial awareness section. Everything else was a breeze. Oh, and the parts of an airplane, like what do rudders do? However, if you could rule out the 3 or 4 answers that were definitely NOT what they did, then you were fine. I think one of them asked if the ailerons turned on autopilot. As long as you can use logic to look at what you have, then you'll be fine.

I scored a 55 5/5/5, and that was on about 2 hours of sleep, and I'd just drove about 3 hours to get there. And some dude wouldn't quit talking in the background, and I was having a tough time blocking that out. Had I been better rested, and drop kicked the talking guy, I think I could have gotten a much better score.

From what I've seen of people talking on here, it seems like alot of you are cramming for a test that is more a logic and critical thinking test, rather than a test that requires alot of memorization.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
Just got back from my retake...

scored a 6, 6, 6, 51

I am submitting with this score... Thinking it should be enough with everything else...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I scored a 55 5/5/5, and that was on about 2 hours of sleep, and I'd just drove about 3 hours to get there. And some dude wouldn't quit talking in the background, and I was having a tough time blocking that out. Had I been better rested, and drop kicked the talking guy, I think I could have gotten a much better score.

From what I've seen of people talking on here, it seems like alot of you are cramming for a test that is more a logic and critical thinking test, rather than a test that requires alot of memorization.
You realize that a 55 5/5/5 is pretty bad if you're going for aviation, right?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
but not horrible with no practice and sleep. I wish those were my first scores. Hell, I would take his OAR.

lugoismad

You realize that a 55 5/5/5 is pretty bad if you're going for aviation, right?

Thats why I'm not going for aviation. I don't want to fly, I'm just around here for the OCS info. I applied for Information Warfare and supply. My degree is in engineering.

And like I said, I admit I could do better. But I scored a 30 on my ACT and a 1300 on my SAT, so I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to taking tests. And like I said, atleast to ME, it seemed like it was a more logic and reasoning test, not a memorization challenge.

I was just trying to help out, not start a flame war.